“very good” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Amarillo KOA

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Amarillo
Amarillo KOA
You added Amarillo KOA to your Saves list
1100 Folsom Rd, Amarillo, TX 79108   |
Quebec City, Canada
“very good”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2014

We stayed 2 nights in a tent in the campground last May. First of all, I would say that we went to many KOAs both in the US and Canada in our lives, and this is the KOA we found had the nicest décorations (see pictures). It is really beautiful. The people at the reception were so nice and helpful. They gave us coupons to get discounts at attractions nearby. They also gave very good advice. Their shop is very complete and you can also buy plenty of souvenirs. You can buy specialized very good coffee in the morning. I got the caramel coffee and it was awesome!

Our stay in the tent was very quiet even though my husband didn't sleep so well because of a few trains running at night nearby. As for me, it didn't disturb me really because it was not that loud. We heard a lot of much louder trains during the rest of our trip in the Panhandle (trains seem to be very important and everwhere in that area). We were not disturbed at all by the airport nearby. The whole area has been suffering from a severe drought for years. As a result, the employees told me how they have to water even the big trees regularly. So the grass in not very nice but it is not their fault.

We really enjoyed the swimming pool and appreciated that they opened it before Memorial Day as it was so hot outside. Restrooms and showers were VERY clean but you need a code to get in (I kept forgetting it and had to check again many times on our registration paper... best not to lose it, ha ha!).

You have many restaurants and grocery stores (as well as a Walmart) to choose from nearby.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Currituck, North Carolina, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2014 via mobile

As others said the staff is very nice and place clean. We stayed one night and got a chance to see things. No shade and very windy since the sites are in a open field. Train we only heard twice during day & planes stopped early night. We paid 41.00 full hook up 30amp. That might have been with our KOA discount of 3.00. If you want to eat at the famous Big Texan Steak House the Restaurant picks people up Free right at your site and it's great. Just tell the KOA desk and they make the arrangements. Try & make a point to go because just what you see there along with the great food is worth it. Cost of dinner is $17.00 up but it includes the fun atmosphere. Take your camera. Check out my review on the Restaurant. Have fun!

• Stayed July 2014
Houston, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2014

I did not give this an excellent rating because I don't like campgrounds that resemble a parking lot. Everything else about this place was excellent. The pool was nice (but cold). The site was level, the staff was friendly, the bathrooms were clean.
Some reviewers commented about noise from trains and aircraft. I did hear a train, it was quiet. You have to listen to hear it. The airport is next door, but planes quit taking off around 9 pm. It wasn't an issue.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Winston Salem, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2014

This KOA was top notch. They gave us a great site for our tent. The camp hosts were very nice and provided information on the area. We enjoyed our stay there. The bath facilities were very clean and the grounds were in good shape.

Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Denver, Colorado
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2014

I was driving from South Texas to Denver and Amarillo was a good point to stop at after 12 hours of driving. I considered staying at a state park in the area but figured since I was traveling alone I would feel safer camping at a Koa. I made my reservation over the phone and as I drove through the city to the Koa I kept kicking myself because there were dozens of motels along the way for just a few bucks more than what I paid to camp!

Anyway, I got in and it was already dark so I pretty much just went to find my flyer with the codes on it to use the shower and then went to sleep. The camping pads are groomed really well and I was really happy because it was quite comfortable to camp on a lovely cool night. I left before the office opened so I never met any of the staff.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled solo
Knoxville, Tennessee
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2014

We arrived late and departed early so can only speak to our specific site experience. Easy access from I-40. Sites are really packed in close together. Had full RV hookup and everything worked. Registered and paid first thing next morning. A bit pricey for what we received but that seems to be the case at all KOAs on this extended trip. Was fine for our short stay. Self contained and didn't use any amenities other than RV hookups. As another reviewer stated, this campground is near the train tracks and airport. We typically run white noise at night so this wasn't bothersome to our sleep. I can see how it would be a problem without the white noise though.
Adequate for an overnight stay. Not a destination by any stretch.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Avon, Colorado
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2014

We arrived on a saturday night at about 6:30. The hosts informed us there were leaving at 6:45. We pulled into our site. Promptly at 7:00 pm the motors started up at the motorcycle raceway a stone's throw away. No wonder they left at 6:45, they knew no-one would think about checking in with all that noise. We were kept up until close to 11PM by the noise of the racetrack. Very unhappy, we won't be back.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple