“Good stay decent location, but needs updating.” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Free Parking
Ranked #117 of 187 Hotels in Austin
Houston
“Good stay decent location, but needs updating.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2013

1st the location it is about 2 mile front the capital, and UT. Closer to 290 than 6th street. So you will be driving everywhere. The Room were clean, but need a little refreshing. The bed was comfortable, but the frame was loose so it squeaked when getting in and out. Which can be a problem if you are an early riser and the rest of your family is not. Breakfast is not free and will cost about 12 dollars, but coffee is complementary.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
CourtyardAusUni, Manager at Courtyard Austin - University Area, responded to this review, August 29, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to leave feedback about your stay! Thank you for your feedback, it definitely helps us continually improve. While we have not been given a date, a renovation should be in the future and will take care of several of the items that you pointed out. Being that we are a Courtyard, we are one of the select service hotels that does charge for breakfast because it is all made fresh daily and placed out as opposed to other cooking methods. Hopefully none of these items prevent you from staying with us the next time your travels bring you to Austin and if you need anything before then, please do not hesitate to reach out to the hotel and we would be more than happy to assist you!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2013

My boyfriend and I stayed here for 2 nights. It was in a great location. Just off the highway and accessible to a lot of places. Downtown Austin was a short drive and there was a great steak house across the street! The only thing I would say is that the hot buffet breakfast in the morning was not worth the $10. It didn't taste good. For the price of the room - the breakfast should have been included. Otherwise - the hotel was great!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time out of your busy schedule to leave feedback about your stay! It is very important for our development as well as other potential guests to see how you enjoyed yourself! As you pointed out, we are easily accessible to many of Austin's great destinations as we are centrally located to many of the thoroughfares. I am sorry that you did not enjoy breakfast and please know this is an area that we are constantly working on. Hopefully this does not prevent you from staying with us the next time your travels bring you to Austin and if you need anything before then, please do not hesitate to reach out to the hotel and we will be more than happy to assist you!
Dallas, Texas, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2013 via mobile

I had the pleasure of spending parts of 5 months in the Courtyard Austin University Area location. While 5 months anywhere is a long time, the staff at this location made it a great experience. The rooms were always spotless, the employees knew my name and the service was always excellent. The hotel is a short drive to downtown and the price is right.

• Stayed May 2013
CourtyardAusUni, Manager at Courtyard Austin - University Area, responded to this review, July 24, 2013
Dear Pete,

I could not agree with you more that 5 months away from home is a long time for anybody! I am very glad however that we had the opportunity to serve you while you stayed with us. Thank you for taking the time to let others know about the excellent customer service that you received while staying with us as well as taking the time out of your busy day to leave feedback! If you need anything further, please do not hesitate at all to contact the property and any of us would be more than happy to assist you!
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2013 via mobile

If you leave anything in the room, don't expect to get it back. We left our phone charger at checkout. Within 2 hours, my husband called backed to retrieve it. Of course housekeeping said they didn't find anything. The customer service was good. However, because of this incident, we won't be returning or recommending this hotel.

Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Dear Guest,

I am very sorry that your items were not found in the room. We definitely take these kind of accusations very seriously as guest safety and guest property are a high priority for us. I invite you to contact the hotel and ask to speak to the Assistant General Manager because I would love to speak to you further about this.
Tampa, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

My wife and I stayed there for one night for our Fourth of July weekend in Austin. Location is great, especially if you are visiting UT. As usual with Marriott, the front desk people are great. Had a room for us at 1:00 in the afternoon, no problem. Lobby was pretty tired, but I understand it is going to undergo a makeover soon, as with many of the Marriott properties.

There are no good views here. It's the freeway or the freeway. Room was decent, albeit a bit old. The toilet/shower room is so small I about had to step in to the tub to close the door. The air cycled on and off quite a bit. Worst part was the console the television sat on is so low you can't lay in bed and watch tv over your feet. And I never can understand why hotels have such small televisions when they are so cheap today.

