“Nice Hotel with great staff” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #89 of 191 Hotels in Austin
Memphis, Tennessee
“Nice Hotel with great staff”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2012

We stayed there overnight for a college visit for our daughter. It was convenient to campus and a nice room. But the staff really went out of the way to be helpful. My wife is allergic to feather pillows. I indicated as such on my reservation and when we checked in they met us in the room to switch out the pillows. Our breakfast plans changed before our campus tour and the breakfast in the hotel was very nice.

I would recommend this hotel to anyone needing a nice room convenient to campus and down town Austin.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (70)
Fort Worth, Texas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2012

I travel often and try to give the benefit of the doubt to most establishments. This is my first time to leave a negative review of any place but I wanted to give fair warning to my fellow travelers. I stayed this past weekend, September 27-30, with 2 of my co-workers, for a conference. One of them roomed with me and the other had his own room. The room itself was your typical hotel room, nothing special or unordinary, but as someone else said more along the lines of a Comfort Inn than a Doubletree. I've stayed in Doubletrees before that were very nice and was surprised at the quality of this one - nothing special. There was an ironing board, hair dryer, etc.; no refrigerator. Free wi-fi was a nice perk but they shut it off by my final morning there so I wasn't able to log onto my computer to check on things before checking out (it was around 8 a.m. when I attempted it). I didn't have anything urgent to address so I didn't ask them for a password for the morning, we were just ready to get out of there by that point.

The biggest problem in our room was the shower. The first morning, it was SCALDING hot, and there was no way to adjust the temperature. I ended up having to turn it off while I scrubbed up and then braced myself to rinse. It wasn't just me; my roommate had the same problem. Our other co-worker, on the other hand, said he had no hot water and his A/C was out. We reported our problems to the front desk. We were told that they were recalibrating the water temps for winter and were aware of the issues, and assured us there had been an engineer working on it all night. He also told my co-worker they would have his A/C repaired that day.

When we returned to the room after the conference that evening, the A/C in my co-worker's room was still broken. There was no note or call from the front desk with an update. He called to inquire, and they said they would send someone up immediately. He asked instead to transfer rooms, and they did accommodate that request. His new room was fine, no A/C or shower problems.

Morning #2 - my co-worker got an early start and told me the shower was now lukewarm - probably a litle too cool now, and again with no way to adjust, but tolerable. By the time I showered an hour or so later, we were back to scalding hot, and even worse than the day before. Morning #3 was back to the level of morning #1. That concludes my portion of the stay but...

On Saturday evening, we met our co-worker downstairs for dinner and he was not casual, as we'd discussed. It turns out he left his jeans in the original room. He called the front desk, and they told him they were probably in the lost and found closet...but they did not have a key! They said only the housekeeping manager has a key, and that person wouldn't be back until 10:00 the next morning. He asked for a manager, and was told again that the only person with a key was the housekeeping manager because they don't want multiple staff members to have access, so that nothing could be stolen from there. But for a hotel not to even trust a front desk manager? This was completely unacceptable. On Sunday morning he delayed his departure until after 10:00 so they could check for them, and it was really not a big surprise - his jeans were not in the lost and found closet. Which means either housekeeping didn't find them or just didn't bother to turn them in.

Obviously, none of us would recommend this hotel. Stay somewhere else.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Moore, Oklahoma
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2012

There were a few pros about this hotel and a lot of cons.

Pros: Friendly staff, hotel bar, free parking and short distance to sixth street and downtown (inexpensive cab fare).

Cons: The only restuarant on the same side of the highway within walking distance is Dennys. The hotel restaurant and bar was expensive and only stayed open until 11pm. The food was mediocre, but not worth the price we paid. One night we bought a small bottled water and a kit kat from the pantry and it was $4. To me, that is slightly ridiculous. The shower door in our room was off the track the entire time and being that they are glass doors, we were afraid they would break. Once, the door came entirely off. There was no microwave/fridge in our room, which I guess is something we should've checked before booking. For the price, it would've been nice to have those. It's decently priced for the location, the other doubletree in downtown was about $65 more per night and only a few miles away, but with the money we spent on a cab, it probably would've equaled out if we'd stayed there.

Overall, I've been much more impressed with the Hiltons and Hamptons we have stayed at. Not sure if we will choose a DoubleTree again.

Room Tip: There is a creepy, old cemetery next door so I would ask for a room facing the opposite direction. W...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Road, Warrior
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2012

I am a frequent business traveler, so i have probably seen it all since I spend at least 200 nights a year in hotels. Usually only the truly exceptional or the very poor inspire me to write a review. This, unfortunately is one of the worst.

It all began at check-in when I encountered a disinterested clerk who refused my request for a room with a king bed. I checked in on a Monday with check out scheduled for Saturday. It seemed extremely slow at the hotel at around 5pm, with maybe 10 cars in the parking lot. I have seen just few people around the hotel all week, the Texas football team is on a bye, it has just been dead here. Still, i was told the king rooms were sold out. Actually, I should clarify. First i was told they were sold out for Thursday and Friday nights. It was after I volunteered to move on Thursday if they needed my room, the story changed to the king rooms just weren't available - to me.

You see, my company often uses third party sites when booking my travel to save money. This stay was booked through Hotwire. The clerk decided to point this out, adding that when the room is booked this way "you get whatever we have available". Apparently that was a room at the end of the hall with two double beds that must be the closest hotel to the interstate. I mean I could throw a rock out my window and hit a moving car. That close. It is a pet peeve when I'm treated like an inferior guest based on where my company booked the room.

The room itself is very average, and not very clean. The old school wall unit for air conditioning was filthy with dirt and dust. The desk had some sticky residue on it like from a spilled soft drink. The shower had some unknown black gunk on its base. The door to the room looks like someone scraped a pitch fork across it. But I had already had it out with the front desk, so I just dealt with it.

The next day, I leave the room to work in the morning and walked past at least two cleaning service carts. Still, when I came back to the room, it was not serviced at all. This time, I called the front desk to ask why it hadnt been cleaned and about my experience at check-in. To this, a different clerk responsed "well, what would you like me to do about it"? Am I really supposed to make suggestions? I told him I would put some garbage from the night before outside the room and that they could come and pick it up. As I write this, it still hasn't been picked up.

There is no way this should be labeled a 3.5 star hotel. I would never stay here again. Unless you're going to a Texas football game, which is within walking distance, I suggest you don't either. God forbid you end up here through Priceline or Hotwire, you may end up sleeping in a broom closet.

• Stayed September 2012
Georgetown, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2012

This was a nice hotel but not the quality I would expect from a Hilton. We were on the highway side so I would expect it to be noisy at night-and it was. I didn't think this was any better than a Comfort Inn. At least Comfort Inn offers a free breakfast and has a microwave/fridge in the rooms. Otherwise, it was a nice stay.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
San Antonio, Texas, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2012

Rooms reasonably priced for a location that is reasonably close to downtown. Friendly and attentive staff. Spacious sized rooms. Easy access from I-35. The quality of food served at our business lunch there was superb. Only downside was a bit too much noise from I-35.

Room Tip: Try to get a room that doesn't face I-35.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Little Rock, Arkansas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2012

You might not think this is such a good location, but it is, walk to U of T campus. Quick access from 15th St. FREE parking. Front desk service was friendly and fantastic. Bar was great, Breakfast great too. I already have reservations for a return trip. I have recently stayed at other downtown hotels that were louder, ruder, smaller.

Room Tip: Stayed on 5th floor, it was quiet even though it faced the freeway.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family

Been to DoubleTree by Hilton Austin - University Area? Share your experiences!