“Filet was amazing!” 4 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #21 of 427 Restaurants in Amarillo
Cuisines: American, Steakhouse
Good for: Families with children, Large groups
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Takeout, Buffet, Late Night, Dessert
Description: Voted as the #1 Eating contest in America by Huffington Post.Voted as 1 of the top 10 places by Draft Magazine to drink a beer at.The list goes on and on. This place is full of action and what the Wild West was all about. 2,000 Square foot gift shop that even has a live rattlesnake in there. We have 12 Hand-Crafted beers made on site with a beer style to fit almost any beer drinker. From Raspberry Wheat to Whiskey Barrel Stout with Seasonal beers to fill in such as Oktoberfest Lager & Pecan Porter. Same Lee family for the last 54-years serving 3-generations of guests. Young man, We fed your grandfather! We're Glad your Here!
“Filet was amazing!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2014

Yes its a touristy place but fun and a great stop if passing through. The filet was a good 2" cut and delicious! The Chopped steak and chicken fried chicken breast were also very good. They make their own beer on site. There is a gift shop and candy store also. If your really hungry try their 72oz steak challenge and you eat for free. Good luck.....

Ft. Worth
“When in Amarillo you have to do this at least once”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2014

Come on folks, you have to do this touristy, kitch, Texan stereotype steakhouse just because it's famous. Although many have tried & failed to eat the 72 oz. steak/baked potato, shrimp cocktail & roll combo to be a champion, there are many more manageable steak sizes to enjoy such as the Fort Worth Ribeye. The steaks are OK but surely you didn't come here for a great steak dinner, you came for the over-the-top experience of it all. There is a long list of handcrafted beers but I opted for the laughing margarita with a big 'ole jalapeno pepper instead of a lime on the rim. The Route 66 memorabilia, deer & elk heads along the wall, saloon ambiance & strolling old guitar players & singers made this a fun evening. And if you haven't had enough there is a great souvenir gift shop for a few really Texasy trinkets.

• Visited July 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Mesa, Arizona
“Texas Treat”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2014

The year was 1978. My parents were moving us from New York to Phoenix. It was Thanksgiving Day and my mother was heartbroken that we were spending it on the road. The Big Texan caught her eye as my Dad drove down Interstate 40. They decided this place would be fine to spend Thanksgiving. I will always remember the fabulous Thanksgiving Buffet that we experienced.

So it is now 2014, I am 50 years old and we are visiting family in Lubbock, TX. I decide we are taking the long way back to Phoenix via Amarillo so that we can stop for lunch. No one really understands why I'm doing this. I tell them I have to and that's that.

So after 36 years I am back at the Big Texan Steakhouse with my family. It is everything that I remember. The place seems bigger and more "touristy" but it's ok because that is exactly what I am. I had a wonderful sirloin and the family had an assortment of sliders and steaks and were very satisfied. We even got serenaded by a singing Cowboy. My only disappointment was our waitress seemed indifferent and apathetic. I am so glad I came back to the place that introduced this New Yorker to the American west.

• Visited July 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Derby, United Kingdom
“Good steak, amazing atmosphere.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2014

It's cheesy, tacky, touristy and loud, but nevertheless, an excellent experience. It's obviously quite a busy establishment with a lot of tourists (like myself), in fact I think it was one of the only times during our trip to the states that we spoke to another English person. With it being busy we did have a 45 minute wait (we were handed a pager type thing that started flashing and beeping when out table was ready), but this was not a problem as we spent 20 minutes in the onsite gift shop where we bought a Texas Christmas decoration to add to out collection. After this we went to the bar to try some of the local beers/ales, there was enough to choose from. There is also an arcade area which we didn't use but it looked great. When seated our orders were taken within 15 minutes with the food coming out approx. 20 minutes later. The steak was very good, one of the better steaks I have had and the sides were good too. The waiter was also very polite and friendly and went out of his way to recommend places for us to visit in and around Amarillo. The whole atmosphere in the establishment was amazing, everyone was happy and having a good time. I would definitely return in the future and hope to bring more people with me!

• Visited August 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
A TripAdvisor Member
“Typical tourist trap”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2014

Great concept and it is worth the visit. However, if you are expecting a delicious, juicy steak, you will be disappointed.
Despite being cooked to medium well, the steak tasted old and was rather insipid. I found myself trying to enhance its flavor by ravaging it with a whole jalapeño pepper; alas to no avail.
The beans were pretty tasty and they were the most appetizing part of the dinner.
It was great to go just to say I have been there on the places to go and visit.
If you want to splurge for gluttony's sake and challenge yourself for 70 oz. of steak, go! If you're looking for a place which actually has fresh meat, drive 7 hours to Cattleman's in Fabens, Texas. You won't be disappointed!