“Location & Friendliness” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Austin Motel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Austin
Austin Motel
1220 S. Congress St., Austin, TX 78704 (South Austin)   |
Ranked #79 of 182 hotels in Austin
Galway, Ireland
“Location & Friendliness”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2012

This classic motel is in an artistic & trendy & lively neighbourhood just south of the downtown/city centre area, and within walking distance, a short bus, cab or car ride of downtown. There is free parking. There is also an airport bus for $1.00 and only 2 blocks walk. No need to pay for the overpriced Super Shuttle! Regular buses are $2.00 for an all day pass, if you're going to museums, etc., but I don't think they run very late.

The staff was incredibly friendly and helpful. The pool is fantastic. All of that said...if you're looking for amenities, this is not the place for you! There are no fridges, coffee makers, hair dryers, workout rooms, or fancy anything. The towels are a basic set. There is coffee & tea in the lobby. This is a clean, safe & basic place to stay with character & alot of history. This is definitely not a corporate hotel. It is privately owned since 1938. There is expanded cable tv. The only downsides are: that there is free wi-fi but I am sorry to say it is spotty & slow. The a/c works very well but is a window unit, thus loud. The room itself was very quiet otherwise.

Overall, a great stay with much lower prices than the Hotel San Jose just a few doors over (that has guests share a bathroom and the grounds are sand not concrete or tile)! And, I was happier staying in this lively neighbourhood rather than downtown for what I needed. Austin Motel is clean, safe, helpful & affordable!

Fair warning: they book up very fast, so look up photos of the rooms/prices online & phone ahead!

Room Tip: Look at the photos online & call ahead. I had an original motel small, sunny room with a decent...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo

205 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
Medellin, Colombia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2012 via mobile

Everything was very good. Room not clean enough to eat off the floor but good enough. The floor in fact sloped but it's not a pool table and it's old.
Staff was super friendly and helpful.
Location is great with bars and restaurants close by.

• Stayed September 2012
Atlanta, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2012

We got what we expected out of this place - it is NOT the place for you if you want a fancy-schmancy corporate hotel...which is fine by us! My wife and I stayed 2 nights here and were very happy with the experience. It is close to great restaurants, bars, and shops, and the staff is friendly. It's definitely a good spot for younger folks and couples who want to be close to the nightlife - but I'd think twice about bringing small kids here since it is definitely more of a kitchy hipster joint. It was great for us though!

My only two complaints: 1) the WiFi was spotty and pretty slow - they should beef up their network a bit; and 2) the queen bed mattress in our room should be replaced...it definitely had a crevasse in the middle that my wife and I kept rolling into. :)

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2012 via mobile

The Austin Motel is a really cool hotel in a great location. Don't expect a luxury experience but if your looking for a fun old school trendy hotel in a great location it doesn't get any better. This hotel is in the heart of trendy SoCo with plenty of restaurants and cool shops within walking distance. We walked to the bridge to see the bats at dusk and walking into downtown isn't that far especially considering we stayed here two nights for LESS than what you would pay for one night downtown. Our seven year old daughter loved the deep water pool, we spent hours there relaxing. We have found our hotel of choice in Austin and are planing a trip back. I would recommend this place to anyone, just make sure you book early it fills up fast!

• Stayed September 2012
Clifton, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

My daughters and I stayed here on August 23rd. What a great little place. The staff are friendly, our room was spotless, and the pool area and landscaping is so nice. Wonderful location too, with so many shops and restaurants within walking distance.

We'll diffinately stay here again and again.

Room Tip: Ask for a pool view room if it's available. Such a quaint little place.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
South Island
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2012

I did enjoy my stay here, the pool was great, bus stop across the road straight into town, and the room was fine. The only complaint I had was that when the air con kicked in it would wake me up! I was there for 4 nights and had to sleep with ear plugs. I had it on the lowest speed etc...
I couldn't hear other peoples air con nor did I hear any racket from the other rooms, but there were definitely people in there. So it's a great quiet place.
I would stay there again too!!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
Dallas, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2012 via mobile

Motel is in a great place
Average price for a spaces room
Good place to stay in Austin at a low prIce. Walking distance to several restaurants and food trucks.
Jo coffe house next door has excellent fresh pastries

• Stayed August 2012

Been to Austin Motel? Share your experiences!