“Nice, Standard Business Hotel_DvB” 3 of 5 stars

2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   4141 Governors Row, Austin, TX 78744 (South Austin)   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #59 of 183 hotels in Austin
Texas
“Nice, Standard Business Hotel_DvB”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2012

This hotel has the standard amenities and decorations, layout, etc. consistent with the brand. In reviewing the increasingly standardized properties of international brands, many aspects of the usual reports are predictable or otherwise commonly known.

Some points particular to this property include staff, location, and those points stemming from such factors.

Staff: The staff members were each and all very friendly and efficient. The cleanliness of the room and upkeep of the interior are further evidence of capable and attentive staff. My bill, including tax free application, was correct and in order.

Location: Though the city is relatively small, and distance to downtown is not many miles, drive times are lengthened by traffic. Austin’s good economy has attracted job seekers, some of whom are from out of state—which means non-Texas drivers. Apparently, some states do not encourage slow drivers to move from the left lane and officers fail to ticket lane changes devoid of signal. Overall, traffic is the main detraction to this location. Grocery stores and restaurants are very close, but it seemed like nothing within walking distance was particular to Austin (chain restaurants and the general pub), and the ease of finding the hotel being due to proximity to the airport and highway meant walking anywhere in the area would not be easy.

If you are looking for a good deal and comfortable lodging for business, I would recommend this property. Low rates, clean facility, and competent staff make this a good choice when spending your company’s money. If you’re in the area for a family trip or for fun, I might seek something more closely situated to downtown and signature Austin restaurants and activities. Parking downtown is not difficult, but if you have to walk several blocks from parking to your destination, there are properties where you could do this without first driving downtown and paying for parking. Also, if you planned to bar hop, why not be able to walk or take a much cheaper cab ride? If you did stay at this hotel with family though, you would be pleased to find clean, working refrigerator and microwave appliances in the room. And the refrigerator is actually empty, allowing you to put things you bring into it.

Room Tip: This is really not a property with a view, so any room should be decent.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled on business

191 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Tampa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2012 via mobile

I am a frequent traveler and often stay at Hampton Inns. This one was clean, well staffed and even with a room right next to the elevator -was quiet. I had an overall good experienmce, the only complaint is internet speed was slow each time I signed into my computer or on my ipad. The day I arrived i was not feeling well so I was in the room most of the afternoon into the evening and I was repeatedly knocked off wifi while trying to stream video on Netflix or even NBC.com. I tried with my Ipad too and no dice. On day 2 - I called down to the desk to find out if something was up with the wifi, and was told there had been no issues, and that service was fully working, and if I needed a better signal I could come down to the lobby. In this day and age with everyone using their gadgets in the hotel, its expected the internet should be high speed, sustained access for all guests. I have never encountered this problem in a Hilton property before, so it was quite annoying.

Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
Conway, Arkansas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2012

I was here on a busy weekend but the room (6th floor) was quiet all the time. Everything was clean and worked; just what I’ve learned to expect from this chain. Check-in went smoothly and the staff was friendly and courteous. The breakfast area was kept clean and well-stocked on a busy Saturday morning and the room was cleaned quickly and quietly during the day.

Room Tip: It was very quiet on the 6th (top) floor
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
Kansas City, Missouri
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2012

Many other comparable hotels in the area to spend money with you...customer service stinks!!

First, we were put in a king room reserved for handicapped citizens. Whoever designed the hotel didn't consider the shower floor for any guest. Very European in design, however, the tiles were so large that anyone who showers on these tiles slip and slide and causes issue for agile guests; not to mention handicapped citizens.

Secondly, we requested a late check-out to be at 1:00 p.m. Communication between night manager and day manager didn't occur. I was bugged by the Maid, front desk clerk, and the walls were banged on "appearing to want me out" much earlier than the 1:00p.m. check-out.
I was lied to when I was told that my husband had turned in his key (which he never did)..that is why they were confused. WOW! Customer Service NOT!

You all must be proud of your hotel! Your customer service is lousy and we won't be back!!!!

Room Tip: Many other hotels in the area. Customer Service should be important again in America....We spend ou...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
dddaustinmgr, General Manager at Hampton Inn Austin/Airport Area South, responded to this review, May 29, 2012
Thank you for your comments following your stay with us, jc. I appreciate your review and sincerely apologize for any inconvenience we may have caused regarding your late check out request. Your experience has been addressed with the staff. We strive to exceed our guest’s expectations, improve our customer service and satisfy our guests every time. We are pleased when you are pleased. The next time you are in Austin we would love to have you back to experience an improved level of service. Thank you again for your comments.
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2012

I have stayed at this Hampton Inn several times in the last few months while dealing with a family matter. The rooms are comfortably furnished and well maintained. The lobby and breakfast area are pleasant, with a "homey" feel. The property has a very nice fitness room and a lovely outdoor pool. A guest laundry is available at the Homewood Suites across the parking lot, a real convenience when on an extended stay. The staff has been friendly and unfailingly helpful on my repeated visits, making me feel like a welcome and valued guest. As a woman traveling alone, this level of personal recognition and attention was much appreciated.

Room Tip: Rooms on the east side (odd-numbered rooms) are quieter.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
Midland, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2012 via mobile

We stayed here because my husband's company offered a good rate. It was much of what you would expect at a Hampton, nothing more, nothing less. Abut far from. downtown and located in the elbow of two freeways.

• Stayed May 2012
Alvin
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2012

I booked a handicapped assessable room weeks advance but arrived to find a booked hotel and my wife and I stuck with a room not intended for someone in a wheelchair. One hand assist in the bathroom and that was in the shower. Needless to say this was the worst hotel stay of out lives. When I complained I was told I should have called the hotel and not used the online service because it wasn't working as intended but that they were in the process of repairing it. So basically It was my fault. Thanks Hampton from making our anniversary one we will remember for a very long time. On the plus side the Hampton isn't the only hotel in Austin.

Room Tip: Don't use the online service.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
dddaustinmgr, Manager at Hampton Inn Austin/Airport Area South, responded to this review, April 19, 2012
Thank you, Mr. and Mrs. T. for staying with us and for your comments regarding accessibility. We understand how important complete and accurate room descriptions are when booking a reservation, particularly when going through a third party. Our full house during your stay further complicated the issue. We apologize for the inconvenience, and assure you we are addressing the room type description for those corner king rooms so that this will not create future disappointment and inconvenience for you and others choosing those rooms. We strive to pay close attention to special needs and requests, so that we not only deliver, but exceed expectations. Our staff has been alerted to the need to verify with the guest at check in, the need for accessibility so that those needs are met first and foremost, while we revise our descriptive for those specific rooms. Thank you again for taking time to let us know about your experience.

Been to Hampton Inn Austin/Airport Area South? Share your experiences!