“Stay Away From Vanessa, the front desk child. Horrible Human Being.” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Americas Best Value Inn

Save Saved
You added Americas Best Value Inn to your Saves list
Americas Best Value Inn
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   909 E Koenig Lane, Austin, TX 78751-1504   |
Hotel virtual tour
Ranked #123 of 183 hotels in Austin
Brownsville, Texas
“Stay Away From Vanessa, the front desk child. Horrible Human Being.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2013

I had a very negative experience at America's Best Value Hotel this weekend, and while the circumstances involving why were personal, I was baffled with a service I received from a front desk employee named Vanessa on Sunday.
She was bitter, rude, and to my understanding I did nothing but ask if anyone had checked out of the room I was staying. I was kind, and she answered my question as if I harassed her.
To make a long story short, I split the payment for the room with a friend, but gave her cash and she payed with a credit card, so technically the room was under her name. My friend and I got in an argument Saturday night, and she decided to hold my belongings hostage to retaliate. I had no access to the room that night when I attempted to pick up my things, and the front desk night employee was sympathetic and understanding, and I knew he was simply doing his job, because he tried to be as kind as possible when he informed me it would be illegal to let me inside the room.
However, when I returned Sunday morning, Vanessa was anything but. Not only did she deliver the information in a rude manner, as she rolled her eyes at me, but she proceeded to make a phone call right in front of me and discuss my personal situation with her tone sounding like she was making fun of me, and was completely annoyed she had to deal with me. She made it a point to inform me that the front desk employee from the previous night was, "not her manager" because I used the word "manager" when I asked if he had filled her in. To be frank, whether he was her manager or not was the least important detail in my life, I was worried about whether or not I'd be able to retrieve my things and the only support I received from Vanessa was telling me the room had not been checked out of.
Ultimately, I will never return to this place. Vanessa made a stressful situation even more stressful. The man who worked the night shift was astounding, and quick suggestion, hire more people like him, less people like her.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends

86 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Groningen, The Netherlands
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2013

Stayed for 5 night with colleagues when visiting Dell. Not sure why somoen booked this place for us, as it is way below the standard of hotels we normally stay in.

However, if you are on very tight budget it isn't a bad option. Rooms are very large with two Queen double beds. They come well equipped with two Queen beds, fridge, coffee apparatus, iron and ironing board. Staff were fine and gave us good recommendations for restaurants within walking distance. There are quite a few of these, so I don't understand some of the comment below. I really recommend "Texas Land & Cattle Steakhouse", which we like so much we went there for two nights.

Location isn't very appealing (next to several main roads) and the place looks awful form the outside. Breakfast looked unappealing, so I didn't try it.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
tahlequah
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2013

This hotel was nice with good Service! I'd use an America's Best Value Inn again! It was clean and close to the Capitol and the stadium. It's a nice location and have nice rooms! We weren't able to check in early, but it was the weekend of the first home college football game.

Room Tip: This hotel was decent! I'd use America's Best Value Inn again!
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Los Angeles, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

I was completely mislead by the reviews on Tripadvisor. This was absolutely one of the worst places I've ever stayed.

First of all, the customer service was terrible. When checking in I told the woman behind the counter that I'm a light sleeper and would prefer a quiet room on the top floor. She launched into this whole long speech about how the rooms were preassigned by the computer and there was nothing she could do about. I indicated I understood but she wouldn't stop lecturing me about it.

The room was clean (enough). There were lots of dead bugs on the floor and we saw several live roaches. The mattress was felt old and far too soft. The worst part about the room we stayed it was that it had a connecting door to another room. Normally this would be okay but this place was so poorly constructed you could hear someone talking at a normal volume in the next room. My issue was that I could hear my neighbors talking, drinking, and watching TV till 3 in the morning. I called the front desk to complain several times. They called the people in the other room but after the 3rd time I called I was told there was nothing they could do. I got 3 hours of sleep.

Breakfast was sad. They thankfully had some bananas but the rest of the food consisted of pastries and sugary cereal. On top of it all they had a televangelist on the TV in the breakfast room so I had to listen to Joel Osteen make sexist comments about women needing to shop at Victoria's Secret to please God... yeah it made no sense to me either.

So do yourself a favor, don't stay here. There are lots of other places in the area that are much nicer at the same price point.

Room Tip: You don't get to choose your room. They're preassigned before you arrive.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Dallas, Texas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2013

I have stayed in all types of hotels, from Hiltons, Hyatts to motels, but I haven't stayed in a hotel with as unfriendly staffs as this one. Being in a service industry, the minimum one expects from a hotel is nice, friendly treatment of its guests. But the staff here take their guests not only as granted but also mistreat them. Firstly they made me stand 20 minutes during check-in while an old guy at the reception was sorting through his own stuff. Finally, he gave me the keys but didn't tell me where's the room. On asking, he just said go left. I spent another 15-20 minutes searching for the room and it ended up being on the opposite side, i.e. on right. And my horror didn't end here, when I tried swiping the key, it didn't work. I came back to reception with all my luggage, and then asked old guy, why was the key not working. He just casually said, it happens sometime. Then again he gave me another set of keys. But this time, I didn't want to return back again, so I asked him to accompany me. He bluntly refused saying, I can't leave the counter, inspite of the fact there was another lady at the reception. I went back to my room, and after several attempts got into the room. I don't think I have ever or will ever come across such shockingly rude staff.

Rooms are okay, but the surrounding of the hotel aren't. There are always shady characters hanging around, and you can hear the noise outside from wtihin the room.

Truly, a pathetic, pathetic hotel. I could have given this hotel 0 stars, but there isn't an option to do so.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2013

It was a very simple, very basic offering with a very big bed. The bathroom was kind of small, but I forgive them because they make space for a dresser, fold-out ironing board (with iron). The area is nothing fabulous, in fact, below average.

But with free breakfast (not great), vending machines (cool), atm (great), air-conditioning and helpful staff, I can not fault them. I found it to be quite far from any decent bars, malls and nightlife.

Probably would not go back, but dont regret being there. The Austin City Police Dept dont make for an awesome welcoming sight. Also some signage would help, it was quite hard to find.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2013

This place was great. The staff was very friendly and helpful, the room was spotless, had a really nice ambiance, and was very well-equipped, and it was easy to get into the centre with a car. An absolute bargain - I'd thoroughly recommend it.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Americas Best Value Inn? Share your experiences!