“Horrible room and customer service” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Econo Lodge

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Austin
Econo Lodge
Save Saved
You added Econo Lodge to your Saves list
6201 E Hwy 290, Austin, TX 78723   |
Ranked #161 of 184 hotels in Austin
bassdaddy
“Horrible room and customer service”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2008

I am no stranger to inexpensive properties, and I am not a hotel snob. I do expect however to receive a clean room for my money. The first thing we noticed in this hellhole were the night stands-they were pulled away from the wall. Behind one was a previous tenants wallet, behind the other was some marijuana scattered on the carpet. The room smelled bad and was in dire need of remodeling as the wallpaper was falling off. I returned the wallet to the front desk, mentioned the marijuana on the floor of the room and was told " We will have to speak to housekeeping about that". No offer of a different room. As we used Choice Hotel reward points for our stay, we were not able to change properties. I later contacted Choice Hotels to see about getting a refund for our points, and was told we would not get the full amount, but they would give us 4000 points as a courtesy. Big deal-the room cost us 10,000. We later received a coupon for 25% off our next stay at that property. What a joke-we would rather sleep in a tent than return to that hotel. If this is an example of how Econolodge and Choice Hotels treat customers, I will take my business elsewhere.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — You name it.
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

11 people have reviewed this hotel

California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2008

This was the worst experience I've ever had at a motel.

I'm not picky, so I overlooked the fact that the furniture was uneven and the vanity was cracked and crooked. But when I went to the bathroom and saw the towel bar hanging from one joint and that it hadn't been cleaned from the last guest, washcloths, towels and soap wrappers were strewn across the floor.

I went to management and complained, but they said the hotel was full and the only thing they could do was to offer me a discount since I was staying in an uncleaned room. I felt bad for the hotel desk attendant, he was young and apologized profusely. His manager was out of town and the cleaning crew was gone for the day. He brought me some clean towels and tried to tidy up the restroom, which was nice. But it still felt nasty in there. If I wasn't on a business trip, I woulda bailed outta there.

• Disliked — The fact that they literally did not clean the room/change towels/etc. between guests.
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled on business
East Texas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2008

Absolute worst hotel I have ever had dis-pleasure of staying at. They advertise free continental breakfast and when asked on first morning I was told then did not have it. On second morning when someone else asked, clerk brought milk, bread OJ and a big tub of margarine (half-empty) out for breakfast. I would not eat breakfast after I saw everyone digging in margarine with their own knife. Not very healthy in my opinion.
Asked for coffee and was told there was a pack of coffee in my room. Told her I drank it and she suggested I go next door to restaurant. She said "there was no water in lobby to make coffee"
No 'wi-fi" as advertised. They did have internet access in lobby, but had a wireless keyboard and batteries were dead and no batteries available.
Run from this place. Run fast and don't look back.

• Liked — nothing
  • Disliked — terrible service from front desk clerks and they did not care if they gave good service or not
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled with family
Houston
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2007

I want to tell you that I’ve never had such an experience in my life. The wife and I drove up to Austin from Houston and we found this place to stay on one of the travel websites. The deal was good, so we booked the room. Now, when we first got into our room I noticed a strong odor. I would have to say it was a musty smell probably from old linens or carpet. We debated as to whether or not to ask for another room as my wife and I are not as young as we used to be and my arm was in a sling. We decided to stay as it was too much trouble to take everything out of the room again. Now, I’m not one to complain about any old thing, but when I pulled back the sheets I noticed a spot one the pillows I intended to use. I could see this through the pillow case, so I took it off to look at the stain. It was about a silver dollar size and I didn’t want to touch it. I thought I could simply take this to the office and ask for another pillow. When I got there and told the manager, Mr. Patel, that I wanted another pillow he just stared at the stain. I asked him again for another pillow. He then said “I didn’t do that.” I said that I didn’t care who did it, I just wanted another pillow. He then stood up from his seat and said that it was not his pillow and told me I was trying to make him look stupid. I really didn’t know what to say to this accusation. I repeated my request for another pillow. Again he told me it was not his pillow and he started walking towards me. Since my arm was in a cast, I did not want to have any trouble with him and I left the office. My wife and I locked ourselves in the room and did not sleep well that night. We didn’t even use the shower. We left early the next morning and did not return to the office. I can’t say I have ever had such a bad experience at a motel. Fortunately I took some photographs of the pillow. All of this fuss over a stain on a pillow!

• Stayed July 2007, traveled with family
chicago
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2007

I found this on kayak.com and its partially my fault for searching for cheap hotels. I accidentally booked a smoking room. EVERY horizontal surface had multiple burns - dressers, bathroom counter, tv, bed. Looked so dirty. Managed to stay the night, tried leaving in the morning, but the door wouldn't lock. Took all my stuff in my car and looked for another hotel, none in town. Had a 5 day reservation at EconoLodge, but when I returned, they had checked me out and resold the room! Then to add insult to injury, when the Choice Hotel help line told the franchaisee that he had to find and pay for another hotel in the area, he was pissy to me! I called this the 2nd worst hotel, as the one he begrudgingly paid for me to stay in the next night was the worts hotel ever.

• Stayed March 2007, traveled on business
Oklahoma
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2006

my room is just not clean and i can't really feel that comfortable in that dirtyroom. the staff just seem not to care about anything. i mean I am, paying my money to stay here and act like i am bothering them with a question!!!!!!!!!!! it's just very diapointeing to stay at this hotel.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Dirty/rude
  • Tips/Secrets — go somewhere else
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled on business
Portland, OR
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2006

This was the Econo Lodge at I-35 and I-290. Registration staff was not "owning" their services. Didn't know how the in-room refrigerators worked. Had no responsibility for the slow running "free Internet" on the public PC. Swimming Pool wasn't clean and they did not know how to get it sanitized. I was on my own. Isn't it the management's job to take ownership and fix what needs fixing or hire someone? Dead cricket sitting in the lobby for days.
No product in the soda vending machine. Seemed like par for the course.

• Liked — Nice waffle breakfast 6-9, Microwave, Fridge in room, free public internet access since I did not bring my laptop.
  • Disliked — Terribly slow internet access. PC not regularly maintained.
  • Tips/Secrets — If you don't need net access it's great with the fridge and microwave. Downtown and State Capitol is about a 10-15 minute drive. Watch those frontage roads, that's the only was to get there. Otherwise you overshoot and have to U-turn on the pass turnabout.
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Econo Lodge? Share your experiences!