“Have an open mind” 5 of 5 stars

Menu
Improve this listing
Ranked #11 of 681 restaurants in Arlington
Cuisines: Eclectic
Description: Local and fresh ingredients highlighted. Different menu daily, based on available local market. Fabulous food. Small place. Come early or risk missing a taste of everything. It's a "pay what you think it's worth" kind of place. Recent visit, there was slow-braised beef, couscous with fresh herbs and lemon, mushroom and gruyere quiche, roasted root vegetables, and a killer beet and sweet potato soup. Delicious!
Arlington, Texas
“Have an open mind”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2012

I love this place and visit often. It's like eating in your grandmother's kitchen. Absolutely nothing matches and everything looks like it came from a thrift store long ago, but that's part of the charm. I love watching the chef (wearing a flowered dress, an old apron and a hair net) roll out a pie crust with a rolling pin on an old table, put fresh blackberries in it, fold the crust over and brush it with butter and a perfectly bubbling Galette come out of the old oven.

There's a chalkboard with the daily menu posted. The tableware, tea and water are all self-serve. You tell the person behind the counter what you'd like eat. I always get a sampler which is a small amount of everything. I've found that even if I don't like beets or whatever, I might try their dish and actually like it. I love that they ask you to take what you think you can actually eat, but no more and you can always go back for seconds. My experience is that seconds are rarely needed, even though the portions are considered "small" by typical restaurant standards. To me, the trade off is great tasting, healthy, authentic and locally grown food without preservatives, processing or a microwave involved in making it.

Every person that I've taken to this place has loved it, with many of them now being regulars. Even the pickiest of them love it. Most just wish it wasn't in Arlington, because they can't get there often enough. It's not a place you'd take children of any age if they are very picky or teenagers that eat huge amounts of food. I have seen families there quite a bit, but could tell that the kids were used to it.

Lastly, take a bottle of wine, share it with the group at the table next to you and enjoy the meal along with an occasional live artist. Love it!

• Visited October 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

90% Recommend
Fort Worth, Texas
“Healthy delicious food at our favorite restaurant!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

Food preparation overseen by Chef Cynthia. Different menu each time you go listed on blackboard. Ask for which dishes you want and how much you want and pay accordingly what seems fair for your choice of entrees. Enjoy the informal atmosphere sometimes with live local guitarist strumming and singing while you dine. My husband and I have often eaten at Potagers as a couple. We made arrangements to celebrate our son's college graduation there as a family, too.

• Visited May 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Dallas
“Weird, but good.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

The food was excellent. Seating was sparse, but we did find a seat. My kids weren't too excited about trying things that they have never seen, but my wife and I enjoyed it. You only have to pay what you think it is worth. Pretty cool. I figured that would attract hobos, but nope. I didn't see any. Hippies were everywhere, but no hobos.

Visited May 2012
Arlington, Texas
“Interesting concept”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2012

This restaurant is an interesting concept that you only pay what you think it's worth. However, they do post a list of "suggested amount" near the ordering counter. You push your money into a watering can. It's worth trying out but it's not a place that you'd take a first date or starving teenagers. I went with my family and they found the portions to be very small. (I will allow that we are all used to the overly-huge portion sizes.) The ambiance is very eclectic. While we didn't have a negative experience at all, I don't think we'll go back.

• Visited May 2012