“Lift was out of order and wifi too slow” 2 of 5 stars

Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save 15%; Earn 500 Points
Ranked #103 of 185 Hotels in Austin
“Lift was out of order and wifi too slow”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2013 via mobile

I made this choice during my stay in Austin for SXSW interactive Festival. The Lift was out of order while few days. Wifi was too slow at my stair. Otherwise price and quality was not bad. Good location between airport and city. A little bit too far away from the city to go every day to Austin.

Stayed March 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Fort Worth
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2013

I strongly advise anyone reading to read all reviews prior to booking at this hotel. I'm sure there will be a rebuttle to this review, but here are the facts.

1) I am a teacher, coach and have been in an athletic administrative position for 13 of my 19 years in the profession.

2) I have never felt the need to write any kind of a review after a stay good or bad... Good experience? Isn't that the expectation as a traveler and guest? Bad experience? Hey, it happens at times.

3) I unfortunately did have to make several adjustments to my coaching staff's stay due to circumstances out of our control, including a late cancellation on a Saturday morning.

4) The Ramada - Austin Central dramatically increased their rates over the weekend due to SXSW and the Tx HS Men's Basketball State Tourn. that weekend (I do get supply and demand, but the prices went from $80.00 to $180.00 from Wednesday night to Thursday night)

5) The elevator was broken & the 4th floor in which I stayed was being remodeled. Room was average at best, shower head was way to low, little bit of a smell to the room... nothing major though.

6) When I questioned the cancellation policy and the lack of hospitality from the inconvenience of the elevator (a second time), I was asked to leave the property and that there would be no change to the billing.

7) When I said I wasn't leaving because I had paid for the room at this point and that my personal belongings were still in the room, the police were called to have me removed from the property. I waited patiently for the police to arrive. Note - I never once raised my voice, cursed or caused a scene in any way - In fact I waited until the front desk was completely clear of customers.

8) Later that evening I found out that they had rented the room to someone else even though I had paid for it for the night.

9) When I called Ramada's Corporate Office to get suggestions to how to handle the situation, I received a 3-4 line e-mail from the owner of the property stating he received my concern, the policy hasn't changed, the billing will not change & if I return to the property I would be booked for trespassing.

10) I am now unfortunately soending my spring break trying to educate others so they do not experience the same awful experience that I encountered.

*** Please don't take this or any 1 review independently. Read through several pages of reviews and find that this is common place at this establishment. 0 customer care or service.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business

Review collected in partnership with Ramada

RACOwner, Owner at Ramada Austin Central, responded to this review, March 22, 2013
Yes, the elevator was out of service for a few days due to a part that had to be flown in from South Carolina. We are very courteous and respectful to those guests who treat us with respect. We don't normally have to call the police to remove a guest, but it does happen.
San Francisco, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2013 via mobile

Clean and spacious rooms within a basic roadside hotel. Friendly front desk happy to help with transport

Breakfast is included but probably passable unless you enjoy paper plates and plastic cutlery.

No safe but rooms otherwise well equipped.

£20 taxi into the city centre and not a lot around the hotel.

Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
We are right in the I-35 Southbound service road at exit 238A. Our breakfast buffet is better than any of our competition, and yes, is served on plastic plates with plastic cutlery, but it is included in the price! Fresh scrambled eggs, potatoes, ham, sausage, biscuits, gravy, waffles, sweet breads and muffins, yogurts, fruit, coffees, teas, etc.
Dallas, Texas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2013

The hotel did not inform us when we booked the hotel that the elevator was broken. Getting in late and walking to the fifth floor with a bad knee and injured back was not what I expected. It was too late to find somewhere else, especially with SXSW going in in Austin, so we stayed. The staff at the hotel were nice, but the owner was flat out rude. I called him to see if he could offer us 10% off or anything at all to make up for the inconvenience; he said there was neither nothing he could do nor the corporate headquarters could do and hung up on me. Hanging up on me was enough to prevent me from ever booking a room with any Ramada ever again.
Also, the continental breakfast guarantees an awful bowel movement.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family

Been to Ramada Austin Central? Share your experiences!