“Awful!!!!” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Jamaica Gates Caribbean Cuisine

Jamaica Gates Caribbean Cuisine
1020 W. Arkansas (SW corner of Cooper and Arkansas) Arlington, Texas 76013, Arlington, TX
(817) 795-2600
Dining options: Late Night
Dining options: Late Night
“Awful!!!!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2012 via mobile

I expected to taste authentic Jamaican food. We waited 45 mins for our food because it was busy. The oxtails didn't have any seasoning and the food was dry. I will not be coming for food.

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food

75% Recommend
“Better that I expected”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2012

I was a bit hestitant when going to this restuarant, mostly due to the location, but I was pleasantly surprised. The place was clean, all the front staff were helpful and pleasant. I think it doubles as a jamaican night club, because there were flyers posted in the bathrooms, a stage with a bunch of speakers. The food was good, but the portions are too big (might not be a problem for some)

“DIAMOND IN THE ROUGH”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2012

Went with the wife...the shrimp starter was TO DIE FOR!! I ordered the TRI-Special (Oxtail, Goat Curry and Jerk Chicken) my wife had the Brown Chicken Stew...both EXCELLENT. Excellent SERVICE, EVEN BETTER FOOD...BRAVO!!

Euless, Texas
“Great little gem”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2012

If it wasn't for a restaurant.com coupon my husband and I would never have known about this little gem. We arrived close to 7pm on a Friday and though there seemed to be twice as many employes there as customers it took more than 10 minutes before our waiter came by to welcome us and take our drink order. No big deal--we were in no hurry, though I was rather thirsty! I ordered the lemonade after reading reviews here. It was alright but nothing I would write home about. It just wasn't all that lemony. Maybe my batch was lacking an ingredient?
We started with the Rude Boy Jerk Shrimp appetizer. Just an interjection: We had to move to a different table about the same time we were getting our drinks and appetizer due to being seated immediately in front of a speaker....and the band had just arrived to set up. It was too loud with just the canned music coming out of the speakers so we didn't want to scream over the band to talk.
Anyhoo, the shrimp was really good and flavorful, though I didn't get even a small hint of any heat considering it was jerk. Meh...I have a pretty high tolerance to spicy food anyway. The yummy dip and mango salsa that came with it really brought it all together.
I ordered the Brown Stew Chicken and my husband the Kingston Trio with the goat curry, oxtail, and jerk chicken. The oxtails were wonderful and though too salty for my taste the goat was amazing! I loved my chicken as well, but the goat was my favorite of all we ordered, except for that heavy hand with the salt. Because of that saltiness I probably wouldn't order it again. A few bites were fine but there would be no way I could eat an entire bowl of all that salt, never mind that the spice mixture in the curry was like crack. Overall the different spices used for each dish were fantastic.
I didn't really care for my side of rice and peas (beans). It was dry and somewhat tasteless, in my opinion. I also had the hard dough bread which just seemed like a heavier Wonder Bread to me. Nothing wrong with that I guess, and a perfect texture to sop up gravy.
There were only three desserts available at the time so I opted for the rum cake. So good! Similar to an English sticky toffee pudding. The rum sauce seemed like, well, just rum (mixed with some sugar to make a syrup). No problem there! Our wonderful waiter Eddie gave me extra sauce to take home with the rest of the cake.
We would definitely come back here. The Red Stripe Chicken sounds like something I want to try next.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Arlington, Texas
“Very good food!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2012

My coworker and I went to the Jamaica Gates Caribbean Cuisine today for lunch. They had a delightful buffet. You could choose to order off the menu or take advantage of the buffet. Normally, I have to confess, I shy away from buffets but this buffet was fresh with a variety of choices. The curry chicken was tasty without being overpowered by curry; the bad boy jerk chicken was equally yummy. The tilapia was delightfully prepared. The flavors were all bold but not overwhelming. I read other reviews that thought the food was spicy. If you have a palate for salt and pepper only, don't come here. But if you like a little kick in your seasonings, come running here. And the fried plantains are out of this world!!! (they weren't on the buffet - we ordered them off the menu.) Oh! And you have to try the Jamaican lemonade!!! The lime is what makes it special. And refills are free!!

• Visited April 2012