“Upcoming renovations are welcomed” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Wyndham Garden Amarillo

You added Wyndham Garden Amarillo to your Saves list
Wyndham Garden Amarillo
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   3100 I-40 W, Amarillo, TX 79102 (Formerly Magnuson Grand Hotel Amarillo)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Plan Ahead & Save 15%
Ranked #44 of 69 Hotels in Amarillo
“Upcoming renovations are welcomed”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2014 via mobile

I'm glad the hotel is having renovations because it really needs it. The hotel is not falling down but you can tell is stuck in the 70's . I picked up the hair dryer and holy macro it was heavy and the buttons were really old. Also smelled bad like something burning even though I was drying my hair.

It had a nice courtyard on the way to the elevators. But the hallways are dark

The hotel room was spacious with a nice leather chair and comfortable bed. They also offer continental breakfast - not quite sure if it is for a charge.

The hotel is away from downtown and 15 to 20 minutes away from the airport.

They have a nice staff

• Stayed July 2014

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
Annapolis, Maryland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2014

I know that this hotel is being renovated but, until it is finished, the stay shouldn't be subpar. The rooms are dark and dingy, bath amenities are lacking, no electric sockets to be found. Carpet is dirty. Bathroom light wouldn't turn off. Shower floor was [peeling off. And the television was 1980's. Front desk staff seemed uninterested in guests checking in. There is a lot of staff mingling about but what are they doing? Exercise equipment is old. There was no water in the gym. No air conditioning. Just not a nice hotel.

Abilene TX
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2014

Wowzers! I was extremely impressed with the service first and foremost, but then to hear all the wonderful renovations that are going to happen made me even more excited for our bi-monthly trips back to Amarillo. We used to stay here all the time but have started staying other places, hearing on their website that it was under a new name, we decided to stay again and I'm so happy we did! The new management company is going to do wonderful things. I think they are starting with a new restaurant and then working room to room to make everything new. 5/5 definitely would recommend!'

• Stayed June 2014
Dalals, TX
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2014

I really enjoyed my stay here at the Ambassador, its new name.

The staff was terrific, and the location is great. Easy access in and out, lots of great food nearby. Good food in the hotel restaurant itself, and the property is nicely kept. My room was spotless, with a great bed, good towels, good water pressure, and comfortable temperature. All the elevators are working, and there must have been a lot of cleaning going on since some of the other reviews, because I found the place very well-kept.

This hotel is an old style atrium hotel, and I'll confess that I love those kinds of places. The common areas were cool and comfortable (no easy trick in Texas summer) and when I was there, dining was available in a really nice open seating area in the atrium. The plants are in good shape, the pool was clean, the workout facility was nicely kept, clean and seemed to be in good order, so all in all, I think this was a major win.

The televisions are older, but mine had a terrific picture, and I really am not there to watch television anyway. Live theater is less than a 10 minute drive, as is great Mexican food (walking distance) terrific pizza (5 minute drive) and it's about 10 minutes from the Cadillac Ranch.

This property deserves a nice review. Thanks to the staff here and to housekeeping, who did a terrific job on my room. I'd stay here again in a heartbeat.

Altus, Oklahoma
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2014

We were very impressed with the new management of the hotel. HMC is doing a wonderful job getting quality customer service back into the Ambassador Hotel! There are so many changes taking place and the GM insured or stay was pleasant none the less!I look forward to seeing the new renovations competed. Thank you!

• Stayed July 2014
Wellington, Colorado
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2014

To start of 3 elevators one sort of worked as long a the maintains guy stood at the bottom to open the doors. One up to the 8th floor I opened the door to my room and I was scared to enter. The carpet was filthy, nothing was updated beyond the year 1990. The bed was hard and the bathroom towels where frayed. I would not have stayed if I would have had a choice.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else to get a good, clean, and updated room.
Amarillo, Texas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2014

First of all, it's not called the Magnuson Grand Hotel anymore. It's the Ambassador Hotel. We have stayed here in years past and had good stays, but, boy has it gone down.

Only one of the three elevators works and a sign instructs you to hold the button until you get to your floor. The place smells nasty and musty. The carpet is ancient.

We arrived on June 24 and the AC was working poorly. Throughout the next day, the temperature kept rising and rising in our room. We finally went out and bought a fan. We learned that the AC was OUT in the ENTIRE HOTEL. People were furious and leaving right and left. We stuck it out, with the fan providing the only comfort. So far, we've endured two nights with no AC.

If I could, I would give the staff five stars, just for having to put up with the lack of concern by the owner and the management.

I would even rate this hotel "poor" if it were in a Third World Country.

Don't waste your time and money.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family

Been to Wyndham Garden Amarillo? Share your experiences!