“Roadside layover” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #50 of 69 Hotels in Amarillo
Pasadena, California
“Roadside layover”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2014

I was moving from Missouri to California along historic Route 66 and after over 13 hours of driving, all I needed a hot shower, safe parking, clean bed, and a hot breakfast (no time or energy for any other amenities). The big billboard advertising $39 rooms here made the destination more attractive to me, winning out over the $135+ no-reservation chain hotels in the area. But the cheap room was in a rear annex of the hotel, in a poorly maintained wing. Maintenance closets had visible padlocks on them, some doors to empty rooms looked like they had been punched out and the entry door to the parking lot was unlocked. Definitely felt like a cheap motel from another era. The room was clean and shower was fine, but this was definitely an absolutely no-frills place. The hot breakfast in the morning was not the fueling-up buffet I hoped for: sweet workers served the breakfast on disposable plates and cups and seconds were $3 extra. All staff seemed happy enough, but I would not really be proud to work there. For a pit-stop, it was fine. Glad I only stayed less than 8 hours.

Room Tip: Choose a room in the newer wing, which surrounds the breakfast service area, but will cost more.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
Frisco, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2014

My wife and I needed a place to spend one night while in Amarillo for a friend's graduation. After looking at several different places we settled on this one. The front desk manager, Chris, was very helpful and made sure everything was fine. Our room was clean and we slept well. (basic essentials, don't expect fluffy towels and a vast array of bath products.) The hotel is an older one. There were areas being renovated. The room we stayed in was a bottom floor one that had a door that opened to the parking area and a door that opened to the center dining area which I found to be rather interesting. Basic breakfast was served by friendly ladies.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Pinehurst, NC
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2014

I love tripadvisor. Typically before going on a trip, I research tripadvisor before making my travel arrangements and this method has always saved me aggravation. However, on a trip home from my sons college, we were in unplanned mode and when we became tired of driving, we had to find a "decent hotel". The Fifth Seasons Inn and Suites apparently did some renovations, which were impressive when entering the lobby. That, however was misleading.

The sign outside advertised "All Rooms 39.99" but we were told that only the rooms "in the back" were that price. I was assured that the only difference was that these rooms were without refrigerator and microwave. OK with us since our main objective was sleep, so we took the room. When arriving at the part of the building, we were assaulted by horrid smells and scary looking people. The room was unsecure, and worn to the point of being a "rent by the hour" type place. We immediately vacated the room and went to the desk to get a better room. Here I was told that the "upgrade" price was $89.95, which is a "bait and switch" when you have a sign outside advertising "All Rooms $39.99", (note the word "All"). When the manager tried to justify his upgrade pricing, I told him to honor his advertised rate or I was taking my money down the road. He wisely capitulated and I took the room in the atrium area. Still overpriced for the room I was given, but I am not a high maintenance woman, so I dealt with it. Therefore I am listing the objectives only... No security latch on the door, (used a chair under the knob) TV was older with very unclear reception, musty smells and stains on walls and doors abounded. Towels were the small, scratchy type. On the plus side, we had a quiet night and the water pressure made for a decent shower. I would have really been angry with myself if I had been gullible enough to pay $90

Room Tip: Check the room before paying
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
Indiana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2014 via mobile

I paid $49 for a nights stay and was very pleasantly surprised. The lobby and public area were beautiful. Our room was remodeled and very nice except for the office chair, which was soiled.
I would stay here again.

Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2014

Good hotel with fantastic potential however..... Flat screen tube tv, stains on carpet/ceiling/tile/tub. There was a used razor cover in the shower. If it was updated it could be great. Decent location and the Big Texan will pick you up!!!

Stayed March 2014
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2014

Arriving in Amarillo late, this was the first hotel I saw with an advertised price - $39.99 per night. When I registered the clerk mentioned that the $39 rooms were on a level with Super 8 and Motel 6 - I have never stayed in an 8 or 6 that was this bad!

The front of the hotel, and the majority of their rooms are, indeed, top notch, but the $39 rooms are disgusting. They are located in the back of the hotel, in what was probably the original hotel. From the moment I walked into the $39 section I was turned off by the odor, reminded me of a hotel where the rooms are rented by the hour. From there it didn't go up hill.

The bed, the main reason you stay in a hotel, was the worst I've ever experienced. You could see through the bed sheet, and feel the springs. I had to double check that I was on the mattress, and not the box springs. I like to relax in bed and either read or watch TV, I could do neither. There was no way to sit comfortably with the springs pushing up against me. Sleep took a couple sleeping pills.

The room was too cold (38 outside) so I turned the heater on , even on low it reminded me of a plane taking off. I got the room warm enough, then turned it off before I went to sleep.

As for the television, it reminded me of a set I had back in college - in the 60's! It had two colors - red and blue, and the picture was so snowy that it was tough to watch.

Breakfast was the only part of the stay that made me happy I paid $39, if I had been a regular guest I would have been angry. Breakfast consisted of scrambled eggs, watery oatmeal, two small sausages. You had to have a ticket, and were only allowed one small serving, even if you didn't want one of the offerings. An elderly woman ahead of me asked if she could have additional toast instead of the oatmeal, she was told no. I mean, how expensive is toast? I had the orange juice, and it tasted like the powdery mix "used by astronauts", not real juice.

Would I recommend staying here? In the better rooms, maybe. In the $39 rooms? Not even to bin Laden.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
Amarillo, Texas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2014 via mobile

This place is absolutely the most disgusting place I have ever stayed. Stayed at a America best inn last night in needles ca and it was a 5 star place compared to this. the water in the bathroom constantly dripped, the sheets looked like they where at least 30 years old, the lamps were all bent and mangled, the desk chair looked like it would not even hold my small duffle. Ask the drawers were falling out. The help was very polite, we actually couldn't even stay there When I waked back to the front desk and told the girls we couldn't stay there they laughed and promptly refuned me. I asked how often this happened they didn't say but apologized profusely. Whatever you do stay the heck away.

• Stayed March 2014

Been to Fifth Season Inn & Suites? Share your experiences!