“Clean but tired” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #117 of 187 Hotels in Austin
Boston, MA
“Clean but tired”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2014

Stayed for 2 nights in late January for a company meeting at the hotel. Rooms are definitely in need of updating which is scheduled to begin sometime in the next few months. Everything worked, nothing was peeling, hard and soft furnishings all seemed to be clean and well maintained but the colors, finishes are definitely ready to be updated. The room was a very good size but the bathroom was small, thankfully the vanity area is separate. As a light sleeper, I appreciated that the room was quiet and I was fortunately well away from the elevator bank. Lobby is also the older Courtyard design and is scheduled for updating. The folks at the front desk were always very cordial and inquiring if they could provide any assistance. I did not eat at the hotel so cannot speak to the quality of the breakfast nor the evening meals. Location seemed convenient but seemed you could get landlocked at the hotel during morning and evening commutes.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Brian E, General Manager at Courtyard Austin - University Area, responded to this review, March 25, 2014
Thank you for your review, we are happy to announce that a renovation to the new "Bistro" style Courtyard product is coming very soon. We anticipate beginning in mid-July and are very excited about this most important update.
Best Wishes,
Brian Eaton

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
Houston, TX
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2014

Made reservations for 1 adult + 3 teens, Kg with sofa bed paid extra for breakfast. Received a tiny room with King bed & small upholstered chair, no sofa bed for the 2 teens! Called desk told them that we were supposed to have a sofa bed -"yes, sending that up now". A. Why wouldn't they tell me that at check-in? B.NO SOFA BED ARRIVED C. 1/2 hr later I went to the front desk while kids showered in filthy shower with construction debris all over D. Front desk manager said the room didn't come with sofa bed even though it was shown in a pic. E. Showed my receipt and asked if we weren't supposed to get voucher for breakfast too that they said was served until 11. F. Didn't apologize & seemed miffed that they were going to have to honor that! G. 1 hr after check in finally got TWIN roll-away bed - NO SOFA BED. H. Tiniest bathroom I've ever seen for 4 women to share! I. 3 towels in a room reserved for 4 people. Towels VERY thin! J. Maids banging VERY loudly on every door at 8 AM on Saturday. K. Arrived for breakfast @ 10:10 & told breakfast over at 10, filthy-food all over floor, serving line atrocious. L. Told them front desk told us served ‘til 11 AM and that key holder had breakfast time printed on it too indicating it ended at 11 AM. M. Waffle maker had sign "out of order.

They finally cooked eggs for us and brought a small bowl of cantaloupe. At least someone from kitchen explained new management company took over day before with entirely new staff that was ALL RUDE except kitchen. On-site managers don’t like when you book through a 3rd party. Something needs to be done to hold these hotels to their agreements.

Room Tip: Call the specific hotel to double check what exactly the room consists of before booking on-line
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
Please accept my apology for the delay in responding. The Courtyard went througha property sale and management change in late February that was very contentious and caused significant issues in servicing our guests properly.
Due to our property configuration, we have King rooms without sofa beds and King Suites with sofa beds, this must be the confusion within the reservation. We certainly should have handled your bedding situation better, as well as all your servicing issues.
We would love to make this up to you on a return stay, I am 100% confident in regaining your trust, as we are working daily to improve our service.
Thank you for bringing your concerns to our attention and please accept our sincere aology for failing you and your family.
Brian Eaton
San Francisco, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2014

Staying here was just that, fine. It was- what it was. I was there with my husband while he was on business and his company put him there. The room and the hotel was okay. It was old looking in the room, like wallpaper kind of peeling off the wall and a fridge that looked like it was from the 80's. Its just that compared to the other Courtyards- this was dated and it didn't have a kitchenette like most of them. That's the whole point of the courtyards- because you're on extended business. The rooms were small, the bathroom and vanity were small too.

Anyway, that's not something that is really that bad cause your not going to be in your room, right? Well, this location isn't the best if you don't have your own transportation. If you have a car then you are a zippy 10 minute drive to downtown- but if you need to take a cab you have to have to call one and then you spend 20 bucks each way. So back and forth, every day, multiple times a day it adds up so I would just rent a car. This place is right off the freeway too, but we didn't face that way and it was quiet. This location is really just a place to stay if your passing through. There's not much that's around there. There's a cool boat restaurant in front of it and a Mexican restaurant a bit down the road. There's a Target across the highway but, you need to drive.

On the other hand- the staff was so friendly and helpful. They did the best they could. They called the cabs for us the whole time and gave us lots of recommendations. We also received free breakfast coupons.

But... Austin was wonderful and amazing! I would stay closer to downtown next time though.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
CourtyardAusUni, General Manager at Courtyard Austin - University Area, responded to this review, February 12, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at our property.

