“Started off bad but improved with staff help.” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #89 of 191 Hotels in Austin
Los Angeles, California
“Started off bad but improved with staff help.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2012

Chwcked in at 10pm for a 5-day Conf. Stayed here for convenience not charm but ended up in a dark room with loud I-35 traffic noise, dimly lit bathroom and no hot water (it was tepid at best). Complained in the morning and took my suitcase down to the front desk- was switched to a much better room by thw time i returned to the hotel later that day: better lit, no car noise, light-up vanity mirror in bathroom helped quite a bit, and (most impr) hot water galore. Don't expect much in terms of food (too $$ bkfst for mostly instant and packaged items), but ok. Hotel gym was small but 3 of 4 machines worked and they had free weights.

• Stayed April 2012
HiltonRTPGM, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Austin - University Area, responded to this review, April 17, 2012
Thank you for your review of our hotel on Trip Advisor. I was glad to hear that we responded appropriately and were able to turn your stay around. Your feedback is extremelly important to our success and can assure you that we review all feedback received to help us improve moving forward. Thank you for choosing our hotel while in Austin and we look forward to your return.

Bryan Heintz

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (70)
Miami, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2012

We stayed here for three days earlier this month. We are Hilton Gold but we kept having to ask for our benefits (breakfast, internet and bottles of water). The Hotel staff were always quick with their service. On our last day we had no hot water and they refused to consider crediting us part of our last day's stay!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel on Trip Advisor. As a Hilton HHonors Gold member your loyalty is extremelly important to our success. Your feedback will help us improve our customer experience moving forward. I can certainly understand your frustration and share your concern with regards to the hot water opportunity and will use your feedback to continue to develop and empower our team to ensure customer satisfaction. Thank you for choosing our hotel while in Austin and we look forward to your return.

Washington DC, District of Columbia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2012

The service at this hotel is amazing. The front desk is super friendly, which in my opinion, really makes or breaks a hotel. What this hotel's biggest issue is, is the location. While you have a gorgeous view of the football stadium, it is right on the highway. What this translates into is noise. We had to turn the air up to a colder than desirable temperature in order to dull out the traffic noise. Unless you want to walk to downtown, which could take you quite some time (perhaps an hour) getting a taxi is a pain. Plan to schedule at least 30 minutes prior to your departure for a taxi.

There is a Denny's on the property, which makes very late night munching very possible. They're having some kind of peanut butter special which allowed me to take in some unwanted calories. :)

There are no suites in this hotel, but the rooms are nice. The cleaning staff take pride in their work and it shows. It's not that I wouldn't want to stay here in the future, it's that I just prefer a quieter, more central location.

Ask for a room without a view unless you really want to look at the stadium and are a deep sleeper.

Room Tip: Ask for a room not facing the highway unless you want to be rocked to sleep by the sounds of passing...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel on Trip Advisor. I appreciate the kind comments regarding the service you received. We pride ourselves in taking ownership and providing an exceptional customer experience. While we are located on the highway we also have room locations that are extremelly quite as they are located on the side of the hotel away from the highway (next to the cemetary). We also offer white noise machines to assist in obtaining a peaceful nights rest. We appreciate your feedback as it keeps us focused and moving forward. Thank you for choosing our hotel while in Austin and we look forward to your return.

Tampa, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2012

I stayed here for one night on a business trip to Austin. The hotel itself is nice, on par with other newer model Double Tree hotels. I believe it was remodeled recently. The location is convenient to down town, UT, and I-35. However, it is not walkable unless you are going to the UT sports areas. One of the charms of down town Austin is how easy it is to walk around and go to entertainment and restaurants. Since this hotel is on the opposite side of I-35 it is isolated from the rest of down town proper. But, if you plan on driving everywhere anyways then that is not a problem.

Hotel property:
Nice property with free parking and a Denny's restaurant in the parking lot. There is I-35 on one side of the hotel and a cemetery on the other. There is a bar, restaurant, sundries shop and pool. I did not use any of these facilities, but they looked nice enough.

Room:
Typical Double tree with comfortable beds, granite in the bathroom, tub/shower, desk, flat screen TV, etc. I faced I-35 and did not experience any noise issues at all, and I sleep VERY lightly. The room was clean except for a few stray hairs in the tub.

Internet:
The hotel has free WiFi, but it was really slow while I was there. You can pay for a faster service, but even the pay service is pretty slow by today's standards - and especially Austin's standards since they are one of the most "connected" cities in the USA. The free service was up to 256K and the pay service was up to 7xxK (I cannot remember the full speed of the pay service, but it was in the 700K range.).

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel on Trip Advisor. Your feedback is very important to our success. While our location is not in the heart of downtown Austin, we are very convenient to the University of Texas and just a short cab ride to anywhere in the downtown area. As we offer complimentary parking, a cab ride is usually less expensive than the cost incurred for overnight parking at a downtown hotel. We are also currently in the process of upgrading our internet and by the end of April will have the capability of 100 mb of speed with AT&T as our carrier. We look forward to your return to our hotel in the future.

