“Families to Avoid during Holidays” 3 of 5 stars

Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save 10-30%
Ranked #11 of 69 Hotels in Amarillo
“Families to Avoid during Holidays”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2012

We selected this location based on its top ranking on TripAdvisor and the fact that it has an indoor pool with a slide (a little treat while road tripping with small children).

The place is clean & has a relatively new feel--a seemingly great value for $80. Here's the wrinkle that other reviewers likely did not experience--the staff is NOT trained to handle holiday traveling families. This is Amarillo, so occupancy may either typically (i) be low or (ii) be made up of adults in town for a particular reason.

So, here we are the day after Christmas with our two small boys on a road-trip on our way into Colorado. We show up at 7pm, only one guy behind the desk on the phone and it's 17 degrees F outside. As we patiently wait to be checked in, a line forms behind us, triggering the automatic doors & blowing frigid air into the lobby. My boys start to complain, of course because that's what kids do, but I expected the guy to either get off the phone and start checking us in or to get someone else in the back to check us in (its not like we rolled in at 1am). We eventually check in and are told the pool is a zoo--ok, so what, we shouldn't take our boys there?

Of course we check out the pool and what's making it a zoo is the fact that the warm pool and outside cold air has created a fog in the pool room giving only about 10 feet of visibility. The staff has a door to the outside propped open blowing in 17 degree air in an attempt to defog the place. Can you imagine how cold they've gotten the air, making the place even foggier as the pool and hot tub give off heat?

We go over to the slide and are told my boys need a wristband after I sign a liability waiver at the front desk. Ok, I'm an attorney, makes sense, but we couldn't have received this information when we checked in and talked specifically about the pool? We go back to the front desk, but now in swimming shorts and t-shirts, wait again in line as the automatic doors to the lobby continually open and close and get our wristbands, only good for one night apparently because the slide won't be open in the morning. Ok, whatever.

Next morning, we go down for breakfast and talk about a ZOO!! The place is packed. Ok--to be expected for complimentary breakfast available to traveling families on holiday. However, the confusion was staff created. One sign says please wait to be seated, another says seat yourself. We wait, and wait. When someone finally acknowledges the 50 people waiting to be seated, we're happy to find there is no food at all. There is a mob mentality at play and as soon as an item is brought out, like pancakes, the person closest to the item grabs all of them. Literally, all if them. The staff looks on. We take a table and wait for more food to be brought out to the buffet. 20 minutes go by, a staff member asks if we're ok and I reply we will be when we can get food without having to elbow people out of the way for it. She responds, "we'll breakfast is almost over, there may not be any more food". Really?! Wait an hour and get a flippant response line that?

When it dawns in me that I'm not so cheap as to deprive my family of a $10 breakfast at McDonalds, we leave. As I'm checking out, I mention the place is a zoo and the staff member checking me out gives me a look like "what do you expect? Y'all are a pack of animals".

Guys, we're not guests in your house! We're travelers who are paying you for a nice place to stay in Amarillo, for crying out loud, on our way to a more desirable vacation destination. You need to learn how to manage the high-class problem of being busy during the holidays. If you treat it like a burden, your ranking on Tripadvisor will rightly fall.

• Stayed December 2012
1 Thank TexasLongHauler
Scott A, General Manager at Holiday Inn Amarillo West Medical Center, responded to this review, January 4, 2013
TexasLongHauler - Thank you so much for the review!! I believe (based on the dates you stayed) that you stayed the same time as local2tracy listed below. All I can do is apologize about your breakfast and overall experience. It's not normal and that day was one of the craziest I have seen. I have spoken to our Front Desk Manager about your experience at check-in and I believe that we have everything corrected. Thank you again for your review and we hope to see you again soon!!

Tracy, CA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2012

My over-all rating is Average on the lower-end of the scale, I expected a lot more from this class of property/price. I have stayed in 3star(Best Westerns) to 5star(Wynn, Bellagio, Disney, Shangri-la) properties. It would have been Poor except for the Good stuff I have noted below.

The Good:
First of all, I only have good words for the night front desk - I believe it was Carlos(?). We arrived after 12 midnight(of Dec26, so it was technically Dec27) and felt warmly welcomed. Carlos found a luggage cart for me from upstairs and was very helpful and kind at all times. So 5stars for him.

Second, we had 2 rooms. Both were very well-kept, clean and fresh, bathroom is also well stocked with toiletries (Bath&Body Works!). The bathroom was especially sparkling clean - I actually enjoyed a soak in the tub which I don't normally do in hotels (quick showers but don't soak in tubs, due to the ickiness factor of unknown level of cleanliness). So again, 5 stars for house keeping staff.

Third, hotel theming is 4star for effort (ofcourse not on par with Disney's but it was obvious an effort was made). I loved the Texas-themed decor especially the tissue holder in the bathroom (my favorite). I also loved the picture frames, different in each room.

As for the bed, it was a bit hard but I loved the soft pillows though they were smallish.

Noise-wise, I was not bothered by road noise or the room/hallway noise.

Room security seems good since the elevator can be operated only with a room-key swipe. This is important due to the restaurant/bar which potentially attracts other people (non-staying guests).

There is one server in the morning who was very attentive and kind to the guests at the breakfast buffet - but I didn't get his name. The rest of the morning crew More on this below.

The Bad:
AC is noisy and does not stay at the desired level of room temp. At the same setting, the room sometimes feels too hot or too cold - so we had to adjust manually for comfort.

Our first room had a broken heater, a big no-no in winter season. We called front-desk and Carlos moved us to a different room (it's around 1am by then after my hot-tub soak). So this made up for the broken heater issue.