When you make your reservation look for the $10 breakfast option. it cuts the tab in about half. But breakfast was disappointing. We got to the buffet about 9:00. No eggs. no sausage., No bacon. And the restaurant wasn't crowded. When they did bring the scrambled eggs they were soupy, so we ordered an omelet off the menu and ate fruit off the buffet. Great omelet, probably 3-4 eggs.

Still, what makes the property is the front desk people. Always pleasant and helpful. I would stay again.

Room Tip: There isn't much difference. View the interstate north or view the interstate south.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to leave feedback about your recent stay with us. As you saw, we are definitely set for a renovation soon and we are very excited for that to take place. I am very glad that our staff was up to your standards and they were able to get your early check in accommodated! I am going to look into the breakfast issue that you had as that is not how things should have operated. Furthermore, I would love the opportunity to make the breakfast situation right for you and your wife and regain your trust in that aspect. The next time you are in Austin and stay with us, please make the front desk aware of the issue you previously had and we will gladly take care of the breakfast charges for you. If you need anything until then, please do not hesitate to reach out to the front desk and we would be more than happy to assist you.
Caldwell, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2013

We stayed a recent Sunday evening for an event at UT the following morning. Overall we were very satisfied. While not a new property, everything was in good condition and not run down. Our double-queen bed room was comfortable, the beds were ok, the bathroom area was small with a small vanity area and a small separate room with commode and shower. Everything served our purposes fine, however if multiple people had to make a lot of preparations (makeup, hair, etc) to go somewhere, it would be a bit crowded. Even though we were directly across from the elevators, we didn't hear any noise from neighbors, people in the hallway, or from the elevators.

We at at the restaurant on site for breakfast. They had a very complete breakfast buffet with an oatmeal bar and eggs cooked to order for only $9.95. While not a "free breakfast", this was an excellent value compared to going to some other restaurant. The food was good, the service was great.

This place is an excellent value, less than several nearby competitors, much less than the downtown hotels. Our drivetime to UT in morning rush hour traffic was only about 15 minutes. With no hidden costs like parking (free here) this was not only a great hotel choice but very cost effective for us.

What really made the difference here and gets my full endorsement is the outstanding staff. You can't pass the front desk without a friendly greeting. Every interaction with every staff member was friendly, effective, and professional. The management here clearly "gets it" regarding customer service and it is reflected in everything about the place. I am confident that had I had any kind of issue or concern they would have cheerfully and effectivly addressed it. We'll see if they do as well the next time I stay but for now the Courtyard Austin-University is my new go-to when in Austin and I will recommend it uniquivocally to my many colleagues that travel to Austin frequently.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Dear Guest,

I am very glad that you enjoyed your time with us and we most definitely look forward to serving you the next time your travels bring you to the Austin area! Please contact the hotel if you need anything further and any of us would be delighted to assist you!
Houston, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2013

I booked this room over a race weekend and at last minute. The lobby and halls were clean and well maintained. And, considering some of the other reviews, the room was modern, neat, and comfortable.

Now, the downside. About 10:30, we realized the AC in the room was not working. The woman at the front desk was polite and offered us another room or to send someone up to look at the AC. We'd already unpacked and were in bed, so we opted for the room visit.

The guy who came up was very polite and courteous but spoke little English. He tinkered with the AC and pronounced it fixed. By 12:00 we knew it wasn't but I was exhausted and unwilling to move to another room. This is more on me than the staff.

I would stay here again but with every other hotel I stay at, I'm checking the AC through the door and squawking at the first hiccup.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Dear Guest,

I am very sorry that your experienced an issue with the AC while you were staying with us. We are going through and conducting quarterly service on our AC units as the summer season is in full swing and we are trying to prevent issues like this from coming up. I am glad to see however that you noticed the clean environment and the friendly service. Please do not let this tarnish your view of us and know that we are diligently working to consistently ensure that everything is in working order 100% of the time! Please contact the hotel if you need anything further!

Been to Courtyard Austin - University Area? Share your experiences!