“Great space” 4 of 5 stars

3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   500 East Highland Mall Blvd., Austin, TX 78752   |
Ranked #61 of 187 Hotels in Austin
“Great space”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2013

We loved our room. It was quite and large. It's an older building but kept up well. Lots of green plants. Great breakfast and friendly staff. The breakfast had so much to offer from hot food like pancakes and eggs to fresh fruit and cereal.

Stayed October 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (61)
  • Polish first
College Station, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2013

I booked at Habitat Suites because all the hotels downtown were full and this was near my daughters' apartment; my husband and I and our German friends (man and wife) were visiting them for the weekend. As we drove in, I was ready to be embarassed with my choice as it was right across from a huge mall! However, we turned into a tree-shaded, quiet enclave, went in to the front desk and were welcomed with an invitation to come to the happy hour (free drinks and snacks) from 5-7, and a description of "the best breakfast in town" (came with the room) in the morning -- when I said we were planning to have breakfast with my daughters, could we buy breakfast for them at the hotel, the front desk person said that my daughters were welcome to come to the hotel and eat with us -- Free! We went to our room-- 2 bedroom suite -- and it was clean, spacious and pleasant, with trees all around and parking right across from the door. I was tickled to find a Buddhist book of sayings in the drawer next to the Gideon bible. Happy hour was quiet and soothing, healthy snacks as well as typical snacks, with a request that one limits oneself to three drinks each! It was a very quiet night, even though it turned out to be a Football weekend (why all the other hotels I tried had been booked), the hotel has "quiet time" requested after 10 pm and before 9. Breakfast was as advertised -- a full meal with fruit and pastries and hot dishes cooked to order by a local family who is running the restaurant. Our family and guests loved the whole experience! And for about half what it would have cost us to stay in town. We are sold and will be back the next time we stay in Austin.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Myrtle Beach, South Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2013

Booked this hotel after reading reviews and it exceeded my expectations. It is a charming oasis in the city, with beautiful lush vegetation. The rooms could use some updating, but I would much rather stay in a place like this than a sterile chain hotel. The breakfast buffet was amazing, and they even have an evening reception with snacks and drinks. I wish we'd find more hidden treasures like this in our travels.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
St. Petersburg, Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2013

I was really excited about my very first visit to Austin, TX and equally excited to choose Habitat Suites as my home away from home. Let me start with the property is beautiful. The lush gardens, tranquil surroundings and organic produce~which I didn’t actually see~ that you can just pick off the tree made this an obvious choice. Front desk was pleasant and allowed me an early 1:30pm check in. When checking me in I stated that I know it is a lot to ask but can you try and find me a quiet room. The front desk agent went into this speech on how all of their rooms are quite and that they enforce a quiet time after 10pm. I said that was perfect, took my keys and off I went. The room I had was a ground floor which was nice; property does not have elevators and on a corner which I thought would also be nice. Furniture, stove, counter tops, carpet, draperies, bathroom fixtures and lack of lighting in the bathroom area all need to be updated or replaced but the size of the room was good and I could park my vehicle right in front of the room which I liked.
Here’s where the problems come in. The strip club SUGAR is right next door and is right next to the room I was put into. I’m not so prudish that I am troubled by being in close proximity to a strip joint. I do however have problem with noise. I come back from a late dinner in the downtown area and am all set to get ready for bed. Cars honking, and men hanging out in SUGAR’s parking lot yelling lewd comments continued on until 3:30 or 4am. Habitat Suites is not a 24 hour hotel and they do not have staff or a manager during the evening hours so when there really is an issue the only one that I can complain to is myself…..for booking here. Since they don’t have staff at night I also could not leave a wakeup call. Tried the “do it yourself” prompt on the phone. In room#1116 it does not work. So in the end I go NO sleep, no Wake up Call, No Breakfast and in the end I missed my flight and had to “standby” at the Austin airport for 10 hours. THANKS for NOTHING Habitat Suites!!!

Room Tip: Room 1116 is one of the Loudest rooms I've EVER stayed in~Right next to the strip club. AVOID IF...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
Odessa, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2013

We loved this hotel. This hotel isn't a average hotel. The staff is very nice, the rooms are great and the quiet hours are WONDERFUL. My husband and I enjoyed the swimming pool at night. We enjoyed the breakfast every morning and it was very good and quiet. We decided to stay an extra night and our room had already been reserved so we moved to another room. We really enjoyed our stay.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

Since our last stay in April things have improved greatly. There are now decent sized, functioning, flat panel TVs in both rooms and the bed and pillows were quite comfortable. We had a little problem with the shower not being clean the first day, but that was corrected immediately. The things we like about Habitat Suites remain the same; the lush grounds, the quiet location, the central A/C in the units, the full sized fridge and kitchenette, the daily breakfast and happy hours. It was a good stay and we'll definitely be back again while our daughter attends UT.

Room Tip: The rooms nearest the clubhouse and pool have the best WiFi connection.
Green Features: While I respect their policies, I wonder if they could find environmentally friendly 2-ply toilet paper.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Stroudsburg, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

This little delightful gem tucked away from the everyday noise of downtown Austin has lot's to offer you. Swimming pool and one of the best southern breakfast you can find in Texas. Be sure to say Hello to Mama she and her boys run the Kitchen and if your nice you may get to taste that homemade lemonade she has tucked away. The rooms are like apartments so you get that home away from home feeling at a very affordable price you can"t beat that. Rooms are clean beds are comfortable and the staff is always friendly.Things were always nice and kept around the property. Very family safe. Parking is great. If you like peace and quiet this place is for you. It's an awesome place that won't break the bank.

Room Tip: You can't go wrong with any room you choose. However, I preferred the corner room because I had...
Green Features: ENERGY STAR guest room appliances kept things cleaned and quiet.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Habitat Suites Hotel? Share your experiences!