“Tired and in need of updating” 3 of 5 stars

Magnuson Grand Hotel Amarillo
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   3100 I-40 W, Amarillo, TX 79102   |
Ranked #38 of 66 hotels in Amarillo
Woking, Surrey
“Tired and in need of updating”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2014

We stayed here for one night as part of a tour so it was pre arranged for us. Check in was ok girl seemed new, foyer was a bit run down and shabby. Our room was on the ground floor overlooking the pool which was nice but the sink and the toilet both had cracks in them. the complementary toiletries were half used and the coffee machine was blocked and wouldn't pour the boiling water through but as soon as I rang reception a replacement was bought in. As we were only staying one night I was looking forward to a swim but was told that even tho' the pool was advertised as open they had decided to add chemicals to it and do maintenance so we couldn't swim in it.(why this couldn't be done during its closing time I have no idea)All in all the hotel is just a bit run down and in need of a bit of TLC. It has potential to be really good.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family

260 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
Springfield, Illinois
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2014

For some unknown reason the hotel was recommended to us for a trip to Amarillo. Personally, I would not let my dog sleep there.

We arrived late after 10+ hours in the car. Upon arrival, it was clear the hotel is in desperate need of updating.

-parking lot littered with pot holes
-trash bins at entrance overflowing with beer cans and Whataburger cups
-tgi Fridays sign torn off the exterior with wires exposed. Fridays is now ambassador grille. Cheap beer for happy hour.
-no issues with check-in
-atrium smelled musty and reaked of chlorine from the pool.
-ceiling had water damage
-the maintenance man was polishing the brass railings along the walkway to the elevator as if he was killing time before his shift ended. You can't polish a turd.
-2 of 3 elevators were in service. Riding in the elevator and looking out over the atrium you can see stale cookies, dead bugs and filthy windows.
-from our arrival on Friday to departure on Sunday, the same used room service tray was in the hallway. Someone enjoyed their chicken wings.
-we hesitantly slid the key into our door wondering what we'd find on the other side. It was obvious the rooms have not been updated in 15+ years
-the room was moldy and musty. The vents were covered in dust and spider webs. Tiny square pillows were lumpy. I quickly yanked the comforter off and tossed it in the corner as far away as possible.
-bathroom size of matchbox. Impossible for more than one person to get ready at the same time. Bath towels the size of dish rags - they have nicer towels at the car wash.
-stained vintage carpet that was peeling back at the door jams.
-doors provided minimal sound insulation from screaming kids early in the morning. Tell me why the pool must open so early? It's certainly not so their parents can have some quiet time. Those rooms aren't conducive to anything intimate.
-we passed on ordering food at the restaurant. No telling what the kitchen looks like.
-on the last night, I noticed a small black bug on the wall as I was turning off the light. I laid awake wondering what else was crawling around. My body itches just thinking about it.

After staying there for two nights I will be washing or dry cleaning everything I took. I'm ready for a clean shower and comfortable bed. I will never go back if in the area again.

Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2014 via mobile

Room was clean. Tiny square pillows. Unable to sleep. States to have HBO but not. No channel guide for 1990's tv. Internet would not work. Toilet seat about to fall off. Was going to call front desk but the phone didn't work.
For the price find another hotel!!

• Stayed March 2014
Ridgway, Colorado
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2014

My husband and I travel frequently and have stayed at the Ambassador several times. On our way home to Colorado from Texas on this trip, I made a reservation and they couldn't find us in the computer after staying all the other times. Before they would go into the computer and have all the information, making the arrangements alot easier When I went in through the front door the valet was standing there by the door, which was open, smoking a cigar. After getting checked in at the front desk by Christi, who said she was new and did a good job, we went to our room, #112. Going in through the door by the parking lot to unload, it was filthy. Spilled drinks and cigarette butts everywhere and you didn't need a key card, just pull the door open. So much for security! When we got into our room the screen was halfway torn off the window and it was 55 degrees inside and 37 degrees outside. We tried to bring up the heat but it would not warm up a degree. We called the front desk and they sent a young man in with some major attitude who was supposed be the maintenance person on duty.. He said "we don't rent this room because the heat doesn't work! I said why was it rented then and he said Oh, I guess the desk clerk being new doesn't know. SO we packed everything back up and moved down the hall. Got into the room and it was 56 degrees!!!! We tried to adjust the heat and it would not warm up. We called the front desk and my husband asked to speak to the supervisor of housekeeping and maintenance. A girl came and informed us that the hotel had been sold and they are going to do a 6 million dollar remodel. So WHY are they even renting rooms when they are useless? It was like renting a room in the slums. Where you walk your dog (25.00 pet fee) is asphalt and dog feces was everywhere. I actually washed my dog's feet when we got back inside.
There used to be a TGIF in the hotel which made it really convenient after a long day of traveling but it is gone and now there is a place the desk clerk called Ambassador Grille. There is no sign to tell anyone the name of the place and not one person was in there. The hotel used to have a great complimentary breakfast, now you pay for it at the Ambassador Grille.
When I looked out the window where our car was parked, we were the ONLY car out there!!! After 2 1/2 hours of messing around with front desk, maintenance and housekeeping, we checked out (5;58 pm). Although we were given credit for the charges made at check-in, it did not compensate for the inconvenience of moving to the car from the first room, packing up and moving to the second room , packing up and reloading the vehicle and the over 2 hours of delay we suffered. The supervisor at the desk was rude as could be and wouldn't speak to me. She was on the phone getting instructions on how to give us a refund. She seemed to be bothered to have to work on the refund. I "suppose" she's affiliated with the new owners. We drove on to Dumas and stayed at a fabulous LaQuinta. .
This hotel is so run down and it used to be such a beautiful property. We are convinced it is surviving on day time meetings, not overnight guests. We want to share this with travelers because when you check the website or call them, it is like NOTHING is going on. EVEN if there is a 6 or 100 million dollar remodel, we will never stay there again. We feel like we were severely misled. Not a good feeling.

Room Tip: We always stay on the ground floor due to our pet. If I could give the hotel a half star, I would.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Eureka, Missouri
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2014

Room was clean, bed was comfortable, and service was good. We stayed here on our way to and from Missouri to Colorado in the same room, 121. The hotel is a little outdated and needs a little TLC, but was clean. Our room opened up right to the pool area and the pool was nice.

Room Tip: Rooms around 121 open right up to the pool which is nice so you don't have to walk all the way a...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2014 via mobile

Old time tv and limited amount of channels, the ad said HBO Was available, but no HBO, strands of hair on the bed sheet. Love the lobby and swimming pool area. Room was nice. Great hospitality. Location is good. Not too far from the mall. Good dining places in the area.

• Stayed January 2014
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2014

My husband purchased a special weekend package for me, we stayed in the skybox ( the 10th floor) it was everything promised and more. The entire staff was friendly and made us feel like we were royalty. We had a beautiful treat basket in our room plus they provided non alcoholic champagne for me as I am a recovering alcoholic. We had free hor D'oeurves and free drinks (diet coke for me) from 5-7 pm each night. The bartender was super nice and went over and above good service. We also got a complimentary full breakfast every morning. I got a massage on the first day of our stay and the therapist was very nice and gave a great massage. The hot tub and pool were both in working condition. Our room was very clean and really nice. We had several meals in the restaurant and everything was great and was presented very pretty and the wait staff and bartenders in there were also very nice and attentive to their jobs. The fron desk staff was great as well and the maid service was great. I highly recommend this hotel whether you are traveling or just taking a weekend getaway as we did.

Room Tip: We loved the 10th floor.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to Magnuson Grand Hotel Amarillo? Share your experiences!