“Great Place to Stay” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #9 of 69 Hotels in Amarillo
Lubbock, Texas
“Great Place to Stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2012

This was my second visit to the Downtown Courtyard, same great service. Next door to great restruants and lae-night fun.
Rooms were clean, staff frendly and the over-all atmosphere was professional and catered to the customers needs!
It is a great place for the business traveler or a couples get-away!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
Bonsall, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2012

If you absolutely must stay in downtown Amarillo, then this hotel is definitely your best bet. It is new, but in an old bank building. The interior decor is very modern, but attractive. They have retained very little of the original building's features, but it might have been unsalvageable by the time the hotel was built.

The rooms are typical for a Courtyard with attractive contemporary decor, comfortable beds and nice amenities. Rooms have a large LCD TV and refrigerator. Our room with two queen beds was twice the size of a typical Courtyard and included a sofa bed. The air conditioning worked well and was fairly quiet. Water pressure in the shower was very good and the temperature consistent.

The staff was polite and attentive, but I only saw a manager once during my two day stay. The front desk was unattended twice when I walked by it. Otherwise, the service is fine and housekeeping is very good.

This Courtyard is in the new format with the "Go Board" touchscreen in the lobby that is supposed to give local information, weather, etc. I love technology in general, but I found this to be nothing more than a marketing gimmick. There are TVs everywhere for no apparent reason. They even have them embedded in the wall on each floor when you step out of the elevator. Are you supposed to stop and watch TV or what? I don't get it.

The new format replaced the restaurant with the Bistro. The seating area is nice with many different configurations, including round booths with individual TV in the divider. However, the food service aspect of it doesn't work at all. Food is ordered from a limited, and overpriced, menu at the counter. The only drinks they serve, besides Starbucks coffee, is in plastic bottles from a self-serve case. They do serve cocktails in the evening, but if you want juice or a soft drink you have to buy it in a bottle. The food was OK, but the selection is minimal and there are lots of rules about what you can buy when. For example, they have yogurt in the case, but when I tried to buy it I was told it is only for sale at breakfast (she did ultimately give it to me though.) OK, so why is it out in the display? I watched many people arrive and look totally bewildered about how the system works, so apparently it doesn't. it took forever for the food to come out once ordered, but the staff was very nice and the food was fine. Breakfast is only served until 9:30 am and there are NO options nearby if you miss it.

A huge problem for anyone who has to work while at this hotel is that their internet service blocks FTP transfers and doesn't allow access to the web by any .html editing software. This makes it impossible to upload or update webpages, which is something I have to do while on the road. I have never had this problem elsewhere.

The location downtown is the main drawback of this hotel. There is NOTHING around it. There is a Mexican restaurant across the street that is OK, several nightclubs and a wine bar. That's pretty much it. Go two blocks in either direction and you are in very sketchy residential areas. I wouldn't walk around the area at night. The area is dead after 5:00 pm and on weekends. If you are here to visit Palo Duro Canyon or the Panhandle Plains Museum, you should stay in the city of Canyon instead. It is much nicer than Amarillo and has a number of restaurants to choose from.

Others have mentioned the weird parking. It is in an attached garage and is free, but the only way into the hotel is at the ground level. The hotel wasn't full so we could park on the bottom level, but if you have to go up two or three levels you'll have to haul your luggage down the stairs or the ramps to the lobby level to get into the hotel. Be sure to park in the check-in area first because you need your room key to access the rest of the garage. You have to drive out and around the block again to get back in. It is a minor hassle, but not all that big of a deal.

If I had to stay in Amarillo again, and I hope I don't to be honest, I would gladly stay here again. It is a good value even when you have to pay for breakfast.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
anaheim
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2012

I've stayed at several Courtyards over the years. Everyone that I had been to, until now, had an actual Courtyard. They were usually 2-3 story properties built around a courtyard with a pool and amenities. They had free continental breakfasts every morning. So I was a little shocked to be booked into a Marriott Courtyard that had NO courtyard. And no pool. And no free breakfast. I was on vacation, won a trip, and when offered the chance to stay at the Marriott Courtyard I said yes. My bad; it never occurred to me to check to see that this Marriott Courtyard would be like all the others I had stayed at. When you stay at a chain you expect the brand name service.

