“Add this one to my list of places I'll never stay at again.” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Americas Best Value Inn

Save Saved
You added Americas Best Value Inn to your Saves list
Americas Best Value Inn
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   716 E Tyler St, Athens, TX 75751 (Formerly Spanish Trace Inn)   |
Ranked #4 of 8 Hotels in Athens
Houston, Texas
“Add this one to my list of places I'll never stay at again.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2014

I never comment, but where to start?

I also had experienced the receiving of other people's credit card and driver's license information on the back of my motel map and they never could print me out a receipt. Both completely unacceptable!

The lack of simple maintenance was apparent all over the property. Cigarette butts everywhere. Actually the smell of cigarette smoke was everywhere on the property including my so-called non-smoking room with ash trays. Just trying to check in our first room had no power and when maintenance came to the room, he wasn't able to restore as the breaker kept tripping. He said he even held it the breaker on for a while, but then got a shock back! Hmmm... doesn't sound like he's aware of the danger of electricity and why we have circuit breakers! So my room comments below are about the 2nd room we were given.

Also their online reservation system is not synced up to their reservation system so although I purchased a non-smoking room they could not guarantee a non-smoking room when I checked in.

Towels were small and scratchy and had blood stains on them. There was a dark brown stains on the bathroom wall. More dried blood? I really didn't want to know enough to investigate, but I'm pretty sure it wasn't chocolate pudding and not a single thing in that room had brown paint on it. Not sure what was going on in the bathroom, but the light over the vanity was a single bare long fluorescent bulb with no cover. Looks like they updated the sink to be granite top, but lack any caulking in the misaligned splash surround. I'm average height and had to bend over to wet my hair in the shower. We didn't have a trash can anywhere in the room unless you count the detergent box in the corner of the bedroom area. We didn't bother to turn the small tube TV in room.

The pool side furniture had paint flaking off and it was rusting, so you get paint flecks and rust on your clothes if you sit on it. Planter in ground next to pool is full of weeds - all weeds.

After dark the pool was closed. We were told they couldn't turn on the pool light because there is a short in the underwater light and they would have to dig through feet of concrete to fix the short... and it had been that way for years... they aren't planning to spend the money to fix it anytime soon.

The feral cats on the property had obvious scabs and were suffering from bugs, but they love to rub up on you!

I see management trying to *respond* to comments here, but talk is cheap. They have no plans to fix or address the issues according to staff we talked with. And the condition of the property has been that way for years.

Breakfast is a fail -- 2 kinds of cereal and bananas. We never saw any milk, so we went to a local café for breakfast.

Scuba gear was stolen out of the back of a truck the evening before even though they have cameras everywhere but the resolution can't help in identifying anyone unless someone operates the zoom and no one is monitoring.

So what did work? Beds were OK and we had hot water. Toiletries are minimal - shampoo in tear packets and mini bars of soap. No luxury here.

Room Tip: Don't stay here.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
abviathenstx, Webmaster at Americas Best Value Inn, responded to this review, 3 weeks ago
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing Americas Best Value Inn Athens for your recent stay in our area. I am glad that you like the location.

• Housekeeping was instructed to eliminate the Cigarette smell and Cigarette butts in the first room assign to you. Check the room before accommodating our valued guests.
• Maintenance was informed of the pool light which was not working during night. They inform o check and solve the problem ASAP.
• Breakfast staff was informing to change the variety if possible.
• I am glad that you find our bed comfortable.

I hope that the next time you visit our area; you will once again choose to stay at Americas Best Value Inn Athens. We look forward to welcoming you back.

Hotel Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
League City, Texas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2014

We stayed here for only one night, and won't be back. I'm not normally a "complainer," and generally find the good in a given place. Unfortunately, this place didn't have any good points. After reading previous reviews, we didn't want to stay here, but all the other hotels in the area were booked.

One of our biggest concerns was a complete lack of common sense. Their hotel maps are apparently printed on paper they recycled from the printer. After checking in, we happened to flip this map over to see if there was additional local info. To our shock, we found what appeared to be a summary of rooms from a very recent day. On this summary were personal data including names, dates of birth and driver's license numbers! Both my wife and I, as well as others traveling with us and staying in different rooms, saw the same thing on their maps! I will be calling the corporate office about such a breach of information.

The pool is available during the day, but management informed us no swimming after dark was allowed due to the pool lights being out of order. "There is a bad short, we think, and we don't want anyone injured. We don't know when we'll be able to have this fixed."

I would advise anyone to book anywhere else but here.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
abviathenstx, Webmaster at Americas Best Value Inn, responded to this review, June 26, 2014
Dear Guest,

• Management was informed about the your map comment and instructed to look into matter.

• Maintenance was informed of the non-working Lights in Pool Area and instructed to see to its repair or replacement.

I hope that the next time you visit our area, you will once again choose to stay at Americas Best Value Inn Athens. We look forward to welcoming you back.

Arlington, Texas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2014

June 6th 2014. Lobby front doors were so dirty, smell in the lobby and rooms. Breakfast area had cats running every where. I would not recommend this place to anyone. Will never stay there again. Bad!

