“AWEFUL DO NOT STAY HERE!!!!!” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Americas Best Value Inn

Save Saved
You added Americas Best Value Inn to your Saves list
Americas Best Value Inn
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   716 E Tyler St, Athens, TX 75751 (Formerly Spanish Trace Inn)   |
Ranked #4 of 8 Hotels in Athens
Houston,
“AWEFUL DO NOT STAY HERE!!!!!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2010

I recently booked a trip to Canton and made reservations through "Priceline" to stay at the Americas Best Value Inn in Athens, TX. Not only would I warn people about staying here, I will also encourage you to never book through Priceline. I believe they have the same values and are both only out for money it is no longer about customer statisfaction!
I am 7 months pregnant and was traveling with a friend of mine. Upon arriving at the hotel we were approached by several people off of the streets asking for money, and when we replied that we did not have any they proceeded to comment on the vehilce we were in. Once in the hotel the front side of the lobby is a club and the entire place smells of cigarette smoke. The music is so loud you can hear it from outside, however the manager will tell you that you will not be able to hear the music or smell the smoke once you are in your room. Also in the lobby we met a few other women traveling to Canton also who said there were no locks on the doors and apparently someone had tried to break into their room. The attendant at the front desk took around 30 minutes before he would wait on us, which in the meantime another gentleman walked in from off the street and asked for a room. My friend and I explained that we did not work there and he proceeded to tell us that he did not care if we worked there or not he wanted a room. When the attendant came back I asked him if there was any way for me to get a refund because we did not feel safe in this motel,he said it was not his decision to refund our money and we would have to deal with Priceline directly because he could not see any issues with the accommodations. Monday morning I called priceline and explained to them in detail the happenings of that evening on why we did not stay and why I believed I should receive a full refund. I received an email from the customer service department 2 days later with there decision which was there was no reason for us not to have stayed and they see this as a perfectly safe enviornment. In order to receive a refund we would have had to go into our room see there was not a security lock and have someone break into the room. Also they had contacted the motel and the managers response was my friend and I were being difficult to have not wanted to stay!! I would not recommend that ANYONE stay in this motel, if you like your safety!

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with friends
Management1700, Regional Director at Americas Best Value Inn, responded to this review, August 19, 2011
Dear Valued Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback regarding your stay at our property. We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience you felt you experienced with us. There is never an excuse for providing anything less than great service. All claims against this property will be further investigated and corrected where necessary. We hope you will give us another opportunity to service your future lodging needs
Management

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Hot Springs Village, Arkansas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2010

This place is old and in a horrible state of repair. Light bulbs missing/ burned out, elec. outlets not working, lamps unplugged, carpet old and frayed, black mold & used bloody bandaid in bathroom, linens so old and shabby and that we were not sure if they were clean and they kept sliding off the bed. Pool is a true health hazard which I have reported to the Health Dept. Breakfast is a joke - I wouldn't have touched that food, what there was of it, with a ten-foot pole.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
Dear Valued Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to share a review about our hotel. We sincerely apologize about the
negative experiences you had with your guest room and the continental breakfast. We believe we have corrected the matters which will enhance the overall experience at our hotel. We hope you will give us another opportunity to serve you
Management
Texarkana, Arkansas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2010

This was the dirtest, most damaged hotel I have ever stayed in! Non-flushing commodes, dirty sheets, holes in the wall and floors! People given the keys to rooms we had not checked out of yet. I could write a book, but I think you get my drift! Sleeping in your car would be better than spending a dime on this place!

• Stayed January 2010, traveled on business
abviathenstx, Webmaster at Americas Best Value Inn, responded to this review, August 25, 2011
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing to stay at the Americas Best Value Inn during your recent visit to our area.

Thank you for taking the time to give us a review. These reviews are one of our best tools in seeing to it that the high standards which we set for our establishment are being maintained.

Upon receipt of your review, the following steps were taken:

• The housekeeping staff received extra training in the level of cleanliness which is required of them as our employees.

• The maintenance staff was instructed to see to it that the toilets are all in proper working order and that the holes in the walls and floors are repaired. They also received extra training in the way they are to maintain the premises.

• Management and reception staff received extra training in making sure that rooms are vacated and cleaned before reassigning them to new guests.

I hope that the next time you visit in our area you will once again choose to stay at the Americas Best Value Inn. I think you will be greatly pleased.

Strawn, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2009

It was clean and comfortable, good for a nights sleep.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

I’m glad that you found our establishment to be a good choice for your visit and that you had a good night’s sleep.

I hope that the next time you are in our area you will once again choose to stay at the Americas Best Value Inn. I think you will be very pleased.

louisville
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2008

I guess the best thing i could say about this hotel, was the clerk at the front desk was very nice. Upon arriving at the room ,sitting at my door was a couple bags of garbage and overflowing trash that for some reason never made it to a dumpster. I also noticed the room next to mines door had a padlock on it. Those 2 things were definitely bad signs upon top of my daughter screaming because she told me she say a rodent run along side of our door while i was attempting to unlock it. This was enough for me. I immediately went back to the front desk ,explained the condition of their facility was less than what i was accustomed to and left. Im glad id only booked one night here and the remainders at the hampton. I booked this thru sky auction. Id advised no one else to do the same. What a waste of my time and money

• Liked — upon entering lobby seemed to be friendly and clean
  • Disliked — needs to be updated and staff needs to be sure housekeeping and groundskeeper complete their jobs before leaving for the day
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing the Americas Best Value Inn for your recent stay while visiting in our area. I’m sorry that it didn’t work out.

I’m glad that you found the clerk at the front desk to be friendly and nice. This is what is expected of our employees, but always nice to hear.

Upon receipt of your review, the following steps were taken:

• The maintenance staff was instructed to look into the matter of rodents and see to it that they are exterminated.

• The maintenance staff received additional training in seeing to it that garbage etc is removed promptly.

• Housekeeping staff received additional training in the level of cleanliness required of them as our employees.

A TripAdvisor Member
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2004

I stayed at the Spanish Trace Inn October 1-3, 2004 for First Monday Trade Days. One of the reasons I chose the Inn was based on another review that mentioned the "great restaurant", however, because they lost their chef, the restaurant was closed for business. The room was a little old and worn, however it was clean and the pillows were nice, unlike the flat, lifeless ones you usually get. On the first night the air conditioning system knocked and ticked all night. I reported it the next morning and by the time I returned to the room that evening, a completely new unit had been installed. If you're towing a trailer or boat, you're going to have a problem parking. This hotel has a bar and club that fills up on Friday and Saturday night. I had to park my U-Haul illegally until 1 am. Once the bar closed, parking space became available, but I didn't appreciate having to get up at 1 am to move it to a safe place. There was also a billling problem that came up a few weeks after my stay. When I called the hotel, they took my phone number and promised a call back. Within minutes they had researched and found the problem and issued a credit to my card. I would recommend this hotel for Canton weekend.

Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing the Americas Best Value Inn for your recent stay in our area.

I am sorry that your looked for visit to our restaurant didn’t work out. We do take great pride in the quality of our restaurant and hope that you get to experience it at some time in the future.

I am sorry that you experienced a billing problem but so glad to know that it was settled so quickly for you.

Upon receipt of your review the following step was taken:

• Management and security were consulted about finding a way to see to it that all guests are given proper parking places where their vehicles are safe and the guests are not required to get up in the middle of the night to move them.

I hope that the next time you are visiting in our area you will once again choose to stay at the Americas Best Value Inn. I think you will be very pleased.

Hotel Manager.

Been to Americas Best Value Inn? Share your experiences!