“It was like home away from home” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Free Parking
Ranked #103 of 182 hotels in Austin
Dallas, Texas, United States
“It was like home away from home”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2013 via mobile

I had the pleasure of spending parts of 5 months in the Courtyard Austin University Area location. While 5 months anywhere is a long time, the staff at this location made it a great experience. The rooms were always spotless, the employees knew my name and the service was always excellent. The hotel is a short drive to downtown and the price is right.

• Stayed May 2013
CourtyardAusUni, Manager at Courtyard Austin - University Area, responded to this review, July 24, 2013
Dear Pete,

I could not agree with you more that 5 months away from home is a long time for anybody! I am very glad however that we had the opportunity to serve you while you stayed with us. Thank you for taking the time to let others know about the excellent customer service that you received while staying with us as well as taking the time out of your busy day to leave feedback! If you need anything further, please do not hesitate at all to contact the property and any of us would be more than happy to assist you!

170 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2013 via mobile

If you leave anything in the room, don't expect to get it back. We left our phone charger at checkout. Within 2 hours, my husband called backed to retrieve it. Of course housekeeping said they didn't find anything. The customer service was good. However, because of this incident, we won't be returning or recommending this hotel.

Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Dear Guest,

I am very sorry that your items were not found in the room. We definitely take these kind of accusations very seriously as guest safety and guest property are a high priority for us. I invite you to contact the hotel and ask to speak to the Assistant General Manager because I would love to speak to you further about this.
Nolanville, tx
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

My wife and I stayed there for one night for our Fourth of July weekend in Austin. Location is great, especially if you are visiting UT. As usual with Marriott, the front desk people are great. Had a room for us at 1:00 in the afternoon, no problem. Lobby was pretty tired, but I understand it is going to undergo a makeover soon, as with many of the Marriott properties.

There are no good views here. It's the freeway or the freeway. Room was decent, albeit a bit old. The toilet/shower room is so small I about had to step in to the tub to close the door. The air cycled on and off quite a bit. Worst part was the console the television sat on is so low you can't lay in bed and watch tv over your feet. And I never can understand why hotels have such small televisions when they are so cheap today.

When you make your reservation look for the $10 breakfast option. it cuts the tab in about half. But breakfast was disappointing. We got to the buffet about 9:00. No eggs. no sausage., No bacon. And the restaurant wasn't crowded. When they did bring the scrambled eggs they were soupy, so we ordered an omelet off the menu and ate fruit off the buffet. Great omelet, probably 3-4 eggs.

Still, what makes the property is the front desk people. Always pleasant and helpful. I would stay again.

Room Tip: There isn't much difference. View the interstate north or view the interstate south.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to leave feedback about your recent stay with us. As you saw, we are definitely set for a renovation soon and we are very excited for that to take place. I am very glad that our staff was up to your standards and they were able to get your early check in accommodated! I am going to look into the breakfast issue that you had as that is not how things should have operated. Furthermore, I would love the opportunity to make the breakfast situation right for you and your wife and regain your trust in that aspect. The next time you are in Austin and stay with us, please make the front desk aware of the issue you previously had and we will gladly take care of the breakfast charges for you. If you need anything until then, please do not hesitate to reach out to the front desk and we would be more than happy to assist you.
Caldwell, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2013

We stayed a recent Sunday evening for an event at UT the following morning. Overall we were very satisfied. While not a new property, everything was in good condition and not run down. Our double-queen bed room was comfortable, the beds were ok, the bathroom area was small with a small vanity area and a small separate room with commode and shower. Everything served our purposes fine, however if multiple people had to make a lot of preparations (makeup, hair, etc) to go somewhere, it would be a bit crowded. Even though we were directly across from the elevators, we didn't hear any noise from neighbors, people in the hallway, or from the elevators.

We at at the restaurant on site for breakfast. They had a very complete breakfast buffet with an oatmeal bar and eggs cooked to order for only $9.95. While not a "free breakfast", this was an excellent value compared to going to some other restaurant. The food was good, the service was great.

This place is an excellent value, less than several nearby competitors, much less than the downtown hotels. Our drivetime to UT in morning rush hour traffic was only about 15 minutes. With no hidden costs like parking (free here) this was not only a great hotel choice but very cost effective for us.

What really made the difference here and gets my full endorsement is the outstanding staff. You can't pass the front desk without a friendly greeting. Every interaction with every staff member was friendly, effective, and professional. The management here clearly "gets it" regarding customer service and it is reflected in everything about the place. I am confident that had I had any kind of issue or concern they would have cheerfully and effectivly addressed it. We'll see if they do as well the next time I stay but for now the Courtyard Austin-University is my new go-to when in Austin and I will recommend it uniquivocally to my many colleagues that travel to Austin frequently.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Dear Guest,

I am very glad that you enjoyed your time with us and we most definitely look forward to serving you the next time your travels bring you to the Austin area! Please contact the hotel if you need anything further and any of us would be delighted to assist you!
Houston, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2013

I booked this room over a race weekend and at last minute. The lobby and halls were clean and well maintained. And, considering some of the other reviews, the room was modern, neat, and comfortable.

Now, the downside. About 10:30, we realized the AC in the room was not working. The woman at the front desk was polite and offered us another room or to send someone up to look at the AC. We'd already unpacked and were in bed, so we opted for the room visit.

The guy who came up was very polite and courteous but spoke little English. He tinkered with the AC and pronounced it fixed. By 12:00 we knew it wasn't but I was exhausted and unwilling to move to another room. This is more on me than the staff.

I would stay here again but with every other hotel I stay at, I'm checking the AC through the door and squawking at the first hiccup.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Dear Guest,

I am very sorry that your experienced an issue with the AC while you were staying with us. We are going through and conducting quarterly service on our AC units as the summer season is in full swing and we are trying to prevent issues like this from coming up. I am glad to see however that you noticed the clean environment and the friendly service. Please do not let this tarnish your view of us and know that we are diligently working to consistently ensure that everything is in working order 100% of the time! Please contact the hotel if you need anything further!
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2013

This Marriott has the best customer service that I've been to. I travel weekly and I've never been to a hotel that makes you feel more comfortable than this one. The front desk staff was so attentive to all the guests and they were always so pleasant. I will definitely stay at this hotel again.

Room Tip: Rooms on the south side have a view of downtown Austin.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
CourtyardAusUni, Manager at Courtyard Austin - University Area, responded to this review, July 2, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for leaving such kind comments. We strive to ensure that every guest is completely satisfied and it seems as though we met those expectations with you. Thank you for your kind words and I will definitely be sharing them with the rest of the team! We look forward to having you back the next time your travels bring you to Austin!
richmond virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2013 via mobile

Being a gold Marriott member I am used to nice amenities like free breakfast. It didn't seem to be important to them at all that I was a gold member. Asked three times and finally one nice desk clerk have is a free breakfast. Tiny bathtub area.

• Stayed June 2013
Dear Guest,

I am very sorry that you did not feel that we appreciated your Marriot Gold status as that is definitely not the case. Unfortunately, Courtyard is the one brand (aside from full service hotels) that does not offer complimentary breakfast in the morning. We definitely understand however that breakfast is important to travelers so we do have it available for a small fee every morning. Should you need anything further, please do not hesitate to reach out to the property and we would be more than happy to assist you.

Been to Courtyard Austin - University Area? Share your experiences!