“Mostly acceptable, nothing amazing” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #40 of 67 Hotels in Amarillo
Kilgore, Texas
“Mostly acceptable, nothing amazing”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2014

This Comfort Suites is not at the same level as many other Comfort Suites properties I have visited. It is, however, in a good location for visiting Canyon, TX as it is significantly less expensive with quick access to the area south of Amarillo. There were several not so great things about this hotel for us. I booked it because it was advertised as having an indoor pool. It does have one, and my 4 year old was excited to swim, until we went into the pool area and found it was extremely cold because of outside air coming straight into the room with a large fan blowing the air right in from outside. The pool was quite cold. The hot tub was so hot that I was afraid to put more than a toe in. I asked the front desk if the pool area was supposed to be heated as it was very cold, and the person indicated that was normal as it was December. Second, when I wanted linens for the pull out bed, I had to go back down to the desk to get them. No offer was made to bring them to the room, and they are not in the room when you arrive. Third, the walls are sort of thin. The hotel was very lightly booked, and they seemed to put all the guests in the same area. I was awakened by a noisily crying baby at 0430 and loud noises continued after that. Why not put people with young babies in a slightly more isolated area, for the comfort of other guests, if possible (and it definitely was possible). The breakfast was good. Hot food was nice and varied from day to day. There was no strawberry flavored waffle batter despite being labeled that way. The ivory blinds in the windows (top verticals) are very dated as is the decor in the lobby and rooms. Carpet is worn throughout. The flat screen TVs and channel selections were great! The hotel really looks like it was once nice, but it just wasn't what I would have expected from a Comfort Suites. No fresh baked cookies, no complimentary snacks, pantry for food items in the lobby locked up tightly (only free coffee other than breakfast times). On night 2 of a 3 night stay, my keys both quit working. The desk said they had gotten too near my cell phone...I know that they likely were programmed wrong to begin with. All this was not anything big and annoying (other than the lack of ability to use the pool) but it all added up to a mediocre stay overall.

Stayed December 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Springfield, Mo
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2013

I had a very pleasant and comfortable stay. The front desk staff, especially Michelle, was professional, friendly, and helpful from check-in to check-out. My room had a large flat screen tv and a comfortable king size bed. A nice plus was a window (with a screen) that actually opened to enjoy the Amarillo breeze. The room was clean and quiet. I would definitely stay again.

Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
ComfortSouth, General Manager at Comfort Suites South -- Amarillo, responded to this review, November 7, 2013
Thank you for the compliment. We strive to make our guests feel like their home. We look forward to seeing you again.
Canyon, Texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2013

We stayed here and even before we checked in I had Michelle on the phone who was rude and told me I could not check in to the room before my fiance got there with his card. All other hotels have been welcoming and accomodating seeing that he is a Marine and gladly would have given his credit card the moment he arrived or the morning after. He had a 14 hour drive and always said it made him feel more at home if I was already waiting in the room for him. After Michelle was rude with me over the phone and was not accommodating at all, I called him. We decided to cancel our reservations for the next night and only stay here one night. We moved to a much nicer hotel for only $20 more in a more convenient location. My recommendation is to stay at the Holiday in across the road, we have stayed there many times, they have a wonderful breakfast, accommodating staff and work with their customers.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
ComfortSouth, General Manager at Comfort Suites South -- Amarillo, responded to this review, October 22, 2013
We are sorry to hear about your recent stay. But you have to realize we have guidelines we have to obey. We cannot let just anyone bring someone's card to check in with, its against the law.
Jenks, OK
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

We have stayed her previously and had no problems. This time was different. Arrived on a motorcycle at 1:40 PM and went to check in. The lady at the front desk said she had no rooms clean until 2:00 PM and would not check us in. We stood outside for 15 minutes and then she came an got us and said she had a room for us. Did not recognize me as a Platinum member of choice hotels. Got to the room and the a/c would not work. Went back down and she said, whoops, and went over to a board an punched a button to turn on the air. (Guess that will keep you from staying longer than the checkout time!) That night the wind was blowing and the window would not seal tight so we heard the wind coming through the window all night. Combine that with a piece of the gutter on the top above our room being loose and slapping at the building all night. I like walking the steps and I saw where the rubber strips on the edge of the stairs was missing on 4-5 steps. No vending machines in the hotel for a late night snack, either.

They only serve breakfast from 6 to 9:00 am, and I for one do not like getting up early on Sunday. This was not a big deal. But then when I get home and review the bill that was left under my door, they charged me $1.50 for a room safe that I never even saw. Took another call to ask about it and they said that when I signed the check in sheet, it was noted on there. I sign a hundred of these a year and I never read all the details. Guess I will have to from now on.

But next time I will be staying at the new Holiday Inn Express across the street, so theis hotel can continue it decline. I will not be back.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Dallas, Texas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2013

Avoid this poorly maintained, filthy, and true risk to your health and safety.

Pool is a swampy mess, beds are so worn and squeaky, towels are a cross between cardboard and sandpaper, and bedding is stained and certainly fails the UV test. Door lock is missing parts. Wallpaper peeling. Not even going to risk breakfast in the morning. They would not change my room because they are full, and would not put me up somewhere else.

Stopped at front desk this morning to see if they had clean, intact towels, night audit clerk was asleep at the front desk.

Breakfast was a disappointment. Hockey pucks passing for biscuits, a watery, gritty mixture representing scrambled eggs with what may have been diced ham, and a few soggy potatoes cubes. Toaster did not work, barely warmed the bread after four minutes, and waffle iron did not get hot enough to cook waffles through.

Save your money and save yourself some aggravation, and get a good night's sleep... somewhere else!

• Stayed July 2013
St. Petersburg, Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2013

Parking & check-in okay. We went to our room, it was stiffling hot, lifted the window air condition control cover and it fell out to the floor, the controls were showing that the air condition was turned on, but was not working. Asked my wife to call the desk to inquire about it, when she called, the air condition came on, the desk clerk informed here that he had not turned the air condition on in our room yet. Never heard of this before, it must be something new. tryed to get some ice on second floor, ice machine not working for a long, long time, it has turned white around the front of dispenser. Asked the desk clerk where the ice machines are, There's one on the 1st floor, but door is locked and manager has the key, and he said it does not work either. Used the computer room, very hot no air, had to prop door open with dinning room chair....
But motel has a no smoking and no pets policy.. that is about the only pros.

Room Tip: I would not recommend this motel.....
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
ComfortSouth, Manager at Comfort Suites South -- Amarillo, responded to this review, June 24, 2013
We informed all guests that the hotel was under renovation. A/C company did not come in until a couple of days later to finish their end. We were in the process of adding a suite shop, therefore the ice machine was not in use. All renovations is complete for future reference.
Grand Prairie, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2013

Housekeeping did not leave any clean towels and wash clothes, nor did they leave fresh coffee packets.
Breakfast was a mesh, seems they were lack of help. Many food items were not provided unless you were willing to wait for long periods of time.
They only had one elevator which seem to be in constant use during peak hours resulting in long waits.

Room Tip: They said they were animal free although we seen people with animals. Loud noises in hallways kids...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family

Been to Comfort Suites South -- Amarillo? Share your experiences!