“Nice and Clean, but . . .” 1 of 5 stars

Special Offer
$20 Daily Credit
Ranked #22 of 69 Hotels in Amarillo
Orange County, CA
“Nice and Clean, but . . .”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2007

The Courtyard in Amarillo was a clean hotel and it seemed to be relatively new. We checked in during a tornado warning and the front desk was happy to check the weather reports for us to let us know how bad the weather was going to be. Things were off to a great start.

HOWEVER, the hotel was full of shady characters . . . one man was walking up and down the corridor of the 2nd floor holding a beer and looking into each room's peep hole. There was a group of rowdy men in the lobby who were cat calling and cursing like sailors within earshot of women and children. I asked the woman at the front desk what we should do about the scary man in the hallways, and she said she couldn't do anything because she was "the only one here." That's reassuring--the only security was a 100-pound woman in her early 20s. Great!

We also had the added bonus of being awakened at 6:40 AM by a fire alarm, which went off for at least 4 minutes. When we called the front desk to see if there was a reason for concern, the man who answered was rude and unapologetic, and pretty much told me not to bother him. We checked out immediatley.

Despite the cleanliness of the hotel, I will not return because of management's lack of concern for the safety for their guests.

• Liked — Clean rooms, hotel appeared to be new.
  • Disliked — Lack of security, fire alarm going off, hotel staff rude when questioned about fire alarm......
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Albuquerque, New Mexico
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2007

We had planned a trip to Oklahoma over the holidays. We drove straight through on the way there, but decided to break the trip up on the return home and booked a night at the Courtyard in Amarillo weeks in advance.

The region was hit by a major snow/ice storm. As luck would have it, I-40 was open through Oklahoma to Amarillo. When we arrived at the hotel on our scheduled night, at least 30 other travelers were in the lobby--patiently waiting to see if they could get a room. The hotel had no power. All of the staff were just amazing--working phones to find rooms for those travelers they couldn't accommodate, providing verbal updates on the road conditions, and getting rooms for those who did have reservations.

Without power, staff were unable to produce keys for guests. The manager escorted guests to rooms and used his master key to get people into rooms and out of the lobby. We were on the second floor and had to carry our luggage up the stairs. The manager did all of the heavy lifting for us.

Our room was wonderful and met the best standards of any Courtyard.

Our rate included breakfast the next morning. Only one staff member oversaw the entire breakfast setup--food, clearing of tables, and cashier. Obviously, she was overwhelmed with a sold-out situation. She did her best in an awful situation.

When most of the staff undoubtedly wished they were home tending to their own homes in a winter storm, they really rose to the moment and took care of the guests. I was very impressed. Based upon their service and the hotel's quality, I'll stay here everytime I'm in Amarillo.

• Stayed December 2006
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Wichita Falls, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2006

I was in Amarillo for business, and this hotel certainly caters to the business crowd. High speed wireless internet worked great. I also liked the unconventional bed alignment in my king room, and the movable writing desk. Another reviewer complained of noise from nearby I-40, but I had the room closest to the highway on the ground floor and didn't notice it at all. Only negative from my stay was the fact that I did not get the wake up call that I asked for--didn't matter to me because I was awake anyway, but that can be a big deal.

• Stayed January 2006, traveled on business
Hampshire UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2005

As a UK visitor on a US driving holiday I had never stayed in a Courtyard before. The staff were wonderful, the room superb, bed really comfortable, wi-fi access fantastic and breakfast was wonderful. Hotel was quiet (in spite of being next to Interstate). Loads of restaurants within 5 mins driving or even walking. I thought was brilliant value for guests.

• Stayed November 2005
A TripAdvisor Member
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2004

As mentioned by others, this Marriott is nothing to look at on the outside. The room was very nice. I like the way the bed was oriented in the room (huge headboard) and the accent pieces were nice. Nice large bathroom with a sitting area in the shower and a low wall divider for the toilet. Only disappointment was that the room should have been quieter. The hotel is set back from the highway AND frontage road, yet I could hear the trucks all night long. Be sure to ask for a room facing away from the road.

A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2004

New hotel- Set up for business travel with free wireless internet. Not much to look at from the outside, but rooms are very nice.

3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2004

I tried this hotel because was a Marriott Courtyard. Really the hotel is new, the rooms are nice, and the furniture is good. The problem is in the staff. The are not yet trained sufficiently for a chain like Marriott. For instance I had to wait half an hour for my room, in a line of 5 people. Afterwards, the internet was not working, and nobody could give me a solution. More than that, I asked about breakfast and they told me it was in the morning before 10 AM, what they did not tell me is that was not included!! and I had to pay an extra 9 dollars for it (and it was very basic buffett).

If this hotel can take a look in this problems mentioned, probably will become a real "Marriott" soon.

Been to Courtyard Amarillo? Share your experiences!