Room Tip: I don't think you could find a good room in this hotel.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Dear Guest,

• Breakfast staff received additional training in arranging the Breakfast and make sure that there were no cats or any kind of pet animals in this area.

2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2014 via mobile

Its not all horrible i am staying here tonite cus Ihave already paid but going somewhere else tomorow breakfest is just cold cereal and toast that's it my room is infested with water bugs we have already had to kill so many I can't even count the front deskservice is the best part they are very nice but Ijust can't get over the bugs!

• Stayed June 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing Americas Best Value Inn athens for your recent stay in our area. I am glad that you like the location.

• Breakfast staff received additional training in arranging the Breakfast and widening the variety.

• Maintenance was informed of your report of Water bugs and instructed to look into the matter and see to any needed extermination.

• Front desk staff was informed about your nice comment you made and received our commendation.

I hope that the next time you visit our area, you will once again choose to stay at Americas Best Value Inn athens. We look forward to welcoming you back.

Fulshear, Texas, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2013

I truly did not know hotels this awful existed. We were with a group and had 3 rooms booked. Where do I begin...it was dirty, the lobby smelled like cigarettes, there were many bugs in the bathrooms, the rooms smelled like cat urine, the beds had stains on them. After arriving late in the evening and no other hotels available we had no choice but to stay our first night. We changed rooms, the others were just as bad. One of our rooms the exterior door would not lock and we had to wedge a chair under the knob. The sheets were dirty, we made a Walmart run and bought towels and blankets. The hotel was at half capacity but only had enough towels for one towel per room, not to mention the towels looked dirty as well so we just bought some. After a sleepless night we shower and dress, only to loose power from plugging our hairdryers in. The owner apparently lives in the building (gross) and came to turn the electricity back on BAREFOOTED. Don't get me started on the 'breakfast buffet'. Needless to say, we dig not stay the second night. We drove all the way home the next night after shopping all day in Canton. DO NOT STAY HERE. The one dot is too many for this rating...

Room Tip: GO somewhere else.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
abviathenstx, Webmaster at Americas Best Value Inn, responded to this review, June 3, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing Americas Best Value Inn Athens TX for your recent stay in our area. I am sorry that things did not work out as you had anticipated.

• Maintenance was informed of your report of bugs and instructed to look into the matter and see to their complete extermination.
• Housekeeping received additional training regarding the level of cleanliness required of them as our employees.
• Maintenance was informed of the problem you had with the Towels and Sheet for the room assigned to you and instructed to look into the matter.

I hope that the next time you visit our area; you will once again choose to stay at Americas Best Value Inn Athens. We take our guest reviews very seriously, and I think you will be greatly pleased.

Houston, Texas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2013

I cannot even begin to capture in words how truly horrible our experience was in this hotel. We were booked for two nights and the only positive thing I can say is that they didn't charge us for the second night...when we cancelled after staying the 1st night!

There were 11 of us...taking a girl's trip to Canton. 3 rooms. None of the rooms were even close to satisfactory.

Bugs, both dead and alive. Cigarette smoke smell throughout the entire hotel. Air conditioning did not cool. Lock on door was broken. (BTW - rooms had two exterior doors, a window and a door between it and the adjoining room...didn't make us feel very safe.)

We slept with the lights on, because of the bugs.

We debated sleeping in our car, but weren't sure of the safety of the neighborhood.

We went to the front desk to get more towels and were told that they didn't have extra because out of the 80 rooms, 41 were occupied. Huh? So they only had two towels per room...for 1/2 of their rooms? He eventually produced a few more towels, but by that time several in our group bought towels, pillows and blankets at Walmart.

I could literally go on and on about the hotel, but the bottom line is...don't stay here.

Room Tip: Don't go.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing Americas Best Value Inn Athens, TX for your recent stay in our area.

• Maintenance was approached about finding a way to stop the cigarette smoke from entering the non-smoking rooms.
• Maintenance was informed of the Room Lock and A.C in the room assigned to you and instructed to see to its repair.
• Management was approached about the possibility of upgrading the towels and linens.

I hope that the next time you visit our area, you will once
Regards

League City, Texas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2013

Old and run down. Rooms were very hot as air conditioners were not on so it was a long time before room cooled down. The hotel smelled like smoke even though my room was non smoking. The breakfast was cereal only that had ants crawling all over it and they had ran out of milk. It was disgusting!!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your attempt to stay at Americas Best Value Inn Athens, TX during your recent stay in our area.

• Maintenance was informed of your report of the Air conditioners and instructed to see to its repair or replacement.
• Breakfast staff received additional training in presenting a proper breakfast, having the area properly maintained and ready to open at the time designated.

We do take our guests’ reviews seriously and I hope that things will change so that the next time you visit our area, you will feel secure in staying at Americas Best Value Inn Athens, TX. We look forward to welcoming you.

Hotel Owner

Been to Americas Best Value Inn? Share your experiences!