“Can't beat this hotel when visiting Austin” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save on WiFi!
Ranked #28 of 184 Hotels in Austin
Houston, Texas
“Can't beat this hotel when visiting Austin”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2013

For the past three years, I travel to Austin every three months. This hotel by far exceeds any expectations I have for stays outside of my home. The problem is I tend to compare other hotels to the Doubletree Suites-Austin and many fall short of the bar. In addition, they're always helpful in storing my bike when a room is not available prior to check-in.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Lee B, Sales Coordinator at DoubleTree Suites by Hilton - Austin, responded to this review, May 20, 2013
Dear Dr-GDillon,

Thank you so much for your really nice feedback! We’re not just a music town, but also a ‘bike kind of town’ and we’re happy to assist you and your bike! Your kind words are much appreciated and we hope to see you and your bike again soon! Don’t forget the Livestrong ride in October!

Sales Coordinator

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
Atlanta
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2013

This is a very nice suite setup near the state capitol, about 9 blocks from the entertainment district. There are good restraints a little nearer but the hot spots are a bit of a hike.
The staff and rooms however are very nice.

I would definitely return.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Tardawg,

I certainly understand what you’re saying. Our hotel is ‘a little bit of a hike from the entertainment and warehouse districts’ but don’t forget we have complimentary hotel shuttle (fondly known as our ‘Sweet Ride’) within a two mile radius, which includes both districts mentioned above. I appreciate your feedback and will pass along your kind words to my teammates.

Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2013

Had a solid stay here on a somewhat busy Saturday.

Very nice property that has recently been remodeled so everything looks new with an updated contemporary decor. Rooms are big and truly a suite with a separate bedroom you can close off with a real door, and a kitchenette with small sink, microwave, dishwasher, full size refrigerator. There is a dinette/desk combo area that works well. For longer stays, request a room with a cooktop. My room was very clean and overall in good working order. Inside the room, it was very quiet, despite some noise from guests to be heard when out in the hallway. Check in was smooth, swift, and friendly. I am a Hilton Honors Gold member, and used points for my stay. I was given a room on the 9th floor with an awesome view of the Capitol. The pool and fitness areas looked nice but I did not use them on my short stay. The reasons why I cannot give this property a five is that the thermostat to control the indoor temperature was inconsistent. When set at a comfortable temp for the bedroom, the living area was too cold. I also found the doormen to be inattentive at times even when the hotel was not busy at all. For example, when we arrived to check in, the doormen were just standing around and did not even look at us nor did they offer to help with our bags. There were a couple of times when returning to the hotel that a doorman did not open the door for us guests returning. Yet, I will say the valet parking attendant whom I tracked down was helpful, and he swiftly parked our car. The front desk for check in were always attentive and professional. This is not a five star hotel but more like a solid three, so I am not expecting personalized greetings and the sort but do expect basic help from the doormen given they are there. If I stay at a Hampton, I expect to carry my own bags and park my own car. I would also say that perhaps a little more attention could be paid to keeping the front lobby area clean, as the morning of our departure there was a little bit of trash that was beginning to pile up, and the floor could have used a good sweeping.

I happen to live in Austin, so I know the town well enough. As for location, you are super close to the Capitol and UT campus areas, but you are not exactly in the heart of downtown, though areas such as 6th Street and the Warehouse district are walkable for some folks. Though some would probably want to drive and park if going there from this hotel. You can park on the street meters on Sundays in Austin for free. You will definitely want to drive if going to other popular areas of interest such as South Congress (SoCo), Zilker Park, Barton Springs, and so forth.

There is a full service restaurant in the hotel but we did not eat there, yet the menu looked to offer some tasty basic options. I have heard the food is actually good, even if a hotel restaurant. That said, you do have the option for room service at this DoubleTree Suites. Austin has some awesome dining options though. There is also a Starbucks about two blocks away, conveniently located to the hotel, that I did walk to early Sunday morning. It is a good one with the usual drinks and food options and friendly baristas.

All in all, I really enjoyed my stay at the DoubleTree Suites in Austin, and would not hesitate to book here again even if paying, as the rates are quite reasonable for the very good accommodations you get.

Room Tip: If you want the best view, ask for a south side room on the 8th floor or above, or book a corner sui...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Dear KayC803,

I truly appreciate your valuable feedback. Sounds like we need to raise the bar on a few areas and my apologies you did not experience some basic services. We pride ourselves on exceptional detailed service but happy your enjoyed your stay overall. I will relay your feedback, particularly where we need to improve and appreciate you pointing out the good and our areas for improvement.

We hope to see you again in the future.

Arlington, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2013

This is the second year in a row that I've stayed at this Doubletree for a business conference. I'm very glad I did because the staff, location and facilities are still outstanding. The suites are spacious and very comfortable. I recommend the higher floors and, if you can get one, a corner room with a view towards the Capitol. The staff go out of their way to provide superb customer service.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business

Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

Dear Debra D,

Thank you for the outstanding feedback! I will pass along your compliments to my teammates. We’ll see you next year, Debra!

Houston, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2013

I am satisfied every time I stay here. The rooms are big and the location next to the Capitol can't be beat. The staff is always friendly. There are many hotels in downtown Austin and the Doubletree is one of the best. Helpful hint, if you are looking for a great dive bar walk a couple of blocks to The Cloak Room.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Dear Houston1836,

I am so glad to hear after multiple stays you consider out hotel to be the best in Austin. What an incredible compliment! I will pass along your remarks to our team and hope to serve as your host again in the future.

P.S. Did you know our State Capitol used to have a tunnel leading to the Cloak Room!

Regards,

The Woodlands, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2013 via mobile

We walked in at 9:30 without a reservation. The doorman and the reception staff were very welcoming. We got a beautiful suite on the twelfth floor with a large bedroom, living room, and bathroom as well as a kitchenette and a dinette/desk area. I would have given this a 5 for the room but the refrigerator was loud. The beds were super comfy, lots if pillows, soft towels. Will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed May 2013
Dear HoustonLibrarian,

I’m glad our suite was comfortable and the service was warm and welcoming, but unfortunate you had issues with your refrigerator. I will relay your comments to our Engineering Director so he can address this concern with his team.

Thank you for the feedback. If you’re ever in the Austin area again please give us a call. We’d love to have you back to experience a noise free frig!

Houston
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2013

Super nice hotel with an affordable price. Can't say enough nice things. The cookies are AWESOME, too! We had a two queen suite with separate living area and kitchenette. Walked to the Capital and could leave the car parked there. The only drawback is parking underground with a crew cab pickup. VERY tight but the valet parking attendant helped us! Highly recommend.

Room Tip: We did not have a view of the Capital. Didn't want to pay the price difference. Just didn't...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business

Been to DoubleTree Suites by Hilton - Austin? Share your experiences!