“Extremely disappointed” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #120 of 182 hotels in Austin
Austin, Texas
“Extremely disappointed”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2013

We chose this hotel for its close proximity to UT Austin and the Capitol. We stayed 2 nights, and the $160 per night price we paid over UT's graduation weekend was the "best price" we could find for the area, booked many months prior. At that price we weren't expecting much more than the basics, but we were disappointed even in that. Our nonsmoking room smelled of cigarette smoke. The rooms we booked (2 double beds) felt old and dingy and in no way resembled the bright rooms shown in photos on the hotel website. We could see daylight through the top and bottom of the door when the door was closed. It was not possible in our room to keep the air conditioner fan on constantly using the high, low, or auto fan settings. When the fan clicked off, you heard everything going on outside of the room, including all the activity at the valet station and in adjoining rooms. As a result, we didn't get good sleep either night of our stay. We returned to the room at 4 pm during our first and only full day in the room and had to call the front desk to request housekeeping to clean our room and replace some towels. My in-laws, who were staying a few doors down from us, had to do the same. We did not use the valet parking, as one of the attendants in the valet area appeared stoned when we asked for directions. Maybe he was, maybe he wasn't, but we decided to follow our gut after taking in the general feel of this hotel.
On the pro side: The front desk staff seemed friendly. The beds were comfortable enough, and the shower strength was good. The breakfast foods and coffee served in the morning were just okay.
Anywhere else, I would expect to pay no more than $75 dollars per night or so for this quality of hotel. From my first step onto the property, I regretted my decision to stay here, and I'd wished I'd spent more to stay in a more pleasant place.

Room Tip: Choose a higher quality hotel in downtown Austin.

253 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
Houston
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2013

The obviously doctored "pro" photos of this property property would lead you to believe it a colorful, bright place, with a bit of a southwestern flair. It is old, dark, cramped and gloomy. The room with 2 double beds is very small, with old carpeting barely above (or not) indoor-outdoor grade. Wifi did not work at all. Pillows are of the $2, lumpy, hard fiberfill variety. Parking is valet only at $13 per night. One night, after taxes and valet was nearly $200. The only advantage this hotel offers is proximity to the Capitol complex (in case you have business with the State) and downtown. Nothing else recommends it. Stay here ONLY if you have no other choice.

Room Tip: Chose a different hotel.
Denver, Colorado
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2013

My husband and I stayed here for a wedding, although the location is fantastic and close to everything, the hotel is seriously outdated. Looking back on it, we wished we would have payed a little more to stay somewhere nicer. Some of my complaints were how noisy the hotel itself was, you could literally hear everything outside and the air conditioner unit didn't allow you to keep it on constantly, which was unpleasant, because it was literally the only thing that shut out all the noise from outside. The room itself was very dated and we had to call twice for anyone to come and clean our room and replenish the towels. I've stayed at La Quintas before and this is honestly the first time I've ever felt the need to complain about one of their locations. I feel like they have such a great location and they could do so much more with the hotel, but this is crap and the prices for what you get are crap. I don't think I will ever bother staying at another La Quinta again.

Room Tip: Pay a little more and stay somewhere else, you won't regret it.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with La Quinta

Houston, Texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2013

- My AC was extremely loud. I called about it and they fixed it pretty quickly. so kudos for that.
-However, this left a big dirty mess on my bed. I called about it and they said there was nothing they could do because housekeeping was gone. Since they fixed my AC problem and the maintenance guy was diligent and nice, I was willing to forgive this.
-I was there on business, and needed to print out two pages. This was impossible. No business desk. Guy at front desk was polite, but completely unyielding about printing a couple pages out for me just as a favor, even after I went driving around Austin looking for a place to print but everything was closed. Incidentally, the nice people at the Sheraton next door did this favor for me even though I was not a guest there.
-Somewhere around 6 a.m., hotel staff knocked incessantly on the door, waking up my baby, and not even saying they were staff. When I asked who it was, they said they were looking for the guy with the plumbing problem. REALLY?! So you go around knocking on random doors to find this person?!
-Very narrow outdoor hallways make it difficult to get around if you have a lot of things. On two occasions housekeeping carts were blocking the hallways (one time I had a luggage cart and the second time, a stroller) and on both occasions I eventually had to go into the room they were cleaning to find housekeeper and get her to move it.
-As a business trip I had a third party paying for my stay. This party called in payment and faxed verification form. When I went to check out at the front desk, there was apparently no record of this and it all had to be done over again. Ugh!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Austin, Texas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2013

We choose La Quinta for their pet-friendly poilcy. Unfortunately the management at this particular location allowed a huge block of rooms to go to a Harley Davidson group that showed no respect to other guests. Cycles were returning as late as 1am and they lined up to rev. their engines and blast their music at 8am. We cancelled our next night and got out of Dodge. Very disappointing... no more La Quintas.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family

Been to La Quinta Inn & Suites Austin Capitol? Share your experiences!