“Good experience except for the mandatory valet parking” 4 of 5 stars

2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   300 E 11th Street, Austin, TX 78701   |
Ranked #120 of 187 Hotels in Austin
Houston, TX
1,730 helpful votes 1,730 helpful votes
“Good experience except for the mandatory valet parking”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2008

We ended up at the La Quinta Capitol after checking out early from the scary La Quinta Austin North (see my Tripadvisor review on that). Needless to say, we were extremely glad to be at the La Quinta Capitol by this point.

The La Quinta Capitol is well located on near the Texas State Capitol and has the feel of a "motor inn" (all the room doors face the outside). The main thing that bugged me though was that the ONLY parking option was valet parking at $12.99/night or metered hourly parking (clearly not a long term solution). I could perhaps understand if this was the Four Seasons or something, but it wasn't. I think this is just a sneaky way for the La Quinta Capitol to raise their room rates by $12.99 as by virtue of its location, no one is going to arrive here without a car!

That said, the lobby was spacious and clean. Our room was well furnished with modern trappings and we very much appreciated being able to bring our dog with us at no extra charge. There was a small pool near the driveway which was very enjoyable.

We did not eat the free breakfast but there were a lot of people in there the morning we left and from peering in the window, it looked like there was a large variety of food. The gym was tiny and worn with 1 treadmill, 1 bike, 1 elliptical, etc..

All in all, it was a nice experience except for the valet parking requirement.

• Liked — Good location near State Capitol
  • Disliked — The mandatory valet parking at $12.99/nt.
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
Chester, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2008

I stayed here on a business trip for one night. It was comfortable, with free internet access in the rooms.

Staff were friendly and helpful. My only wish was that breakfast was a bit better.

• Stayed June 2008, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Los Angeles, CA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2008

Austin can be a tough place to book an affordable hotel, especially when it seems like the whole town is booked up for an event. My friend and I came to town for 3 nights for a show, and having been to Austin before we knew that the La Quinta Inn was in a great location...walking distance to the Capitol, 6th Street, the Red River district, and a quick taxi ride to So. Congress. I wasn't sure what to expect based on previous reviews. When we arrived, we saw that the La Quinta had been spruced up a bit. We DID smell that funky smell, but only in the halls...like a really strong cleaning product. But it went away when we got in the room and turned on the air conditioning. The room looked to be freshly remodeled. Fresh paint, new bedding, new curtains and hard wood floors. They probably should have replaced the sink and tub during the remodel, but they were ok. Cons: The towels were very small and not very soft, and there was no fridge in the room. Oh, and in the morning you can hear EVERYONE in the adjoining rooms which is not good if you've been out on 6th street all night! All in all we had a pleasant stay, and all the employees we came across were very helpful and friendly.

• Liked — Great location, helpful employees, clean room, price more affordable than other hotels in the area.
  • Disliked — Towels small and not very soft, no refridgerator in room.
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled with friends
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Benicia, Ca
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2008

We chose this hotel because of the location & very reasonable room rates. Some of the rooms have doors that open to an outside walkway. Our room was in what is apparently the older part of the hotel. We entered our room from an interior hallway after using our card keys to open a security door. The ceilings in the hallway were VERY low - not a problem for us but it might be for someone tall. I'm only 5"4" tall & could touch the ceiling in the hallway! The hallway had a strange smell but our room didn't. Our room was newly remodeled. The bed was a little harder than I prefer but it was ok. The pillows were ok - there were 2 types to chose from. The sink/vanity were in the bathroom with the toilet & bathtub/shower. The room had lots of light. The window in our room just looked out at the center of the hotel - the window was very dirty - it seemed like they hadn't cleaned the windows after doing the remodeling. The continental breakfast was ok. The hotel has valet parking - since we didn't have a car, I can't comment on how efficent that is.

We like to walk and were able to get whereever we wanted to go by foot or on the free Dillo trolleys. The hotel is located near the Capitol & a lot of state & business buildings - it is a very quiet & isolated area after business hours - not even many cars on the street. It didn't seem unsafe when we walked back to the hotel as late as 10 p.m. but it might be a concern for some travelers who don't have cars. There are no restaurants in the immediate area.

If I ever go to Austin again, I'd probably stay in a more expensive area closer to restaurants & nightlife - but I think La Quinta is a good option for a budget traveler.

• Stayed March 2008, traveled with friends
Denver
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2008

I stayed at this hotel for almost $800 for three days and two nights for Austin City Limits. Do NOT stay here. Pay the extra money for another hotel. Our room smelled extremely funny, so bad I couldn't sleep. Plus, the sheets and comforter were DIRTY, gross! I had an opportunity to stay up the street for an additional $200 and didn't take it because I thought this was a better bargain. Boy, was I wrong.

• Stayed September 2007, traveled with friends
United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2008

Knock off another $40 and it would be okay. Incredibly noisy. Between the traffic and the rattle of suitcases echoing along concrete walkways I was hardly able to sleep. Also, my room had a hole above the bathtub where water was leaking from the upstairs bathroom.

They did switch my room, and the staff was curteous. Overall though, not a great place to stay.

• Liked — It was close to where I needed to be.
  • Disliked — Noise.
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2007

The overwhelming memory of my stay is the overpowering air freshener smell in my room that lasted all three nights. I presume that it was to disguise the odor of an earlier smoking customer. The room layout is poor - the only window on the room is adjacent to the door so at night you can't leave the curtains open if you want privacy from every person walking along the exterior corridor.

The room was clean however and facilities worked ok. The inclusive breakfast was pretty poor on a few counts. The orange juice from an automatic dispenser was the worst OJ I can ever recall sampling. There was no real butter for the toast, only some sort of half-butter spread. In fact I didn't bother with their breakfast after the first morning - there is a cafe a couple of blocks away on Congress.

Location is convenient for downtown Austin.

Would I stay there again? Only after trying hard to find somewhere else.

• Stayed October 2007
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to La Quinta Inn & Suites Austin Capitol? Share your experiences!