“TERRIBLE!” 1 of 5 stars

Add it.
No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Austin
Wellesley Inn & Suites Austin Town Lake
1001 South IH-35, Austin, TX 78741 (South Austin)   |
Ranked #149 of 182 hotels in Austin
Austin TX
“TERRIBLE!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2005

My husband and I stayed here in October. The rooms are pretty basic, and as others have noted, the location is close to town but also close to a major highway where we saw homeless men with signs standing nearby. Our biggest problem was with one of the staff who was totally incompetent. In our first room, my husband wanted to take a bath, but the bath plug was missing, so we called the staff, who said he would bring one right up. After waiting, and falling asleep, two hours later we asked again and the manager said "oh, yeah, I couldn't find one..." So we asked for (politely!)and received another room. This room ended up being terrible, as next door to us, and apparently living there indefinitely, was a drunk couple who got into violent, screaming matches from midnight on, and had people "visiting them" and banging on their door yelling "Let me in you -------! Give me my money!!!) throughout the night! By 4:30am, unable to sleep, we packed our bags and demanded another room, and the manager says "Oh, yeah they live here and people complain about them all the time, but it's hard to get rid of them..." We were so angry but we had prepaid and were due to check out the following day. I cannot believe that a hotel (and its guests) has to put up with that kind of guest. We had a terrific time in Austin and put up with the hotel by staying away from it as much as possible. That experience has taught me to not pre-pay for a hotel in the future and always have a back up plan in case the hotel is not as it appears on the internet.

• Stayed October 2004

6 people have reviewed this hotel

Families
Couples
Solo
Branchburg, New Jersey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2004

I've stayed in 5 stars hotels and other brands of hotels. Here is my assessment of this hotel: The hotel is old and a bit dirty. That was my first impression. But, I got a perfect view of downtown Austin and the river, a balcony (nothing fancy), kitchenette, fridge, and good TV channels, and quite good complimentary breakfast (i've tried other hotels; this one has a quite decent quality of food). Pretty close to anywhere. After the first night I started liking this hotel for the price I got. A bit noisy since it is off the I-35.

A friend of mine stayed in the Holiday Inns nearby was laughing at my 'inexpensive' choice of hotel, but he got crawled on by some cockroach in his hotel room... I guess I got the last laugh.

As long as you bring a pair of sandals with you, you'll be OK.

• Stayed August 2004, traveled on business
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2004

It was a great deal and is probably a nice place to stay if you're a family on vacation, but if you're going to use public transit and run around town alone you'd be better off getting a safer place. If you take the bus you get harassed by hordes of homeless people (not really hordes, but an unusually high amount), and it's pretty unsafe there at night. Otherwise, it wasn't that bad - nice little kitchen with a full-sized refrigerator, a lot of channels on the tv, and a pretty view over the lake with the skyline of the city.

• Stayed March 2004, traveled on business
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2004

We stayed at the Wellesley Inn in late March and had a wonderful time! The staff was very curtious and most helpful with directions and different things. The hotel is a little old (probably 40 years) but that was o.k. with us. It had a beautiful view of down town Austin, TX and overlooked Austin Town Lake. The value for the location cannot be beat!

1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2004

We got a great deal on the hotel, but it was not worth it. The hotel is old. It is dirty. It is close to downtown, but not within walking distance. When you shower it doesn't drain well so you are standing in a tub full of water. The bathroom floor was very dirty. I did not take off my socks the entire time. I would have rather slept in my sleeping bag on top of the bed. I would not stay there again. It also does not look anything like the hotel pictured on the website so don't be deceived.

Been to Wellesley Inn & Suites Austin Town Lake? Share your experiences!