“Nice reuse of historic building” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Free Parking
Ranked #9 of 69 Hotels in Amarillo
Kaufman, Texas, United States
“Nice reuse of historic building”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2014

Stayed at this location for meetings and enjoyed it. It is right downtown and across the street from several good dining locations. Since it's a historic building in downtown Amarillo, I really appreciated the efforts. Parking is a little awkward. Can have breakfast and light dinners here, so fairly self-contained. I didn't have any problems with staff - they were all very nice. And the rooms are a good size.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled on business
CLH724, Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Amarillo Downtown, responded to this review, August 19, 2014
Thank you for staying with us. We are pleased you enjoyed your stay in our beautiful historic property. I hope you had the opportunity to review some of the historic articles throughout the hotel. Please some and visit us again soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
Albuquerque, New Mexico
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2014

Do NOT book this hotel through a third party - the hotel staff at the front desk, specifically a clerk named Elizabeth, are not helpful and borderline rude. I book through third parties (e.g., Hotels.com, Orbitz, Priceline, etc…) all the time in order to save money. In the case of a Priceline booking, I take the risk of whatever room type they book (king or double). For this trip, it was only my daughter and I so that risk was an easy one to take. At the last minute, however, my other daughter decided to join us on the trip. I called the hotel and Elizabeth, as well as her manager, absolutely refused to change my room from a king to a double. The hotel was not booked for that night, they had plenty of double rooms available. They even highly recommended that I not book rooms through third parties and instead book directly with Marriott. I've used Priceline many, many times and occasionally need to change my room type and this is the first time the hotel has refused to change it "as a matter of policy when booking with third parties".

If I were a third party company I would consider taking this hotel off contract - they're going to piss off too many customers that will stop staying at Courtyard by Marriott (e.g., me) and stop using third parties to book.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
CLH724, Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Amarillo Downtown, responded to this review, August 16, 2014
Thank you for staying with us and we certainly do appreciate business booked with all Third Party Vendors. Our hotel policy is based on Third Party Vendor guidelines, specifically to not make any changes to the reservations including: cancellations, guest names, dates of arrival or departure and room type. Our front desk associate was correct when advising we are unable to make changes to your reservation. We are pleased to offer pull out sofa beds in the majority of our guest rooms which can be requested and accommodated based on availability. I apologize you were unhappy with your stay.
Basehor
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2014

Spent one night at this hotel while moving on for family vacation. Location was very good, we enjoyed the downtown setting and the rooms were spacious and very nice.

Check in seemed a little awkward and unless you bring your car down to the ground level you will have to carry your luggage upstairs for parking lot.

This would be my pick of Amarillo hotels and would stay here again.

Room Tip: We stayed on the fourth floor without a view and would recommend staying on higher floor
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
CLH724, Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Amarillo Downtown, responded to this review, August 12, 2014
We are pleased you enjoyed your recent stay, and we look forward to seeing you again soon.
Austin
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2014 via mobile

The room we reserved was not available. Front desk worker had poor communication skills. Requesting a late checkout was a chore. No toilet paper or paper towels in lobby restroom. Tried to charge us for an extra night. Not recommended.

• Stayed August 2014
CLH724, Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Amarillo Downtown, responded to this review, August 4, 2014
Thank you for staying with us. Our departure time is 12 noon, with a late check out of 1pm available upon request.
El Paso, Texas, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2014

I really enjoyed this hotel. I grew up in Amarillo and dragged polk as a teenager. I loved the big windows and felt nostalgic seeing all the downtown restoration . I will stay here every time I don't have kids with me. Because there is no pool for kids. It was very quiet and clean. I loved it.

Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
CLH724, Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Amarillo Downtown, responded to this review, July 28, 2014
Thank you for staying with us, we are pleased you enjoyed your stay and look forward to seeing you again.
Austin, TX
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2014

I do NOT like the way the parking is set up. Granted, this hotel is downtown so it won't be the normal parking lot but there was no elevator and the stairs were dirty and smelly. I don't mind taking stairs, but if you have a disability that doesn't warrant a handicap tag so you can park in the check-in area, those stairs will be difficult for you. Besides that, the odor was so bad I actually gagged when I first entered the stairway the night we arrived. It wasn't much better the next morning when we left, but I knew enough to hold my breath.

We arrived after dark and I didn't see the drive-up check-in area sandwiched between the building and the parking lot, so if you stay at this hotel, look for that drive-up area. Since I missed that, I struggled getting bags in the street door and managing my somewhat unsteady 89-year old father on a windy evening.

The interior elevator requires keycards which normally isn't a problem, but a couple of hours didn't fit the slot. After struggling with the check-in, that was one more thing I didn't want to deal with.

The rooms were fairly standard, decorated with modern vibe. Lighting was too dim for an elderly person.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Thank you for sharing your experience, we appreciate your business and apologize our parking design failed to meet your needs. As a Historic Building, we were unable to add an elevator to the parking garage. We do have Guest Check, where you can leave your car while you check in and take luggage to your room. Complimentary Garage parking is available for all hotel guest and may be accessed by registered guests.
Austin, Texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2014

I am a loyal Marriott customer and stay at Marriott's all over the country. This is a nice hotel with large clean comfortable rooms. My big beef with this hotel is that they do not offer a complimentary tea service. They offer complimentary coffee, and all other Marriott properties I have stayed at offer both tea and coffee in their lobby. The staff told me they "are not allowed to offer tea, that if corporate was to come in they would get in trouble if they had tea available." This sounds utterly ridiculous. Perhaps this is actually true, and has something to do with the fact that they have a Starbucks bar in their Bistro. Maybe they have some corporate agreement to fleece tea drinkers by forcing them to pay for tea. Regardless, I find this to be inconsiderate and poor customer service. Our room cost us $150. The old adage "penny wise and pound foolish" comes to mind. Frankly, I'm disgusted.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
CherylGH, Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Amarillo Downtown, responded to this review, July 27, 2014
Thank you for staying with us, we value all our guests and appreciate you taking time to share your thoughts. We are pleased to offer Starbucks Tea and Coffee service 24 hours a day in the hotel lobby, these items may be purchased at the front desk 24 hours a day or in the Bistro during their hours of operation. In December 2013 Marriott discontinued complimentary coffee and tea service in all Courtyard Hotels.

Been to Courtyard by Marriott Amarillo Downtown? Share your experiences!