“Another Excellent Dave's” 5 of 5 stars

Description: NE corner Soncy and I40
Elk Grove, California
“Another Excellent Dave's”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

My wife and I try to visit a Famous Dave's whenever we are in the right areas, and have seen some from San Jose (CA) to Naples (FL) and Richmond (VA) to Minneapolis (MN) to Glendale (AZ). The food is always very good, well prepared and virtually identical in each city. We are always seated quickly and served immediately, with several visits during the meal to ensure we are pleased. We often talk to the manager, who constantly prowled the area. They are not perfect -- once I sat down and was overlooked for about ten minutes in Richmond, but they made a big deal about it when they realized their error and reduced the check. This time, I had the Hot Link Sausage, always my favorite, that I think is outstanding. Georgia Chopped Pork joined the sausage, and, as always, two meat dishes (along with two side dishes like Wilbur's Beans and Potato Salad) left me close to stuffed. My wife had St. Louis-Style Ribs, Dave's Famous Chili and Wilbur's Beans and Cheesy Mac & Cheese side orders, which was so much that we had to take half of it away with us. We also took two extra orders of Chili when we left and found it again superb two days later. I've introduced a couple of friends to Famous Dave's Bar B Que and both of them think it's equal to the best BBQ available.

• Visited March 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Orlando, Florida
“Big fan of Famous Dave's”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

I'm a frequent diner at the Famous Dave's in Portland, Ore., so it was a delight to stumble across this restaurant (it's a bit hidden, you have to look for it).

Food was good. I did take-out and the take-out took quite a while though the restaurant was not real crowded. The person taking my order seemed pretty disinterested in everything and didn't know the menu well, but fortunately I did and knew what I wanted.

Take-out portions are huge, prices are not unreasonable (but seemed a bit high compared to the Oregon restaurant), and everything was good. For me Famous Dave's is a comfort food place.

Though a bit hard to find the restaurant is very convenient to hotels in the I-40 area there, and if you're in the area that's a place you want to visit.

• Visited March 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Norman, Oklahoma
“BBQ like it should be...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

Even though this is a chain, it is a great place in Amarillo to enjoy good BBQ. The meat is smoked and and not drowning in sauce like they are trying to hide something. Environment is good and the prices are reasonable.

Visited February 2013
New Mexico
“Convenient”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

The restaurant was right next to the Drury Inn so very easy in and convenient for take-out. The food was average. Ribs were okay, a bit dry, smashed potatoes were good. I would pass on the desserts. The staff was very nice and helpful just before closing.

Visited January 2013
Dallas, Texas
“Good Barbecue”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2012

Have been here several times, plus have also been to Famous Dave's in Knoxville and NYC. The food is consistently good, but not great. The brisket on my last visit was a bit tough. The sides are good, as are the variety of sauces. The service is efficient. The prices are reasonable.

• Visited December 2012