To top it off, not only was there nothing to do at the hotel except drink, there seemed to be little to do in Amarillo except drink. Many of the guests I saw going into the hotel were bringing their own alcohol. Going out after dark is not recommended in this neighborhood without an armed escort. And though we were only a few blocks from both the Amarillo Police Department and the County Sheriff's Office, not once did I see a cop on patrol in 4 days. The closest I got was when I saw a parking enforcement vehicle driving down Polk Street as I was leaving. I witnessed drug dealing just a block from the hotel. The area is kind of scary, especially a few blocks East filled with biker bars and other dives. When we checked in we rested and watched t.v. after our flight before going out and when I turned on the t.v. to the local news the top stories were that of a murder and a home invasion robbery, both not far from the hotel.

This is not a hotel for couples or families. It is geared towards business customers attending conventions at the nearby convention hall. I'm glad my kids are all grown up and that I didn't take them here. But am sorry I stayed here. If I had been paying for it I would have left and gone somewhere else.

It is great and all that they restored this beautiful old building, and the interior decor is modern, if you like that sort of thing. At night you need to use your room key to get into the building, but I never did see any hotel security. And you have to park in an un-secured parking structure next door, and walk down the parking structure to the ground floor to access the hotel.

The front desk people were helpful and nice, no complaints there.

Room Tip: Every room faces out onto a dreary downtown. I had a room with a view of an abandoned building cover...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Henderson, Nevada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2012

We spent three nights here April 7-10 and loved it. The bed was wonderfully comfortable; the flat screen tv was great; wi-fi worked great in the room; it was nice to have a refrigerator in the room; bathroom was large; everything was clean & modern; employees were helpful; we enjoyed the coffee shop; parking was easy and free. We would happily stay here again.

Room Tip: Higher floor facing north offers a nice view and little street noise. Park in the check-in parking...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Albuquerque, New Mexico
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2012

If you are looking for a spot to stay at in the "center of it all" then this is the place. Staff was very pleasant. The room was very nice. I didn't want to get out of bed because it was so comfortable. All the amenities of home right in your room. The only down side was parking was a wee bit tight, albeit free - you can't beat that! My overall experience was great and I'd definitely recommend staying here!!

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
dallas, tx
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2012

This place was very modern, and the bed was SUPER comfy. Even the pull out couch was very good. I was informed the breakfast wasnt worth the value, and to go out to IHOP or somewhere else, if you wanted your money's worth. The shower was good, high pressure, amenities like the soap, shampoo, etc were very good. For the $$$, this place was a GREAT place to relax, and not worry about a run down, non-relaxing hotel. This was a place you could count on to cater to your needs, and have a restful time. TWO THUMBS UP! AAA+++

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
Arlington, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2012

My husband and I stayed at the Ambassador on our way to Colorado from Texas because it was mentioned by everyone as the best place to stay. It was old, decorated weird, felt unclean and kind of creepy. We are pretty easy to please so for us to not like something means its pretty bad. We decided to try the Courtyard Downtown Amarillo on the way home. It was GREAT! The location is great with one fun places across the street (wine bar, Mexican restaurant, bakery and Italian restaurant). The rooms are VERY nice with a fridge/bar area, nice flat screens, modern decor, large bathroom and soft beds. The lobby is decorated equally as nice with a little library area, computers, sitting area with flat screens, market and little restaurant selling Starbucks, wine, food etc. very similar to the Aloft style. The hotel is in an old/historic building but the decor is modern. Not to mention the lady at the front desk was super helpful. I can't figure out why this place isn't listed as the number one place in Amarillo to stay? We would def stay here again.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family

Been to Courtyard by Marriott Amarillo Downtown? Share your experiences!