“Central Austin Ramada Inn: 3.5 stars” 4 of 5 stars

Special Price
Book in Advance; Save 15%
Ranked #99 of 182 hotels in Austin
Boca Raton, Florida, United States
“Central Austin Ramada Inn: 3.5 stars”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2013

Recently I had an interview for a job in Austin, and I wanted to stay somewhere that was pretty close to the company, not too expensive, and reasonably comfortable. My stay here was pretty good, and I wouldn't say I'm dissatisfied.

I would give this hotel 3.5 stars. The price is very reasonable...you will pay about the same price for other hotels in the area, and you will pay more for sure if you try to get closer to downtown. The staff was fine. Some people said they were rude, unkind, or unhelpful, but I didn't find this to be so. They weren't super warm or inviting, but they did their job and didn't make me feel unwelcome. My room was clean and the extra long double was comfortable.

The main problem that I have is that the shower was a little bit schizophrenic. What does this mean? I would turn the shower on, let it get hot, and get in. For about 3 min, it would be fine. Then, gradually, I'd notice how it was a little hotter, then a little cooler. The temperature went back and forth to the point that it was either hurting me it was so hot, or so cold it actually made me yell once! If you take 5 min showers, you wouldn't notice it, but I am more of a 10-15 min lady, and it got a little ridiculous. I believe another person had this problem as well. I didn't complain because I'm not really sure there is anything they can do about it...it seems like they have several rooms sharing a hot water heater.

Some older reviews stated that this Ramada Inn made you "sign in" for breakfast, which didn't really bother me, so I went ahead anyway and booked it. One of the hotels I stayed at in Italy for my honeymoon required us to leave the actual key at the door when we left the hotel, and that didn't affect me in the least, so signing my name to get free food is not an issue! The staff assured me that they don't do this anymore because it is inconvenient for guests, and they were true to their word. They stated that they've had a problem in the past with people trying to come in for a free meal and leaving, so I still really would have been fine with writing that info down for them if asked. The breakfast itself wasn't too exciting, nor was it bad: a buffet with buttery eggs, not great sausage, decent ham, tasteless biscuits and gravy, good potatoes, and typically weak coffee. For me it was great to have free breakfast, so I ate what I liked, and hey! Bad coffee is still pretty good.

Overall, because the staff was fine, room was comfortable, shower was a little uncomfortable, and the breakfast was decent, I would give the place 3.5 stars. I'm not sure if I would go back, but only because having a hot, consistent shower is pretty important to me while I'm travelling.

On a side note, they have REALLY good smelling soap here! It is a citrus-sugar scent, and I can't get enough...I took all the soaps home with me to use for future travel.

Room Tip: As of Jan 2013, they are renovating the bottom 2 floors out of 5, so ask for a higher floor to avoid...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled solo

330 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Mission, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2013

The hotel is located centrally in Austin off the Airport road at the intersection of I35. You would guess that you would have to pay over $100 for a good hotel room for this close in. You would be wrong in this case. I chose this hotel based on the Tripadvisor rating from the rest of you. Thanks! How happy I was! Great place. New walls. New carpets. Really spiffy inside and no road noise.

Room Tip: The 5th floor facing west gives you a great view of the sunset over Austin.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Toluca Mex
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2013

Right now I've used this hotel a couple of times, I used to stay in other hotels in the area but never found anything really good. I was doing a research by internet and this hotel was suggested to me , My thoughts were that for the price it was going to be a bad experience, but I was grateful surprised. Good bathrooms, bed was comfortable, silent AC/Heather, free fast wireless. Probably the only thing that I would change is the service from the employees, nothing really bad but not good either.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business

Been to Ramada Austin Central? Share your experiences!