“Disappointed in Austin” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #10 of 21 Specialty Lodging in Austin
Austin, Texas
“Disappointed in Austin”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

I purchased the room as a two star but it is really a half star. The room smelled of animal droppings. The lighting was minimal so as not to attract attention to the stains on the carpet or the portrait drawn into the foam headboard with some dull instrument. I would have registered my complaint with the desk staff but my experience with check in led me to believe it would have been futile. I left after two hours because the stench gave me such a headache.

Room Tip: Don't use Hotwire and stay for more than one night
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
Manager_11525, Manager at Extended Stay America - Austin - Metro, responded to this review, August 1, 2013
Hi there,

Your review for our hotel was recently brought to my attention. The problems you described are unacceptable and I sincerely apologize for your experience. In response to your feedback, I am meeting with the maintenance and housekeeping teams to ensure they use better attention to detail when making rooms ready to sell to avoid similar experiences with other guests. I have also spoken to the front desk to make sure they are available, welcoming and responsive. Thank you very much for providing us with your feedback. If you would like to discuss this further, please do not hesitate to contact me mtr@extendedstay.com. I do hope that you will return to our hotel, or any of our other brand locations across the U.S. and Canada in the future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Mesquite, Texas, USA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2013

Easy check in and check out. Very much a "home" feel. Great price for having a kitchen and separate living area. Only issue was dirty pool but it had been raining earlier in the day. Would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Hi there,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay. We appreciate you letting us know that the pool was dirty during your stay. We are sorry for this issue, but are happy to read that we provided you with an overall great experience. Thank you for choosing Extended Stay Hotels. We hope to see you again soon.
Mexia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

The hotel can not be found by GPS, but once you locate it, it is easy to return to...The hotel and rooms are a bit dated, yet comfortable for the price you pay. It is in the middle of all the major highways so if you are there for the attractions, this is a good place to sta.

If you are use to staying in upscale hotels, this MAY not be the place for you. The surrounding neighborhood may be considered "rundown" to some...BUT IT IS VERY SAFE. I had no problem leaving my H2 Hummer parked and even left it unlocked several nights...only to walk out of the hotel the next day and found it was still sitting there....untouched :)

There are non-smoking rooms; however, the 3rd floor is split with non-smoking rooms on one side of the elevator and smoking rooms on the other side of the elvator...so the hallway does smell like smoke. The room was comfortable, pleantly of pillows and VERY HOT WATER in the shower...The hotel has an average fitness center - no free weights or weights of anykind; and the laundry facility was tolerable. The dryer does get very hot....

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Fort Worth, Texas, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2013

We came to town to visit family and wanted to be able to have our own space. ESA Austin Metro made the possible for us. Traveling with a three yr old is not always easy. It was nice to be on the first floor so that was my three yr old could run around and not be bothering other guests. Tracie made sure everything we needed was taken care of. We didn't have time to use the pool but it was clean, the grounds around the hotel were clean and free of trash. All the staff greeted us when ever we crossed paths. We will be staying here again when we come to Austin. Thanks ESA Austin Metro !

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Austin - Metro, responded to this review, August 2, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay. I'm glad that you found your room to be so clean and comfortable. Also, I am pleased to hear that Tracie was very helpful during your stay.

Los Angeles, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013

ive stayed in many motels in this area of Austin on business trips and the experience is always the same. not very good. the area is very convenient since its around all the major highways running thru Austin, BUT the area is VERY rundown.

The area is pretty bad. Surrounded by lower income housing and vacant businesses, there are alot of bum's and panhandlers walking the streets all day and night. All the property in the area, (motels, stores, businesses, etc) are all old and have not been renovated so things look pretty beat up. While the motel itself isnt bad, I wouldnt bring my family here for a long stay or anything mostly due to safety concerns. 90% of the motels ive visited in this area, lock the front office after 10pm to keep un-wanted people from coming inside and loitering around the lobby and building, trying to use facilities like the laundry room, pool, gym, and business centers.

The hotel room itself was in decent condition but definitely has some wear and tear on the carpeting, kitchen counters, in the bathroom, and on the furniture. The double bed room was pretty big with a full kitchen (full fridge, mini stove, full size microwave, kitchen sink, small bar, they even provide glasswear, silverwear, and a pots & pans set to use), 2 beds, big closet, small sitting area with loveseat and table, small desk area, and 32" flatscreen tv.

During my stay, housekeeping never came by so the room was never refreshed. Most other motels/hotels will come by every day and make the beds, provide fresh bathroom linens, take out the trash, and basically refresh the room. I guess they do not do that at this motel.

The property itself is somewhat old but they still seem to be able to maintain it decently. They have a small lobby and sitting area with a flat screen tv on the wall and a very small breakfast bar which only provides, coffee, apples, oranges, and packaged breakfasts (packaged muffins, breakfast bars, and oatmeal). All the other motels ive stayed at in this area provide WAY more breakfast options so this was pretty disappointing.

There is a small laundry facility and a tiny room used a gym with 3 cardio machines. Everything was dated but seemed to be in good condition.

They also provide free wifi so that is always a good perk while traveling.

Overall, a decent stay. This place is ok for quick stops for a night or short business trips when you need a low cost place to stay with features like a mini studio. (the full kitchen in the rooms and the laundry facility makes it feel like a mini apartment)

I might stay here again if i have to go back for business.

Room Tip: always request to stay on the top floor for a quieter stay.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Frisco, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2013

This hotel was hard to find even with a GPS. Once we found it, it was then easy to return. We asked for a non smoking room. Even though there was a sign on the door that read non smoking, the hallway (3rd floor) was filled with smoke. I asked to be on the first floor and that took care of the problem. The staff was very nice, friendly and helpful. The room was adequate and clean. Nothing fancy. The kitchen was out of date, but we didn't use it as we were in town for a concert. Many restaurants are close by. The grab and go breakfast had coffee, muffins and apples.

Room Tip: Floor 3 has heavy smoke in the hall. First floor halls were smoke free.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Houston
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2013

We arrived to the front desk, no problems with check in, pleasant man took our reservation information. We were given key cards to rm 123. Upon arrival, room was clean, neat and in order. Then we decided it was time to get the sofa bed made up for our kids. Clean sheets, pillow cases and pillows were available, but a trip back down to the front desk to get a blanket. No problem, this was done quickly and back in the room. Getting ready to lay down, sat on edge of bed by the window and the whole bed flipped up and almost tossed me to the floor. Reported the bed to the front desk, rooms are all full, back to room where my husband and father-in-law uprooted the bed and fixed the frame. All good now, no more problems with the bed. Lastly, getting up at 5:30am, went to the bathroom and a giant roach (wood roach variety) was trying to escape the vent grate. I did kill it with hairspray (yea, I'm laughing now too) but it needed to die before my girls got up or they would have never went in the bathroom. It was the only roach we seen/heard. Otherwise the place was ok, we were on the bottom floor, no noises, no rowdy people, and the front desk clerk on the night shift was so very nice. The couch, tv, chair sitting area was great, loved that feature and loved the full size fridge/microwave/kitchen. Everything we needed was there and yes I recleaned before we used items, and we redid it again before putting dishes away. I would probably stay again, all the problems turned out to be minor, except the gross roach.

Room Tip: I forgot my bug spray, I usually carry a small can. I recommend this for any hotel stay, not just he...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family

Been to Extended Stay America - Austin - Metro? Share your experiences!