“Very Disappointed” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #92 of 187 Hotels in Austin
Woodbridge
“Very Disappointed”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2013

We had stayed at this hotel in October 2012 and it was a great place to stay. This year we made the trip to Austin for my son's graduation. I booked my room in early February for a one bedroom suite with a sleep sofa in the living room. We had a 15 hour drive from Montgomery, Alabama and our arrival would be late. I had telephoned the hotel and spoke with the front desk to let them know we would be a late arrival. I had secured the room with my credit card. We arrive at 11:00 pm only to find we had a regular room. They were totally booked. My brother spent Saturday night on the floor. I was given $20 off this night and the next night my brother was given a room for his 4 days at no additional charge. This was nice, however, I booked a suite with a separate bedroom. I did not like when my son and his girlfriend visited everyone had to sit on the bed. I booked a suite so we could have dinner in our room as a family some nights. I was so disappointed that we had to sit on the bed and floor. The manager at this hotel is rude. He informed me they overbook. I didn't like his attitude and tone. I must say there are several employees who work the front desk that have great customer service, nice and helpful. Jessica is just a sweetheart. The room was clean and nice.

When you book a room and secure with a credit card you should get the room you booked, especially when a call was made advising time of arrival. If they were worried about no show.....charge my credit card!

Room Tip: Double check before arrival you are getting the room you booked.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
CandlewoodMGR, Public Relations Manager at Candlewood Suites - Austin South, responded to this review, June 11, 2013
Linda,

First off, thank you for taking time out of your day to let us know about your stay. Second, We need to apologizes for the inconvenience we put on you and your family. We can only imagine how taxing it can be to have all this happen after a long trip.

We also take pride in our customer service and it's always great to hear positives about employees. If you feel that the manager you spoke with was rude or had a "uncaring" tone, we are so sorry. Our guest are our family here and we want every one to feel welcomed and taken care of!

Please come back and see us, you are always welcomed here!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Pearland, Texas, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

I was booked by my company for SXSW and the hotel was at capacity. I spent the first 2 nights in a handicapped room with no bedside tables or counters in bathroom. Floor flooded every time I showered. I was moved, but spent the next 4 days without hot water. We were working 13 hour days and this was not acceptable. I was told I would be compensated with gift cards and a reduction on the bill, but nothing was ever done. Staff was apologetic, but could not solve the problem. I could understand 1 day, but 4 days without hot water was ridiculous. Their solution/comment was, "shower at night."
EMS, Houston, TX

Room Tip: Don't take a handicapped room if you need space to spread out in the bathroom. The only surface...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
austinsouth, Manager at Candlewood Suites - Austin South, responded to this review, April 22, 2013
We want to start off by apologizing to you about the inconvenience this situation has caused. We pride ourselves in our delivering of service to our hotel and we dropped the ball in this situation. We wish that we could have prevented the boiler from leaking causing the hot water issues. It was difficult to get qualified technicians to show with a city wide sell out. We did offer discounts to your employer because of those issues. We would like to make it up to you. We value and are thankful for your feedback. We know that you as a consumer have an option and we are in the business to serve our guests and we hope that you will come and stay in our beautiful and newly renovated suites with flat screens. We are excited to be hosts during the SXSW festival and we would love a second chance to show you how we excel in demonstrating our hospitality. Please contact our GM at Candlewood Suites Austin South @ jesse.ortega@ihg.com. He will take care of you. Thank you.
Fort Myers
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

We recently stayed at the Candlewood Suites South in Austin, Texas during the Men's Regional NCAA Basketball Tournament. It was clean and comfortable with a nice little kitchen that was supplied with flatware, dishes, pots and pans and all manner of supplies and implements to allow us to make our own meals if we chose to do so. Truthfully, we usually went out to eat but everything was there for us to use if we wanted to do so.

The room was large with a comfortable bed and lots of space for computers and all our luggage and clothing. The bathroom was clean and spacious and, when we had a minor plumbing problem, maintenance fixed it quickly.

The hotel personnel were uniformly helpful and friendly and willing to print us boarding passes for the trip home and to print out directions for anywhere we wanted to go.

