“Lives up to Austin - Keep it weird” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Austin Motel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Austin
Austin Motel
You added Austin Motel to your Saves list
1220 S. Congress St., Austin, TX 78704   |
Ranked #69 of 190 Hotels in Austin
New York City, New York
“Lives up to Austin - Keep it weird”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2012

Staff was pretty ignorant. I did not have a car. Turns out public transportation is terrific in Austin.
Flipping M and L1 bus goes up and down Congress St VERY often, passed the window of the lobby of hotel. Yet, when I asked, there was little transportation advice offered.
I had a heavy suitcase. I was told to go up two separate skinny flights of stairs to get to my room. Oh, they said, I suppose you could walk to the corner and haul yourself up the slope.
Now - my room -
No clock, no radio, not nice. Everything is done up in black - black couch, chair, bedspread.
This was 50's motel land in comfort mixed with an attempt to achieve NYC chic.
The bathroom was out of the 50's.
Lobby staff acting like a high school clique with each other but off putting to anyone on the other side of their counter.
Did not care for the vibes.
One week night, round midnight, while I was sound asleep I was awakened by a phone call for the room next door to me.
I would have preferred the Hotel San Jose next door. Looks a whole lot mellower and classier.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (57)
Aberdeen, South Dakota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2012

The title says it all. Great staff,clean rooms and the best price in town. I guess trip wants more words,how about theis is is the place to stay if your on a budget and want the best location for live music and food. Stay here if you want that. Byeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

Room Tip: Rooms on the upper level have some good views of Congress Street. my fav is 123.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Chicago, IL
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2012

So freaking cute. Cute little pool, clean rooms (it's a MOTEL, people, this is not the Four Seasons) with A/C that really kicks, the nicest front desk folks, and most importantly, right on the BEST, HIPPEST shopping & dining area in Austin called South Congress. Did I mention it's mad affordable?

You can go online to pick your "theme" room. I stayed in the safari room and it was really fun. The room was exactly as pictured.

There are a few random cats that roam the property so don't be concerned if they are lounging around.

Room Tip: Loved the safari room, but any theme would be fun - browse them all on the website.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
Tampa, Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2012

We started staying here in 1997. Twice a year. We always sent full payment for our upcoming stay. After the owner Dot passed away this nice little friendly motel started its rapid decline. One example, After having sent full pmnt. for our 2 week stay 3 months earlier. Two nights before our check-out date we were moved to another room because a wedding party wanted that room we were in. Well this was the room we always stayed in because it was the ONE we wanted. We were not given a choice either. After Dot passed the Asst. Mgr. Michelle became Attila the Hun. She always appears irratated and the LAST time we stayed there I bought a real nice appropriate little heart with wings and gave it to the clerk so she could okay with Michele.Well she gave it back and said very rudely it wasnt going in any room. So from now on we stay at Homestead Suites right behind on 1st. St for half the price. A full kitchen and its a lot like home. MICHELE CHANGED OUR MINDS NOW INSTEAD OF PAYING 1200 weekly for just a room we pay 480.00 and get an entire kitchen. DO THE MATH.

Room Tip: .Do not choose a room in the back. You will think you are sleeping in motor room. You will awaken ea...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Galway, Ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2012

This classic motel is in an artistic & trendy & lively neighbourhood just south of the downtown/city centre area, and within walking distance, a short bus, cab or car ride of downtown. There is free parking. There is also an airport bus for $1.00 and only 2 blocks walk. No need to pay for the overpriced Super Shuttle! Regular buses are $2.00 for an all day pass, if you're going to museums, etc., but I don't think they run very late.

The staff was incredibly friendly and helpful. The pool is fantastic. All of that said...if you're looking for amenities, this is not the place for you! There are no fridges, coffee makers, hair dryers, workout rooms, or fancy anything. The towels are a basic set. There is coffee & tea in the lobby. This is a clean, safe & basic place to stay with character & alot of history. This is definitely not a corporate hotel. It is privately owned since 1938. There is expanded cable tv. The only downsides are: that there is free wi-fi but I am sorry to say it is spotty & slow. The a/c works very well but is a window unit, thus loud. The room itself was very quiet otherwise.

Overall, a great stay with much lower prices than the Hotel San Jose just a few doors over (that has guests share a bathroom and the grounds are sand not concrete or tile)! And, I was happier staying in this lively neighbourhood rather than downtown for what I needed. Austin Motel is clean, safe, helpful & affordable!

Fair warning: they book up very fast, so look up photos of the rooms/prices online & phone ahead!

Room Tip: Look at the photos online & call ahead. I had an original motel small, sunny room with a decent...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Medellin, Colombia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2012 via mobile

Everything was very good. Room not clean enough to eat off the floor but good enough. The floor in fact sloped but it's not a pool table and it's old.
Staff was super friendly and helpful.
Location is great with bars and restaurants close by.

• Stayed September 2012
Atlanta, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2012

We got what we expected out of this place - it is NOT the place for you if you want a fancy-schmancy corporate hotel...which is fine by us! My wife and I stayed 2 nights here and were very happy with the experience. It is close to great restaurants, bars, and shops, and the staff is friendly. It's definitely a good spot for younger folks and couples who want to be close to the nightlife - but I'd think twice about bringing small kids here since it is definitely more of a kitchy hipster joint. It was great for us though!

My only two complaints: 1) the WiFi was spotty and pretty slow - they should beef up their network a bit; and 2) the queen bed mattress in our room should be replaced...it definitely had a crevasse in the middle that my wife and I kept rolling into. :)

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Austin
Hotel Saint Cecilia
4.0 of 5 stars 896 reviews
The Driskill
#37 of 190 in Austin
4.0 of 5 stars 1,068 reviews

Been to Austin Motel? Share your experiences!