“Meh” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #99 of 184 Hotels in Austin
Floresville, TX
“Meh”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2013

We stayed here one night with our teen daughters to attend a UT event. This hotel is older and in an area that is mostly abandoned buildings. The parking lot is good and well lit. The back door was always locked and we had to use our key to get in, which is a plus. The office looked very messy - boxes and old magazines and papers everywhere. The attendant hides behind a wall and was always one the phone. People had to say something to get their attention. We arrived close to 4 pm, but our room wasn't ready. We accepted a handicap accessible room instead, although my daughters worried we were taking it from someone who might need it. The room was clean. It is a suite, so there is a good kitchen. I noted that kitchen had full-size fridge, coffee maker and coffee, dishwasher with soap, microwave, small cooktop and toaster. It would be great it you needed a kitchen for a longer stay. Our bathroom, however, was not stocked. One towel and no toilet paper on the roll. This gives the impression that the room may not have been cleaned. The bed was made and seemed OK. Overall, it was clean but just kind of weird. The smell in the room wasn't great - could've been the AC unit. Another person complained that their room was smoky. It was a decent place to crash for the night, but I do not think we would go back. No pool and no breakfast. I would suggest taking something to warm up since you have the kitchen in your room.

Room Tip: We stayed on the bottom floor near the back door. It was nice to be able to park right outside and...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
CandlewoodMGR, Guest Relations Manager at Candlewood Suites - Austin South, responded to this review, September 25, 2013
mepenny,

First off, thank you for taking time out to review the hotel and let us know about your stay. Secondly, We honestly want everyone who passes through our doors to have a great stay. And although you said it wasn't bad, we feel like and know that it could and should have been better for you.

We take pride in the cleanliness of our rooms but when we clean them and do not furnace the amenities, I can see how unsettling or weird it could be. I truly am sorry your stay was not awesome and we'd love to make it up to you the next time y'all are in town. Please feel free to contact us directly and we will take care of it for you.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Austin, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2013 via mobile

We were introduced to Candlewood Suites a few years ago when we were required to spend several weeks in Nashville. Rather than spend all that money on restaurant meals, the option of having a full size refrigerator and a range top to cook (with cookery) got our interest. The same situation presented itself when we came to Austin recently to do some recording. We were delighted to find that Candlewood Suites was still living up to it's standards. This property is located at the busy interchange of I-35, US 290, and TX 71, but you barely notice the traffic noise from inside. It's in a good location, just takes a few trips to figure out the best way to get in, out, and around the surrounding area. Great staff, very accommodating and friendly. No pool, but with the outside traffic noise, why bother. Fantastic fitness room with modern equipment and adjoining guest services area- free laundry, honor system store for snacks and ancillary items. Our room was slightly smaller than the one in Nashville, but still very comfortable. The bed was good. (If anything could stand an improvement it is the bed. A little rigid for my bones, but by no means unbearable.) The soft linens more than made up for it, and you have your pick of pillows as well. The room is laid out nicely, nice desk area, terrific wifi, large flat screen. The electric stove was practically brand new, worked great and the non-stick pots and pans they provide were put to good use and cleaned up quickly. Dishwasher, Fridge, and Microwave- all the modern conveniences of home. Fluffy towels, nice deep bath for soaking and plenty of hot water. Nice selection of DVD's to chose from for a nice deviation from standard cable (although this hotel offered 3
free HBO channels).
And don't be dismayed by the work crews which may stay here. They might come in at the end of the day dirty and disheveled, but they are just hard-working blue collar types who were our courteous neighbors. Unlike some other hotels we've experienced, there was nobody hanging out in the parking lot drinking beer.
So, all in all, a a great stay for $61 a night (excluding Austin's exorbitant hotel tax). We will continue to keep the Candlewood Suites on our radar for extended stays and otherwise.

• Stayed August 2013
CandlewoodMGR, Manager at Candlewood Suites - Austin South, responded to this review, September 5, 2013
VinGins,
First off, thank you so much for taking time out of your day to let us and everyone else know how we are doing. Second, thank you for the great review, it means the world to us! If you are every in the Austin area again, please let us know. We'd love to be able to accommodate you again.
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2013

My profession requires me to stay in all levels of hotels, in all areas of the country...This, by far, must be put on my "TOP THREE STAYS OF ALL TIME". Without going into great detail, the staff, specifically Ms. Mandy (late night desk) got me checked with the professionalism of a 5 star (no BS), Dominga (daytime desk) scanned and email sensitive documents of a potential employer that I truly believed helped land a A BRAND NEW JOB, Nikki (Gen. Mgr) went above and beyond to ensure I had everything I needed (I was kinda needy during this stay)...If you are ever in Round Rock (or even nearby Austin), DO YOUR SELF (and your family if they are in tow) book a your room at CANDLEWOOD SUITES I-35 South, it will only facilitate a more pleasant visit...GUARANTEED! :)

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Dallas, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2013

Stayed here for three weeks. The bed was great and the room was spacious enough. They had free laundry machines as well. Staff was very friendly. No pool but I was not looking for one. Not sure what the bad reviews were because all of the others that I was traveling with also enjoyed the stay.