Houston, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2012

We stayed here for 1 night while in town for a concert last weekend. A friend of ours that was also going had stayed there before and recommended it. We checked in around 3pm on a saturday...it was a breeze and we were each given a delicious warm chocolate chip cookie. Sugar is the way to my heart for sure :) Our room was on the 5th floor and looked out onto I-35 and parts of the UT campus. I did notice that you could definitey hear highway noise while in the room, but it didn't end up being an issue for me since I was exhausted by the time we got in that evening anyway. The room was very nice...plenty spacious for 2 of us. We had a king bed, there were 2 upholstered chairs (one with an ottoman), as well as a dresser, closet, and work desk. The bed was very plush and comfortable. The bathroom was large with plenty of counter space and a walk in shower. Really my only complaint was that lack of good lighting anywhere in the room. The light in the restroom was pretty dim and yellowish and the lamps in the room were sufficient, but I just like somewhere nice and bright to do my hair and make up. Other than the lighting, everything else was great with the room and I'd stay here again. The hotel has room service, a restaurant and a bar, but we did not use any of them. There is also a Denny's right in the hotel parking lot. I suppose I should add that the hotel and alot of the hotel parking back up to a very large cemetary...could be a little creepy to some maybe? Didn't bother me though. This hotel is in a great spot if you are doing anything in or around the UT campus. It's at 15th and I-35, so you're not far at all from the famous 6th street either.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
HiltonRTPGM, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Austin - University Area, responded to this review, March 28, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel on Trip Advisor. I appreciate your honest and detailed review of our hotel as well as the feedback regarding the lighting in your bathroom. We strive to provide a very nice hotel with complimentary parking and personalized warm service to each and every guest. I am happy to see that you enjoyed your stay and look forward to your return.

DaizyB
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2012

From the moment that I arrived at this hotel, the service fell far short of expectations for the Doubletree brand. I was coming into Austin for SXSW as I have in years past. By the time I booked my reservation all of the main downtown were full. Having stayed at the Doubletree near the capital in Austin, I was expecting similar accommodations. Being that this was a very busy week, I'm willing to overlook things like dirty footprints on the carpets but chipped paint in the room and broken tiles in the shower were unexpected. As I stood in line waiting to check in, three people stood behind the front desk an only one of them was dealing with customers. When I asked the woman at the front desk if there was a shuttle or a train stop to get to downtown more easily, she snidely replied that I could take a taxi if I wanted. When I checked into my room, the toilet was running loudly. The problem was fixed quickly but it would recur more than once over the course of my 5 day stay. At no point did any of the staff apologize for the recurring problem of the loud broken toilet. At check out the front desk staff was similarly unhelpful. The location is very close to the university and about a 25 minute walk into downtown if you choose to walk. The WiFi is free and reliable and the beds are comfortable. Unfortunately my experience with regard to the service at this establishment would keep me from staying here again.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to write a review and provide feedback regarding your stay at our hotel. I would like to sincerely apologize for the substandard service that you received while staying at our property. Feedback, such as yours, is very much appreciated as it helps us move forward and continue to grow. Thank you for allowing me the opportunity to respond to your concerns. You can be assured we review all feedback and use both the positive and negative feedback to help us improve our level of service. Thank you for choosing the DoubleTree By Hilton Austin University Area while in the Austin area.

Peachtree Corners, GA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2012

Our cab driver dropping us off at the hotel said, people had complained about this hotel before. I asked him if it was because it was next door to a huge graveyard. No, we found out why after we checked in. I was traveling with a co-worker, and we both went to put our things our rooms before going to get some food. My room smelled terribly when I went in--I tried to turn on the air-con to see if it would get better, but that's where the smell was coming from. I called the front desk and they gave me another room. As I went to the elevator, I saw my co-worker standing at the elevator with her bags. When she went into her room, the floor around the air conditioner was soaking wet. We both got handicapped rooms as replacements. Mine seemed okay. She said the chair in her new room was covered with something sticky, so she had to cover the chair with a towel. As mentioned in other reviews, the Denny's in the parking lot is the only close restaurant, and it was adequate. We could have walked further but the weather threatened rain. The front desk was very nice, but it didn't make up for the questionable issues with our first rooms. Also, when I had called Doubletree, I had wanted the hotel closer to our meetings, but it was full, and before I could tell them I would find a different hotel, the operator was already making these reservations. Not a good way to win friends and continued clients.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel on Trip Advisor. I apologize for the inconveniences mentioned and appreciate your feedback as this will help us improve moving forward. I also appreciate the kind comments regarding the service you received and will be sure to pass your comments to the front desk. I wish your experience would have been a more positive experience and can assure you that we will address the issues mentioned with our housekeeping department for review and corrective action. Thank you for allowing me the opportunity to respond as well thank you for choosing the DoubleTree By Hilton Austin University while staying in Austin.

Bryan Heintz

Been to DoubleTree by Hilton Austin - University Area? Share your experiences!