“Best Value in SoCo” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #71 of 185 Hotels in Austin
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
“Best Value in SoCo”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013

South Congress is a great part of Austin but finding a place to stay that is less than $200/night and in walking distance of the fun is a little difficult. This motel is legendary and every time I come to Austin, I try to stay here but it's always booked. I got lucky on this last trip! I stayed in the 2 story section and had a room on the top floor. The only complaint is that the walls are paper thin so people having a normal conversation in the rooms on either side of me could easily be heard...my floor boards were squeaking so pretty sure that was annoying to the person below me when I was walking around early in the AM. But honestly, it is a great price - just bring ear plugs and you'll be golden. My guess is that the one story section of rooms might be a little more quiet. The room was very clean, the people manning the front desk were fun and helpful and the wifi signal is so strong that you can even use it at Joe's Coffee Shop. Definitely will be back if I can manage a rez for the next trip to SoCo.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
Draper, Utah
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013

My fiancé and I traveled to Austin for a long weekend. Came here to visit friends. We could have spent the entire time just taking walking trips from the Austin Motel. It has it all, food, entertainment, interesting shops, beer, etc. It is also located a five minute drive from downtown or a five minute jog to some great trail running.

The Austin Motel is not a 5-star hotel. What it is, is clean, unique, a great location, fun, and memorable. We will stay there again the next time we visit. It's definitely a 5-star experience!

• Stayed February 2013
Austin, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013

My husband and I decided to stay on South Congress for the weekend even though we live in Austin. Loved it. Very quiet at night...no partying is posted on the door and they mean it. Another great thing. My husband has Athsma and the rooms are divided between prt and non pet rooms. Ours was non pet and had hardwood floors so he had no problem.

Room Tip: You can look at each individual room online
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Memphis, Tennessee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

Stayed for a week here and loved it! Several friends had other rooms in the motel with various cool themes. Nice pool area. Incredible location near Continental Club and other cool bars and restaurants on Second St.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
prettybird1
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2013

It's not the Ritz...nor do you want it to be. Themed rooms reminiscent of the 60's. Clean sheets, great towels...tiny showers, and a loveable cat in the lobby sets the tone.

Prices are EXTREMELY reasonable and the location is in the middle of all the SoCo action.

It just does not get any better than this for value, staff, and location.

Room Tip: There is a "no party" policy for anthing after 10:00 p.m. All rooms are quiet and lovely.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

My friend booked this stay for a girls weekend before Christmas. Based on the pictures on the web I was skeptical. However, upon checking in I was enamored by the charm and kitsch of the place. The room was clean. The bathroom was functional but nothing more. The rooms had small refrigerators which were useful for storing wine and snacks. We stayed on the upper level overlooking the pool (I believe we had rooms 139 and 141). I absolutely loved the patio space right in front of our rooms (public), which was where we spent the majority of our time while at the motel. Everything we wanted to see and do in the South Congress area was within walking distance. Great value for the $$ as the San Jose Motel a block away was $100+ more per night.

Room Tip: Ask for one of the 3 rooms that overlook the pool. They include a covered parking spot in the back.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Hamilton, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 24, 2012

Our room was clean and very comfortable. Not a fancy place, but a good place to rest and wash up. Stayed on upper floor in back - away from traffic was nice. The two front desk people we came into contact with were rude. Not a smile, not a please, not a thank you-just smart alec putdowns. Did not like the fact we had to leave a $100 deposit on our room since we were paying cash. They acted like they were afraid these two 55 year old grandmothers were going to party down and tear up their room. Hopefully their attitude will improve because I would like to stay here again (and try out the pool). Great location and price!

Room Tip: Away from Congress street.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Austin Motel? Share your experiences!