“knock out good meal” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: American
Plano, Texas
“knock out good meal”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2014

a group of us on a hunt stopped on a busy Friday night. Great food and wonderful service despite an overwhelming crowd trying to get in. Would go again and again.

• Visited January 2014

McKinney, Texas
“Great lunch!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2014

Stopped in on 6th Street for a little lunch and some junk shopping today and landed at Smokey Joe's. We read on TripAdvisor that they had THE best chicken fried steak in all of Texas, so we had to check it out!

Four of us (all girls) shared two orders and were STUFFED when we left. The steak was awesome (two of us went all out and had the jalapeño gravy, while the other two had the regular gravy). We both got mashed potatoes and fried okra. Fabulous!!!!! Can't imagine how we would ever have managed to eat an entire order by ourselves. The wait staff was fun and friendly.

We would have loved to sit outside -- it was a beautiful day -- but the smokers are relegated to the patio and it was too Smokey Joe out there for us!

• Visited May 2014
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Amarillo, Texas
“good eats”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2014

A friend and I went there on a Friday night. I had the hot ham & cheese and he had the frito pie. Both were very good. Laid back crowd, excellent service. Eager to go back and try the jalapeno chicken fried steak!

• Visited March 2014
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Midland, Texas
“Second visit even better than the first.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2014

I had their jalapeno chicken fried steak. It was just about perfect for my taste. Some bite from the jalapeno gravy and some additional sliced jalapenos on top to suit to ones taste. One of the best chicken fried steaks I've ever had. Ordered fried okra and green beans for sides, also very good. Okra was as good as it gets. Service was excellent and the crowd was light. They also have a full bar so any drink one might imagine is probably available. Water was good. Interesting interior and decor. I will go out of my way to stop in here again. Oh, wait.. I did. This is my second visit and it was even better than the first (had sandwich the first visit).

• Visited March 2014
Midland, Texas
“Very good lunch at Smokey Joe's”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2013

This was definately one of the best lunch stops I've ever made. I had the Green Chilli Philly Sandwich and my wife wad the Chicken Fried Steak Sandwich. Both were excellent. I like philly cheese steak and this version with the green chillies was just the best one I have ever had. It came with onion rings that were also perfect. Wifes steak sandwich was something else (yes we shared). The steak was twice as big as the bread and tender enough to easily bite through. Tater tots she had were also a nice change of pace from the normal french fries. Water was good, service was excellent. We will try to time any trips through Amarillo so we can try another meal in this place. Decent beer selection but I was on the road so didn't try any. View of the pedestrian traffic on old Route 66 was "interesting", I would call it scenic. My wife might disagree. (-:}

• Visited October 2013