“VERY NICE” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #117 of 187 Hotels in Austin
Gilmer Texas
“VERY NICE”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2007

Very nice hotel. Beautifully appointed. Close to downtown and easily accessed from I35. Nice bed linens and very comfortable matress. Very clean. Would definately stay here again.

• Liked — nice;clean
  • Disliked — small bathroom
  • Stayed July 2007
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
Falls Church, Virginia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2007

The hotel is in a decent location, close to downtown Austin and easy to get to from the Austin airport. It is located on an access road off the highway, not exactly the best scenery around! Staff was friendly and helpful. Our toilet handle broke during our stay and they repaired it while we were out and left a voucher for a free drink and some chocolates with a note apologizing for the inconvenience. Too bad they couldn't make up for the rock hard beds though. The beds are not comfortable, but you get used to it after the first night. Our room was pretty large, but the bathroom area with the toilet and shower was very small and hard to move around in. The room had a desk and reading chair and plenty of storage and room to hang clothes. The hotel was clean, but seemed old and not what i was used to at other Courtyards. Due to freezing weather during our stay, we did not use the pool facilities. We also did not want to pay for the expensive breakfast at the hotel. There was plenty of parking and a computer in the lobby to check flight information and find out information about things to do while in Austin which was convenient. Overall, it was an OK stay, good enough for a brief weekend visit, if only they would upgrade the beds!

• Disliked — Uncomfortable beds
  • Stayed January 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
New Orleans
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2006

got an internet special at $71/night for business meetings. location very convenient but that was a mistake. the room & amenities were way overpriced for what I got. the bed was as hard as a rock. the pool and whirlpool were dirty; even old cigarette wrappers floating in water. breakfast overpriced. the staff was very nice and helpful, but I had no sleep because of the terrible bed. needed to stay in austin an extra night, but decided to get another hotel at higher price because after two days, I needed some sleep. The internet connection didn't work. I had to go to another site to get some work done.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — bed
  • Tips/Secrets — get another hotel
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Upstate, South Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2005

In the past during our stays in Austin, we have stayed at the full service Marriott downtown, but decide to use points and take a chance on the closest Courtyard to downtown Austin. This property is located at I-35 and RT 2222 (less then 10 minutes to downtown & 6th street), and is the best run hotel we have stayed in many years.

From the moment we hit the front door, the staff was friendly and the hotel was spotless. We had been on the road with the kids for over a week, and the front desk quickly upgraded us to a larger room (extra work area and sleeper sofa) with great view of downtown Austin. We had a few maint. problems in the room and they were repaired within hours, and the staff in the cafe was wonderful with our kids at breakfast.

In most hotels you either get nice property and bad staff, or great staff and old proprerty, but this one has it all. Great location, and a staff from front desk management, maids, maintenance, servers, who all get it. They truly make you feel like a guest, and we would highly recommend this Courtyard by Marriott by a country mile for busines or pleasure.

• Stayed August 2005, traveled on business
A TripAdvisor Member
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2005

You can get a better deal somewhere else. The $10 for breakfast is nutts. I rarely pay that much for lunches. There are more affordable and accomidating places to stay that have complimentary breakfast.

Also, I needed some dental floss that ran me $1.50 for about 2 yards. Those things should be free and are free at places like Holiday Inn Express. I stayed from Monday to Friday, had to throw in a (Very Small) load of laundry. They say a dollar to wash and a dollar to dry. Not the case because I had to run the dryer two times to get my shirts and socks dry.

They do have high speed internet but it is a wired connection, no wireless.

The people working the front desk were helpful and polite. The card reader system somehow lost my key info so I had to come back down from the 9th floor to get my card reprogrammed. That is probably one of the most aggrivating things for me to deal with at a hotel especially after working all day. There were others getting their cards reprogrammed when I got to the front desk.

The room was pretty small and I am a big guy. I had to slide sideways at time to get around the door when entering. Its almost impossible to stand and use the ironing board without knocking stuff over.

Probably the most positive thing I can say is all residents can use the Golds Gym down the street. Its 24 hours and loaded with equipment. Maybe its the area but there were "Thug-Like" people in there which can make most people uneasy.

Anyway, all in all it was an OK stay but I think I will stay somewhere else next time. At least I can have a begal and coffee without paying $10.

• Stayed June 2005, traveled on business
Newton, Massachusetts
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2005

Stayed at the Courtyard Austin Central for one night in February and found it to be pretty average. Though the room was small, it was clean and comfortable and I did not hear any noise from the nearby highway. Service was friendly and helpful.

There is a business center available for guest use. Unfortunately, when I went to use it first thing in the morning, I was told that the computer had been stolen from the room the night before! Couldn't believe it. The staff was very accommodating, however, and helped me print the documents I needed from the computer in the back office.

All told, the experience was fine, but I'll look into other options for my next stay in Austin.

• Stayed February 2005, traveled on business
Washington, D.C.
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2005

I stayed at the Austin Courtyard Central in March 2005 and found it an ok stay. Had a midweek room rate of $85 per night, which seemed reasonable. Hotel is in good shape and service was responsive. Hotel is located on the access road to southbound Interstate Highway 35, north of Austin, a little isolated from the mall or restaurants, and probably on the maximum side of comfortable walking distance from anything, producing a sense of being trapped at the hotel.
Lots of little nagging problems that diminished the enjoyment of the stay: 1) They charge $9.95 +tax for breakfast, which I've become spoiled as being included in the room rate. The breakfast included several hot items, but the charge comes out of my pocket rather than my company's, so I'm more sensitive to it. 2) The set of basic cable channels available seemed unusually limited. They did offer one HBO channel as standard, but basic mainstays like History Channel were nowhere to be seen. 3) It's a drivers' world. Ok, everyone in Texas drives everywhere, but that hardly excuses the front desk's complete ignorance about what was within walking distance of the hotel and how best to get there. On two occasions, heard front desk claim guests simply could not/should not even entertain the idea of walking to nearby restaurants visible from the hotel, not because it was unsafe (I found my own way) but because it was somehow unthinkable. Front desk seemed unaware of sidewalk existence that would get you across IH-35 only 1/5 mile up the road. Staff needs to get to know the neighborhood, where the sidewalks go, and where they don't.

• Stayed March 2005, traveled on business

Been to Courtyard Austin - University Area? Share your experiences!