“Don't Go Thinking You're Going to a Classic Zoo” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #47 of 143 Attractions in Austin
Type: Nature/ Wildlife Areas, Zoos & Aquariums
Activities: Leisure education, Hiking
More attraction details
Owner description: Zoo in Austin featuring many animals.
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
9 attraction reviews
“Don't Go Thinking You're Going to a Classic Zoo”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2009

The name "Zoo" is quite misleading. This really is just a sanctuary for rescued animals. The zoo itself is very small and casual. The cages are from a time when animals where thrown into cramped spaces - not at all in step with modern zoo design. The "zoo" does offer the big name attractions likes lions, tigers, leopards, bears and monkeys. Not to mention tons of goats, sheep and other barnyard animals.

It is an $8 admission which seemed a bit high. None of the outdoor food vendors were open and most of the animals were sleeping or otherwise where you couldn't see them.

If you insist on visiting this 'zoo' I recommend doing so when the weather is cool so maybe the animals will be active.

We really had no desire to return and could have lived without it.

Texas
“I loved it. It's small, not crowded and peaceful.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2009

This zoo is very peaceful and does not have the crowds you find at most zoos. It's not a huge zoo like you would find in most very large cities but that is what makes it special. You aren't worn out and don't spend a fortune. They have a great petting zoo and you can get closer to the animals than you can at most zoos. It was inexpensive and a great day for my family.

Waco
“DON'T GO!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2009

Worst zoo I have ever been too, the poor Puma had no water to bathe in and it was 102.....total crap........find something else to do in Austin, we drove from Hewitt Tx, I had a better time in Temple at the RoadHouse....

Waco,TX
“The worst zoo in Texas that i've seen so far.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2009

So well my boyfriend he works six days a week so on Sunday his only day off he likes to go somewhere and well we live in Waco, TX, and well we've done been everywhere here so we go out town and take little road trips to explore you know and well I have two daughters so we decided to go to a different zoo and we chose Austin Zoo and boy were we disappointed, it was not worth the drive. My boyfriend always has this phrase that he uses when he feels he got ripped off and it goes like this "well it's cool I liked getting ripped in the butth***." No really this trip was by far the worst and I wouldn't recommend it. The parking lot is just gravel and dirt road no pavement. The trail to walk around the zoo is also gravel and rocks and the animals looked miserable and they were all asleep.The whole zoo looked like a petting zoo, nothing more. For this to be the capitol of Texas zoo it was not GOOD at all. I was ashamed to call that the Capitol's ZOO.My daughter is 6 and she didn't have fun. The gift shop didn't have anything when I go places I always take a souvenir, but they didn't even have any...except for little animal toys like toy soldier figures except they were animals.. I can almost guarantee the Waco Zoo to be100 times better, it even has the snake sanctuary and the fish aquariums as to where Austin didn't. So it was way not worth the drive.. My kids would rather keep going to our ZOO over and over..

Yours Truly,
Christina and Steven from Waco, TX

Houston
“nice experience in Austin Zoo”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2009

I went to the zoo with my girlfriend on valentines week of 2009. it was a great experience. they are taking well care of the animals there. i saw animals i never expected to see there, like tigers, lions and the black panther. that was amazing.
they have alot of farm animals, birds, goats, fat pigs, even monkeys ... atc.
the place worths visiting.

plus they have a train tour to the wild around the place, where you basically dont see anything special.

admission fee is 7$/person
parking is available

Been to Austin Zoo? Share your experiences!

If you own or manage Austin Zoo, register now for free tools to enhance your listing, attract new reviews, and respond to reviewers.