“Redemption for the Saltgrass name” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Steakhouse
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Moore, Oklahoma
“Redemption for the Saltgrass name”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2013

Positives: Good food, large portions, comfy and casual
Negatives: Too much service, pricey

Saltgrass Steakhouse is one of those restaurant chains we have heard great things about...but our experiences have never lived up to others' descriptions. That was before we visited this location.

Given our previous experiences we weren't too keen on eating lunch here. But we both wanted steak and this was the only steakhouse we found open at two in the afternoon.

Location and Parking -

Located just east of The Parks at Arlington mall, on the north I-20 frontage road, this restaurant is pretty easy to reach by Dallas standards. You can see it easily from I-20.

Because we visited after traditional lunch hours, parking was no problem. The restaurant lot did seem small for the size of building but there's a lot of space in the "common area" surrounding their property.

Menu and Food -

We ordered from the lunch menu, but still paid over $30.00 for the meal. Unlike our previous experiences at other Saltgrass stores in different cities, this time the food and service were worth the price.

Our server quickly brought a small loaf of what appeared to be a honey-wheat bread. I'm not a huge fan of whole wheat but this bread was good!

My wife ordered a sirloin with mashed potatoes. I picked steak with grilled shrimp and a side of rice pilaf. Both came with a crisp and cool dinner salad.

Our entrees were well-prepared and portions were large. We took sizeable sections with us. Both steaks had good flavor...we've had a couple that were better at other restaurants and many that were not as good. They were by far the best tasted at a Saltgrass.

Service -

We never lacked attention. In fact our server was sometimes a little too eager, to the point of being a nuisance. He was very quick to take dishes away, sometimes before we were finished with them. (This is the first review I've commented about "too much service"!)

Additionally, a couple of managers dropped by the table to inquire about our condition and bring more bread. Altogether we were visited over a dozen times. It almost seemed like they were spying!

Everyone from the greeter to the managers was courteous to a fault. They seemed genuinely interested in promoting a good experience.

The Bottom Line -

We're glad to have finally visited a Saltgrass Steakhouse that lived up to their reputation. Our visit was generally pleasant, despite frequent visits by staff members. The meal was a decent value given portion sizes, but at even at reduced mid-day prices, 30+ dollars is a "splurge" meal. We'd return again, probably at lunch, if given the opportunity.

• Visited March 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

“Great service, mediocre food”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2013 via mobile

The service here was outstanding. There was not one person that wasn't courteous and professional. I've never seen service this great. My 10 year old daughter even commented on the manners of the staff.

Too bad the food wasn't good.
Filled us up but that's about it, nothing to really comment on. We ordered steaks, potato soups, mac and cheese and chicken tenders. I found it odd that they served the food one plate at a time. Brought my daughters food out, a few minutes later the next plate came, so on and so fourth.

I ordered a frozen swirled margarita. I have never sent an alcoholic beverage back. I can't say that anymore. This drink was NASTY! The drink came from a machine so I suppose all drinks produced from this machine are gross for whatever reason.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Altus, Oklahoma
“Visiting from Oklahoma”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2013

My family and I called in advance for a reservation for a party of 10. When we were greeted at the door we were immediately sat at our table. Our server was wonderful and so was the food!! The filet was delish and the chocolate cake was HUGE!!!! We will be coming back when we are in town again!!

• Visited March 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Arlington, Texas
“Steak and Texans”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2013

To find a good steak house in Texas is very easy. But to be a good one, takes some doing. We Texans are very picky about our steak and Saltgrass does a decent job of serving up good steak. The side items are excellent and though this is not my favorite place to eat, the yeast rolls are worth the trip.

Visited April 2012
Houston
“Good meat, pathetic service”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2013

So I go with a colleague, we get a 3 minute speech from the waiter introducing himself, which is OK, we ordered the meal with a special side (sliced jalapenos), the waiter disappears. After that, a string of waiters would go pass our table dropping plates (first the starter, then the salads, finally the entree) without even stopping or looking at us. The jalapenos don't show, and when we try to get hold of any of them, they all walk through the room looking to the horizon like zombies avoiding eye contact with the clients (us and any other). eventually after a loud Hey! the original waiter gets back, we ask for the jalapenos and apologizes that he forgot all about. A full one piece jalapeno is delivered a while later by a third person. After we finished dinner, same treatment for the ticket. Eventually, a guy from the kitchen sees us waiving at the zombies, and gestures (we are thankful to him) to one of the waiters to show up at our table. We eventually got the check and paid. Now, it looked like everyone was getting the same treatment. The reader of this review will think that we looked like odd clients (say, dressed like pimps and holding hands at the table), thus were ignored by the waiters in a effort for us to leave, but we are just normal professional dull looking technical people having dinner after delivering a presentation for a company. I'm crossing these branch of the restaurant from my places to go. Meat was OK, in fact was very good, but the service totally wasted the experience.

• Visited February 2013