We are scheduled to have a complete renovation beginning the second quarter of this year. Please accept our sincere apologies for the inconvenience you may have experienced. We take great pride in ensuring our guest’s satisfaction. Unfortunately, we did not meet your—or our own—expectations. Our goal is to address your concerns so that we can ensure you have an exceptional experience on your next visit.

3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2014

This place is ok. The staff was really nice. The room was fair at 98 bucks a night, not a bad deal. We did not get breakfast for ten dollars as it seemed standard. My main complaint is that it is on a one- way street by the interstate. Maybe I am logistically challenged, but returning back from the south or west was difficult. I should have asked them; maybe there is a secret. Otherwise, getting around was not too complicated.

Stayed January 2014
CourtyardAusUni, General Manager at Courtyard Austin - University Area, responded to this review, January 27, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to repond on TripAdvisor. I am sorry you had an trouble with our location. Although it can sometimes be difficult to get to us, our staff will do everything possible to ensure that you have an enjoyable stay in Austin.
Austin
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2014

Need better water presser n hot water was a problem I had to change room twice . The location is good service is friendly. Clean room bed ok and no I will not book a room n that location again I was disappointed with them

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends

Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

CourtyardAusUni, General Manager at Courtyard Austin - University Area, responded to this review, January 22, 2014
Henry,

Thank you for taking the time to review our property. I am sorry about the water pressure, we had a pump that went out on a Friday afternoon and we were unable to get the needed part until late Wednesday. Thank you for the comments about our staff we are very proud of our team. I hope we will get a second opportunity to win your trust.
Houston, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2014

First, the staff was wonderful. The breakfast buffet was simple, but reasonably priced at $9. Everything was spotlessly clean, beds were great. First surprise was that the room is a little cramped feeling in width. Length is fine. The bathroom is super small with just a shower and not a very elegant one at that...it seemed oddly out of place in a Marriott.. and there was an incongruence between the nice bed and linens, towels, curtains, and furniture, and the old style walls, A/C, tile, and inexpensive fixtures. A good effort, but a bit strange and a little disappointing.Took a long time to get hot water but it was fine once it came on. Biggest complaint was that walls were very thin, both to the outside and to the interior... If you get a great discount say on Priceline, it's fine, but not full rate. It was nice there was always coffee and water available in the lobby, a snack purchasing area, and they will be adding more things to the lobby in the future. No complaints there. Everything Marriott could have improved was improved and very acceptable, but the things that couldn't be changed (outdated structure of the building and room/bath layout) are a bit of a drawback. The staff was super however, and it was a convenient location. Because I got the room at a discount, I rated value as Average. The rooms were very comfortable and made good use of the odd space, including a desk and a lounge chair which were handy, so despite sound problems, also rated as average.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
CourtyardAusUni, General Manager at Courtyard Austin - University Area, responded to this review, January 28, 2014
jph2010, We appreciate your feedback. I realize how disturbing it might be due to thin walls. I am very proud that you mentioned our staff. We try to focus on the things within our control and master them. Thank you again for taking the time to share your comments. I sincerely hope you will allow us the opportunity to serve you again when your travels bring you to Austin.
New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2014

I am a gold marriott member and have stayed in many Courtyard locations, and this is probably one of my least favorites I've ever stayed in.
Location is decent if you're here on business - right off the highway but nothing within walking distance.
Free parking is a plus, and the staff is nice, and that's about the only good things I can say about this Courtyard. Internet was spotty and frustrating for someone trying to do business here on a laptop.

I could not get ANY hot water to save my life - not in the sink or in the shower, even after running the water for 5-10 minutes it was still cold. The decor is old and worn. The bathroom is incredibly small. The work out room is more of a "loft" area with 2 treadmills, a half broken elliptical, and some free weights.

Breakfast is NOT free, not even to "gold" Marriott members. $10 per person for some eggs, cold cereal, muffins, a waffle machine, and some fruit.
I've stayed at the Fairfield directly across the parking lot numerous times and will continue to stay there instead - it's much nicer (and has free breakfast) than the Courtyard.
I felt safe here and the hotel is decent, but I think I'd choose to stay elsewhere in Austin next time.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
theblondegirl, Thank you for taking the time to write your concerns from your recent stay at our property. The city of Austin had to turn the water off at our property to complete some repairs. When the water came back on some debris flowed into our mixing pump and locked up the motor. It took our vendor several days to locate the needed parts for repairs. None the less, I feel that hot water is a basic hotel service which our guest should certainly be able to take for granted. It is important to me that we attempt to regain your confidence in our ability to provide a guest experience which is more typical of our hotel. I hope that you will allow us the opportunity to show you our true level of service that you deserve as a Gold member. Please contact me at the hotel at your convenience.

Been to Courtyard Austin - University Area? Share your experiences!