“Austin flashback” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #80 of 183 hotels in Austin
prettybird1
“Austin flashback”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2013

It's not the Ritz...nor do you want it to be. Themed rooms reminiscent of the 60's. Clean sheets, great towels...tiny showers, and a loveable cat in the lobby sets the tone.

Prices are EXTREMELY reasonable and the location is in the middle of all the SoCo action.

It just does not get any better than this for value, staff, and location.

Room Tip: There is a "no party" policy for anthing after 10:00 p.m. All rooms are quiet and lovely.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo

215 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

My friend booked this stay for a girls weekend before Christmas. Based on the pictures on the web I was skeptical. However, upon checking in I was enamored by the charm and kitsch of the place. The room was clean. The bathroom was functional but nothing more. The rooms had small refrigerators which were useful for storing wine and snacks. We stayed on the upper level overlooking the pool (I believe we had rooms 139 and 141). I absolutely loved the patio space right in front of our rooms (public), which was where we spent the majority of our time while at the motel. Everything we wanted to see and do in the South Congress area was within walking distance. Great value for the $$ as the San Jose Motel a block away was $100+ more per night.

Room Tip: Ask for one of the 3 rooms that overlook the pool. They include a covered parking spot in the back.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Hamilton, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 24, 2012

Our room was clean and very comfortable. Not a fancy place, but a good place to rest and wash up. Stayed on upper floor in back - away from traffic was nice. The two front desk people we came into contact with were rude. Not a smile, not a please, not a thank you-just smart alec putdowns. Did not like the fact we had to leave a $100 deposit on our room since we were paying cash. They acted like they were afraid these two 55 year old grandmothers were going to party down and tear up their room. Hopefully their attitude will improve because I would like to stay here again (and try out the pool). Great location and price!

Room Tip: Away from Congress street.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
New York City, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2012

Staff was pretty ignorant. I did not have a car. Turns out public transportation is terrific in Austin.
Flipping M and L1 bus goes up and down Congress St VERY often, passed the window of the lobby of hotel. Yet, when I asked, there was little transportation advice offered.
I had a heavy suitcase. I was told to go up two separate skinny flights of stairs to get to my room. Oh, they said, I suppose you could walk to the corner and haul yourself up the slope.
Now - my room -
No clock, no radio, not nice. Everything is done up in black - black couch, chair, bedspread.
This was 50's motel land in comfort mixed with an attempt to achieve NYC chic.
The bathroom was out of the 50's.
Lobby staff acting like a high school clique with each other but off putting to anyone on the other side of their counter.
Did not care for the vibes.
One week night, round midnight, while I was sound asleep I was awakened by a phone call for the room next door to me.
I would have preferred the Hotel San Jose next door. Looks a whole lot mellower and classier.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Aberdeen, South Dakota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2012

The title says it all. Great staff,clean rooms and the best price in town. I guess trip wants more words,how about theis is is the place to stay if your on a budget and want the best location for live music and food. Stay here if you want that. Byeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

Room Tip: Rooms on the upper level have some good views of Congress Street. my fav is 123.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Chicago, IL
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2012

So freaking cute. Cute little pool, clean rooms (it's a MOTEL, people, this is not the Four Seasons) with A/C that really kicks, the nicest front desk folks, and most importantly, right on the BEST, HIPPEST shopping & dining area in Austin called South Congress. Did I mention it's mad affordable?

You can go online to pick your "theme" room. I stayed in the safari room and it was really fun. The room was exactly as pictured.

There are a few random cats that roam the property so don't be concerned if they are lounging around.

Room Tip: Loved the safari room, but any theme would be fun - browse them all on the website.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
Tampa, Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2012

We started staying here in 1997. Twice a year. We always sent full payment for our upcoming stay. After the owner Dot passed away this nice little friendly motel started its rapid decline. One example, After having sent full pmnt. for our 2 week stay 3 months earlier. Two nights before our check-out date we were moved to another room because a wedding party wanted that room we were in. Well this was the room we always stayed in because it was the ONE we wanted. We were not given a choice either. After Dot passed the Asst. Mgr. Michelle became Attila the Hun. She always appears irratated and the LAST time we stayed there I bought a real nice appropriate little heart with wings and gave it to the clerk so she could okay with Michele.Well she gave it back and said very rudely it wasnt going in any room. So from now on we stay at Homestead Suites right behind on 1st. St for half the price. A full kitchen and its a lot like home. MICHELE CHANGED OUR MINDS NOW INSTEAD OF PAYING 1200 weekly for just a room we pay 480.00 and get an entire kitchen. DO THE MATH.

Room Tip: .Do not choose a room in the back. You will think you are sleeping in motor room. You will awaken ea...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Austin Motel? Share your experiences!