Breakfast experience is horrible, the worst ever. No food in the buffet, long lines of hungry grumpy people waiting for food and seats/tables, it was only 8am. I asked a "chef" for pancakes/waffles and he said "no more". I wondered how it was earlier. Kitchen people didn't seem happy with their jobs, a manager-looking person seemed to be lending a hand with the cooking. He should have come out and apologized to all the guests waiting for food instead of letting the other staff deal with the hungry guests. Food in small amounts tricked at intervals, a few strips of bacon, some scrambled eggs and potatoes. It was gone the moment they were moved to the serving trays/warmers. Bread was nowhere to be found, even coffee ran out! First time I encountered a hotel running out of coffee in a breakfast buffet (you can make in your room tho). The only bright spot was a server/cleanup person who was very good-natured and tried to assist as best he could with all the craziness around. I didn't get his name and I should have done so.

This was the first Holiday Inn stay I had since they modernized their logo, and I am not going back. I usually stay at Hampton Inns when not splurging on vacations.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 stars
    • 3 of 5 stars
local2tracy - Thank you so much for your review!! I agree with everything that you have stated. I also appreciate how detailed you are on your reviews.

BOY!!! Do I know of the day you are speaking. That was definitely a crazy day. I feel bad for every guest that experienced breakfast that particular morning. Definitely a day where everything hit at one time and food was just not cooking fast enough.

Please know by our other reviews that this is not normal. The experience that you received at check-in is the service culture that is embedded in all of the departments of the hotel. You should receive friendly, smiling people no matter what time of day and no matter what area of the hotel you are in. I apologize that we let you down.

The Front Desk has my cell phone. PLEASE, PLEASE call me!! They will not let me contact you through Tripadvisor. I would like to personally apologize to you regarding your stay. I can guarantee you that our breakfast will blow away every Hampton breakfast you have ever had (if we have sufficient food out there). I would really like you to stay with us again and I will personally guarantee that you will not have this experience twice.
Euless, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2012

I picked this hotel from the other reviews I read and my husband and I weren't disappointed! We only stayed the one night but were impressed by the friendliness of the front desk person and the lovely lady who served as our bartender. The room was immaculate and perfect! We took advantage of the free breakfast and found it had ample selection. We would stay here again!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars
travelladyiwish - Thank you so much for the Awesome Review!!! We really appreciate you taking the time to review our hotel. I am so glad that you selected our hotel. Amarillo has alot of options and we work hard to be your "hotel of choice". I am so glad that our staff was friendly and your service was exceptional. Thank you again.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2012

I was a bit surprised at how small the pool was, but the hotel rooms are a good size and clean. I should also mention that it is a great value. The staff are warm and friendly, and if you are on a long road trip and Amarillo happens to be in your path, this is the place to stay! Very family-oriented.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars
Dolphinx5 - Thank you so much for the great review!! I am very happy that our staff was so accommodating and friendly during your stay. YES!!! Everyone!!! If Amarillo is in your path, we are the place to stay!!! Thank you for staying with us. It was a pleasure serving you.
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2012

I selected this hotel based on location and ratings. Unfortunately, I did not share the same experiences as other reviewers. The person at the front desk was not friendly and took longer than normal to check people in. The fire alarm went off 4 times. We went down stairs but there was no one else waiting so we went to the front desk to inquire what was going on. After she kept us waiting she finally told us that it was a false alarm. We went back to our room to await room service. We should have stopped somewhere for dinner prior to checking in. The food was terrible! It has been a while since I have stayed at a Holiday Inn and now I remember why. Never Again!

• Stayed December 2012
    • 2 of 5 stars
LorraineLA - Thank you so much for sharing your exerience at our hotel. I deeply apologize about your stay while in Amarillo. We work very hard to provide excellent service and it seems that we have fallen short. Please know that this is not a normal experience at our hotel. I would like to personally speak to you regarding your stay. The hotel has my cell phone or my email is sallison@ramhotels.net. I encourage you to stay with us again. I will personally see that your stay is exceptional!
Howard, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2012

It is very obvious that this hotel is very well managed. The front desk staff are extremely polite and the rooms are fabulous - even the modern mirror in the bathroom!!!! They have done all the little things just right. No negative signs and a bottle of water as you check in or out. The restaurant has a mexican theme and we had the Crispy Avacado - avocado dipped in panko crumbs and deep fried - you have to try it - it was fabulous!!! The restaurant manager came to our table to make sure that everything was AOK. The buffet breakfast was very well done and Rudy took care of every need. This is a fabulous hotel and restaurant - you must give it a try.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars
Mark G - Thank you for sharing your experience at our hotel. I really enjoy the Crispy Avocado too!!! We strive hard to be the friendliest hotel you will find and I am glad that you chose us for your hotel stay. We hope to see you again soon!!! Thank you so much for such nice comments!!
Santa Fe, New Mexico
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2012

My husband and I spent 4 days here in December. When you walk in, you see a wonderful lobby and smiling faces. We had a lovely, quiet room. Sadly, I wasn't well, so I spent a lot of time in the room most of the 4 days. The bed was comfortable and cozy, so I could read books or sleep. Breakfast is very good. We didn't get to a dinner service, but we did have dessert in the restaurant one night.
I can't say enough about the staff. We were always greeted warmly and every time we had a question it was answered immediately.
My husband stayed here on another trip to Amarillo and he wouldn't stay anywhere else.

Room Tip: i could hear the traffic on Route 40 a little in the morning at the front of the hotel, but other th...