“NOT a 3 star” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Amarillo Inn & Suites

You added Amarillo Inn & Suites to your Saves list
Amarillo Inn & Suites
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1911 I-40 East at Ross/Osage Street, Amarillo, TX 79102 (Formerly Clarion Hotel Amarillo)   |
Ranked #47 of 69 Hotels in Amarillo
“NOT a 3 star”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2013 via mobile

Priceline rates this as a 3 star-no way. The good-strong wifi in my room, Seattle's Best Coffee, nice flat screen & an empty outlet on 1 side of bed.
The bad-very SLOW drain in sink (looked like something was in it, but maid surely had to notice!), slow drain in tub (not as bad as sink), had to jiggle handle when flushing toilet (it was running when I first got to room), holes in bathroom walls where they replaced towel rod, hard (not firm) mattress, I could hear something running all night right outside my window (so I couldn't get fresh air to help the musty odor), no complimentary breakfast. Will try to avoid this one in future.

Stayed November 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Lunenburg, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2013

A large, accessible room and it was clean and tidy. The roll-away bed was VERY firm and comfortable. The room was quiet and the a/c worked great. Bath was large, clean with plenty of towels. The hotel is a bit dated and needs a refurbish. It has a GREAT indoor pool area which is ideal for wearing out the kids before bed-time. I didn't eat here as I had to leave early but it sure smelled good. Nice, helpful staff. A good choice.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Dallas, TX
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2013

I have stayed at over a 100 IHG hotels, this is certainly in the bottom 10%.
First of all, the night I stayed they had some sort of water leak that went on for couple of hours. Some hotel employee should know basic valve maintenance, in particular if the hotel is older and at risk for things going wrong.
As a result of that there was no hot water that evening and STILL no hot water the next morning.
After taking a cold morning shower and going to drop my keys at the front desk, I mention {sarcastically} how much I enjoyed my cold shower. Lady at the front desk did not respond with the “I am sorry to hear that” or “how can we make up for that” nope instead I get the “that’s all I have been hearing this morning don’t know what everybody wants me to do about it”
In addition to that this hotel needs serious remodeling. Bathroom sink keys, sink drain and shower keys all had significant rust on them. The most annoying thing about the bathroom was that the toilet lid and seat refused to stay up (due to shelf behind toilet not being cut to the correct size or toilet was too far back), rather annoying when trying to relieve your bladder.
In general I avoid pet friendly hotels, but strongly believe that even in pet friendly hotels, there should be a certain number of rooms which should be no pets ever.
The in house bar was nice and the rather nice free hot breakfast was certainly a positive.

Room Tip: if you are anti-pet, or do not want to walk on carpet full of pet hair and remains, insist on pet fr...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Amarillo, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2013

I just wanted to thank Holiday Inn off I-40 & Ross for hiring such an excellent desk clerk as Zac because his service was abseloutely amazing and top knotch! I have worked in Customer Service for eighteen years and I know what excellent customer service is. He treated my husband and I with the utmost respect causing us to feel like royalty! When I had went to the Hotel the day before our anniversary, Zac had set a nice expectation but his outstanding service superceded the picture he painted for me! Although I am a local native to the Amarillo area, I would gladly visit the Holiday Inn Hotel off of I-40 & Ross randomly because I know that I can depend on prompt but QUALITY service! Thanks Zac, YOU ROCK!!!
Harry and Fanti' Hill Jr.

Room Tip: If you are sensitive to noise, you may not want to select a room on the floor across from the game r...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
colorado springs
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2013

This was a very busy hotel the weekend I was there. It was completely full with a reunion one night and a banquet another,
. The rooms were large and clean with no spill over noise.
The bar area smelled so smokey I could not even go in and the breakfast buffet was practically inedible.
But the room was gine for sleeping and the price was right!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Lakewood Village,TX
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2013

My wife and I were driving back to Dallas,TX from Sedona,AZ and were to stay in Santa Fe,NM but my wife had come down very ill and so we decided to drive on to get home quicker. We ended up getting to Amarillo,TX and called Holiday Inn and everyone was full except for this hotel (what a surprise!) so being 11:00 PM at night we were made the reservation by cell phone sight unseen. I am a HGI Club member and it was near the airport so I believed it had to be a decent hotel right? (Wrong:(() ) I went to check in and it took forever, got the keys and drove to the back of the hotel and when I got to the room the key did not work:( and had to walk all the way back to the lobby and waited another 10 minutes. The all guy staff were ill dressed like they just got out of bed and were not professional as most Holiday Inn staff are and seemed new.
When we did get into the room it was BAD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!, there was some brown stuff in the bathtub - what?
The air conditioner was making loud noise, the bed and matress looked like it was 20 years old and worn out, so I called to ask for a new room and walked again down to the lobby to get a new set of keys. If we were not so tired and my wife ill, we would have left! We finally got a different room and crashed for the night so we could get up early and get the hell out of there!
I have traveled for 30 plus years and stayed at all types of hotels in the US and OUS and without a doubt this was the Worst hotel I have ever stayed at, let alone a Holiday Inn! Hence the 1 rating which I have never rated anything on Trip Advisor as Terrible but these folks are deserving. I have to believe this was a franchisee hotel and had offered a low room rate - "you get what you pay for - lesson learned"
The other guests seemed to be road crews, blue collar etc. which is fine but they were probably staying here because the rates were lower then other Holiday Inns in the area or could not find a room anywhere else. The rooms had probally not been updated since the 60's or 70s and were worn, needed new beds, carpeting, paint, and on and on. I expected to be awaken by screaming in the middle of the night by some unfortunate guest who ran into Bates while taking a shower (like the movie) - this was one scarry hotel. So my recommendations for fellow travelers is Stay Away - Stay Far Far Away.
Safe Travels

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Amarillo Inn & Suites, responded to this review, August 22, 2013
Dear Councilman1,

Thank you for your review. All our guest comments are valuable and we consider them seriously in the consistent endeavor to improve the quality of our products and service.

I sincerely apologize for the inconvenience caused by the room amenities and air conditioning system. Additionally, I am sorry for the dissatisfaction you had with our service level. This is definitely not up to our standards and we deeply regret the negative experience and impressions you may have had.

We are hospitality professionals who pride ourselves on delivering world class a world class experience. We take the confidence our guests place in us very seriously and work diligently to rectify any unsatisfactory experiences. Thank you again for your comments.

Dhan M
Case Manager
IHGCare
North Richland Hills, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2013

This hotel is OLD and has an old odor (musty, mildewy, smokey). When we walked in the smoke smell from the bar was a bit much. The hotel room was average. Only 2 towels in a room for 4. Bed was comfy. Breakfast was nice. Service personal was super nice and helpful!

Room Tip: Ask for an interior room not an exterior one, you a bit of highway noise!!!
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Amarillo Inn & Suites, responded to this review, August 20, 2013
Dear txfunmom,

Thank you for your feedback. We take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations. We appreciate your nice comment regarding breakfast and service.

However, We’re sorry we fell below your expectation regarding the property condition. We will look into this point. I understand the discomfort this caused you. Again, I do apologize and regret that this impacted your experience at our hotel. We hope you give us a chance in the future to show you how great our hotel is.

Orlando A.