Downtown was only minutes away as was the airport. The University of Texas at Austin was close by as was the President Lyndon B. Johnson Library and Museum which we thoroughly enjoyed. The price was definitely right and our stay was very enjoyable. It's not "the Ritz" but it's a great place to stay and we would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
austinsouth, General Manager at Candlewood Suites - Austin South, responded to this review, April 22, 2013
We want to thank you for your comments! We are very excited about the team we have put together. and the hotel has been a big hit since the renovation. This team is very customer focused and we love to hear about their performance. We are glad you enjoyed your stay with us. Thank you again for sharing your comments with us and we hope when you are back in the area you stop by YOUR Candlewood Suites Austin South. - Candlewood Suites Management
Lake Jackson
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2013

Staying here with points from my priority club membership, and Jessica made me feel like royalty! I was greeted with a smile and all the added perks of being a priority club member. I even got to spin the wheel and I received 1000 extra points. Our room was very nice! The bed was comfortable, the bathroom was spacious, and the kitchen had everything we needed. They even had a free bag of popcorn in the microwave for us. Never found the complimentary bottled water that priority club members get, so I just bought some from the pantry. They even have a complimentary DVD library that we can check out while we stay! We visited the food pantry that they have there. Slightly expensive and just the usual snack foods, but if you're really hungry and don't want to leave, it'll do. I would definitely stay here again! Right off the highway but wasn't too noisy...close to alot of what Austin has to offer

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
austinsouth, General Manager at Candlewood Suites - Austin South, responded to this review, April 5, 2013
We want to thank you for your comments! We are very excited about the team we have put together which includes Jessica. This team is very customer focused and we love to hear about their performance. We are glad you enjoyed your stay with us. And we are glad that Jessica was a great help. Thank you again for sharing your comments with us and we hope when you are back in the area you stop by YOUR Candlewood Suites Austin South. - Candlewood Suites Management
Austin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2013

Great customer service, Jessica was AWESOME! Great comfortable room. I would recommend this hotel to anyone visiting Austin. Only negative was our room was facing the back alley, so I couldn't keep an eye on my car. But other then that it was a great place to go for a weekend get away! Kitchen was equip with everything we needed and the "Cupboard" was awesome for late night snacks! Loved it!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

We travelled to Austin for sxsw...For some reason our reservation was not in the system. Thankfully Keena helped us out and searched and with persistance was able to get us a great room!!

Definitly recommend!!
Thank you Keena!!

Room Tip: Rooms more quiet in on the south side
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
austinsouth, Manager at Candlewood Suites - Austin South, responded to this review, April 5, 2013
We want to thank you for your comments! Our newly renovated fully furnished suites with flat screens are beautiful and very spacious. We provide beautiful suites at a great value. We are glad you enjoyed your stay with us. And we are glad that Keena was able to assist in helping locate your reservation. Thank you again for sharing your comments with us and we hope when you are back in the area you stop by YOUR Candlewood Suites Austin South. - Candlewood Suites Management
Scottsdale, Arizona
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

I, like TarjeiH, had booked and paid for a room here for SXSW through Hotels.com - 39 DAYS AGO. I was just informed that my reservation had been cancelled.
Generally during large conferences, you cannot find nearby hotels on Hotels.com because the hotel pulls its rooms, knowing they can sell the rooms themselves for more. Apparently Candlewood did not pull their rooms, sold them through hotels.com, and then canceled the reservations (without notifying me) after almost six weeks, giving only the explanation that they "didn't mean to have them up there."
They took no responsibility for their mistake and the Hotels.com rep who was attempting to help me was left on hold and eventually disconnected TWICE by the manager.
Also, let it be known that the price listed on Hotels.com was raised to reflect the conference - it's not like we had only paid $300 for the week (in which case I would have known it was too good to be true).
I have never encountered such terrible customer service before having actually been served!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
austinsouth, Manager at Candlewood Suites - Austin South, responded to this review, January 29, 2013
We want to start off by apologizing to you about the inconvenience this situation has caused. We pride ourselves in our customer service and we dropped the ball in this situation. We would like to make it up to you. We shared these last two reviews with our Front Desk Staff and used it as a way to improve our customer service. We value and are thankful for your feedback. We know that you as a consumer have an option and we are in the business to serve our guests and we hope that you will come and stay in our beautiful and newly renovated suites with flat screens. We are excited to be hosts during the SXSW festival and we would love a second chance to show you how we excel in demonstrating our hospitality. Please contact our GM at Candlewood Suites Austin South. Thank you.

Been to Candlewood Suites - Austin South? Share your experiences!