“Relaxing Hotel With Small Rooms” 4 of 5 stars

Free Parking
Ranked #106 of 183 hotels in Austin
GreenLeadersGold level
Stittsville, Canada
“Relaxing Hotel With Small Rooms”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2013

One of the centre hotels in the line of 5 along I-35 North, and also the only one that stretches along the highway, instead of perpendicular - as such it has the largest parking lot in front of it.

The lobby to the hotel is more modern than other Courtyard's, and was also very welcoming. The staff greeted us, and gave us our package we'd chosen for the "daily pack", which included a free movie, breakfast for 2, a pizza, and popcorn. Just perfect for a couple's night out! For the pizza, we were given the option of a room service pizza, or two from the front restaurant - the better value, we found.

The room was… small. Enough that it there was very limited space in the front entrance, and to close the door you'd have to move your bags all the way into the room. Another issue - the closet is NOT a standard size. A normal hanging suit bag sticks out the door frame, which was a little annoying - I'd prefer to hand items up, and have them out of site. Due to the size, there was limited luggage storage space as well, so we put our bags on the couch and table.

At the same time, it was livable, and had a balcony… which overlooked highway I-35 and was covered in bird crap. I did use it that night though, when a spectacular storm came through Austin - it was a great viewing platform for the lightning!

For the breakfast, our options were limited - apparently the kitchen closes early on Saturdays, but the lady was nice enough to give us a cold meal option as she was closing up. Entirely our fault for not confirming the proper closing time though - and I appreciate the restaurant staff still giving us some food.

There was a discrepancy on the automated movie system where we were double-billed for our free movie, due to the power cutting out during it - so we ended up "re-purchasing" it. Once again, the staff were very friendly and quickly removed it from the bill.

An enjoyable location!

Room Tip: There are no good views - choose an east facing room if you'd like to avoid the I-35 noise.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Nicola D, General Manager at Courtyard Austin South, responded to this review, December 2, 2013
Thank you Jeff for your comments. We are glad to have a fan of our hotel. The balcony is a great space to relax and enjoy a beverage, relax or watch a storm. Did you know we also offer breakfast items in our market, that can be enjoyed after breakfast hours? This allows you to have even more dining options while at the Courtyard Austin South. We look forward to having you stay with us again.

60 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Houston, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2013 via mobile

Our offices are near by but this place is off the beaten path aka where all the fun is. However it is clean very good room service and my room location was quite. You will have to drive if you want to sample one of the best things Austin offers, great food.

• Stayed September 2013
USnTHEM,
Thank you for sharing your excelent experience with us, it truly is appreciated.
New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for business because I have status with this chain. This is a "typical" Courtyard. I seem to rate them all the same. I am now on a mission to find a nice one. Here are my comments.
1) rooms need upgrading.
2) carpets need upgrading.
3) lobby serves Starbucks coffee and a decent breakfast that you have to pay for.
4) close to airport.

• Stayed September 2013
Bernylloyd,
Thank you writing a review and recognizing our service. We look forward to seeing you on your next visit to Austin.
Flower Mound, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013

I have frequented several of the Marriott properties and this is heads and shoulders above the rest. Diana has always made me feel like I am at home when staying there and continues to do so on every visit. Being a platinum member for over 7 years I have had my share of good and bad experiences with properties. I am proud to say that I have stayed here several times without an issue. Feel confident in your business and/or pleasure travels when booking here.

Room Tip: All rooms are great and a little larger than average.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Roadwarrior 7473.
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. Your opinion and feedback is especially appeciated, as a loyal Marriott reward member and frequent traveler you understand what good custimer service is, and recognizing it in our team is a true compliment.
Lockhart, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2013

We have stayed at this location numerous times and just like the first it is always a pleasure to stay here. From the always welcoming staff at the front desk to the more than courteous assistant manager Jeremy S.
We like just to get away and when we do Courtyard and Marriott South Austin are where we enjoy staying out.

Room Tip: Corner suite is a must when having guest come by.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Krista C, Director of Sales at Courtyard Austin South, responded to this review, May 31, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. We pride ourselves on staff service and always being courteous to our guests! We appreciate you being a repeat guest of our hotel and look forward to serving you more in the future!
Calistoga, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2013

I recently stayed for a week at this hotel. Upon arrival the hotel staff were welcoming and inviting. The rooms have a surprisingly upscale quality and are very comfortable. As a business traveler, the office area in my room was very helpful and spacious for all my work tasks. The quality of breakfast is better than most and it is nice to have several daily newspapers to choose among, for those of you who enjoy a nice daily dose of reality with your morning coffee.

The staff were accommodating and very well versed on local restaurants and fun hang-outs throughout the city. The hotel is located close to downtown, so its easy to get out, 5-10 min cab ride and you're there.  Needless to say, I enjoyed my stay, great accommodations, friendly staff, and excellent location. Its a hidden gem for anyone traveling to the Austin area be it for business, fun, or family vacation.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to write a review about our hotel. We also consider ourselves as the "Hidden Gem" here in Austin! We are very happy to hear that the new "Courtyard Refreshing Business" concept that the entire Courtyard brand is remodeling to has had a positive effect on you as a business traveler!

I will also let our staff know what a great job they are doing! We always stive to keep up to date information as to what is going on in the surrounding area, as Austin always has something new for everyone!

We thank you for staying with us and look forward to accomodating you during any future trips to the Live Music Capital of The World!
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2013

I stayed at this property because of the easy access to I-35 as I needed to travel south of Austin for work each day. I was unaware that there was a full service Marriott next door or I would have selected it for the Concierge Level privileges. This us an older property and the exterior, more than the interior, shows its age. The parking lot is a little unkempt and stripes, curbs, etc could use a coat of paint. The lobby has been upgraded to the new Courtyard standard. The hallways, however, look dated although they were kept clean. The rooms have been updated but, perhaps due to size constraints, are not "standard Courtyard". The room, for example, lacked the separate counter across from the wash basin where the cofee maker, glasses and ice bucket are usually found.

My recent negative comments with Marriott have always focused on housekeeping and this was no exception. I use several sugars in my morning coffee so, rather than open two of the caddy packets provided wasting the contents except for the sugar, I simply bring sugar and stirrers from downstairs and place them in a cup next to the cofeemaker. The following day the sugar, stirrers and cup were gone. I replaced the items and wrote a note, in Spanish, "Por favor no me toquen la azucar!" Problem solved. The next day however housekeeping saw fit to remove two Thera-Bands used for physical therapy that I had left hooked on the front door hinge. Although they represent virtually no monetary value I brought it to the attention of the front desk clerk as I left for dinner. Upon my return I received a call from the Assistant Manager, Mr. Jeremy Sherman, who thought that the minor incident was important enough for him to try to resolve. He put his detective hat on and, by the time I had returned from dinner he had located the bands and delivered them personally to my room. Jeremy, thank you very much for exemplifying the meaning of customer service.

Again, sometimes management makes the difference; I'd stay there again.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to write a review about our hotel. We appreciate your feedback so that we can define our strengths and weaknesses as a hotel and pinpoint what we can do to make everyone's stay better. We are currently in touch with a contractor to update our parking lot and outdoor areas.

We will also instruct our housekeeping team to not take such items out of the rooms, but to rather tidy up the rooms instead. We will also inform Jeremy of what a great job he did and to keep up the great customer service!

Thank you for staying at our hotel and we look forward to seeing you during your next visit to Austin!

Been to Courtyard Austin South? Share your experiences!