Room Tip: all the rooms were good. No highway noise that I noticed
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
CandlewoodMGR, Manager at Candlewood Suites - Austin South, responded to this review, August 5, 2013
Trafficnz,
Just want to say thank you for the great review and your stay! We always love when a guest takes time out of their lives to let us know how we are doing. Next time you are in the Austin area, please, let us know and we will take care of you!

You're awesome!
Brenham
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2013

This is the second time I stayed at this property in the past year. I can see the maintenance is slowly sliding. Today the a/c didn't work; but was repaired asap. The room had a smoke smell to it also.The third floor is a smoke filled bar room. I will not be staying here again.

Room Tip: Only use as a last resort or on a tight budget.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
CandlewoodMGR, Public Relations Manager at Candlewood Suites - Austin South, responded to this review, June 11, 2013
Ken,

Thank you so much for taking time out of your day to let us know about your stay. We value our guest opinions and want to make everybody feel at home, welcomed and they are staying in a safe,clean space. In saying that, I'm so sorry that your stay did not met your needs or our standards. It can definitely be trying when you are away from home and things like a/c don't work.

Please know that we do have our first and second floors that have no smoking rooms located on them. We would be more than happy to make sure if you come back that you are on one of those floors. Unfortunately we are a hotel that is open 24/7, as you know and problems do arise. But...we do have an amazing engineer team and housekeeping team that will always make sure your room is up to your's and our standards and comfort level.

Again we apologize for the inconvenience with your stay and welcome you back anytime. We'd love a second chance!

Respectfully.
Woodbridge
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2013

We had stayed at this hotel in October 2012 and it was a great place to stay. This year we made the trip to Austin for my son's graduation. I booked my room in early February for a one bedroom suite with a sleep sofa in the living room. We had a 15 hour drive from Montgomery, Alabama and our arrival would be late. I had telephoned the hotel and spoke with the front desk to let them know we would be a late arrival. I had secured the room with my credit card. We arrive at 11:00 pm only to find we had a regular room. They were totally booked. My brother spent Saturday night on the floor. I was given $20 off this night and the next night my brother was given a room for his 4 days at no additional charge. This was nice, however, I booked a suite with a separate bedroom. I did not like when my son and his girlfriend visited everyone had to sit on the bed. I booked a suite so we could have dinner in our room as a family some nights. I was so disappointed that we had to sit on the bed and floor. The manager at this hotel is rude. He informed me they overbook. I didn't like his attitude and tone. I must say there are several employees who work the front desk that have great customer service, nice and helpful. Jessica is just a sweetheart. The room was clean and nice.

When you book a room and secure with a credit card you should get the room you booked, especially when a call was made advising time of arrival. If they were worried about no show.....charge my credit card!

Room Tip: Double check before arrival you are getting the room you booked.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Linda,

First off, thank you for taking time out of your day to let us know about your stay. Second, We need to apologizes for the inconvenience we put on you and your family. We can only imagine how taxing it can be to have all this happen after a long trip.

We also take pride in our customer service and it's always great to hear positives about employees. If you feel that the manager you spoke with was rude or had a "uncaring" tone, we are so sorry. Our guest are our family here and we want every one to feel welcomed and taken care of!

Please come back and see us, you are always welcomed here!
Pearland, Texas, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

I was booked by my company for SXSW and the hotel was at capacity. I spent the first 2 nights in a handicapped room with no bedside tables or counters in bathroom. Floor flooded every time I showered. I was moved, but spent the next 4 days without hot water. We were working 13 hour days and this was not acceptable. I was told I would be compensated with gift cards and a reduction on the bill, but nothing was ever done. Staff was apologetic, but could not solve the problem. I could understand 1 day, but 4 days without hot water was ridiculous. Their solution/comment was, "shower at night."
EMS, Houston, TX

Room Tip: Don't take a handicapped room if you need space to spread out in the bathroom. The only surface...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
austinsouth, Manager at Candlewood Suites - Austin South, responded to this review, April 22, 2013
We want to start off by apologizing to you about the inconvenience this situation has caused. We pride ourselves in our delivering of service to our hotel and we dropped the ball in this situation. We wish that we could have prevented the boiler from leaking causing the hot water issues. It was difficult to get qualified technicians to show with a city wide sell out. We did offer discounts to your employer because of those issues. We would like to make it up to you. We value and are thankful for your feedback. We know that you as a consumer have an option and we are in the business to serve our guests and we hope that you will come and stay in our beautiful and newly renovated suites with flat screens. We are excited to be hosts during the SXSW festival and we would love a second chance to show you how we excel in demonstrating our hospitality. Please contact our GM at Candlewood Suites Austin South @ jesse.ortega@ihg.com. He will take care of you. Thank you.

Been to Candlewood Suites - Austin South? Share your experiences!