“Clean, convenient, nice amenities” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #4 of 66 hotels in Amarillo
Hemphill, Texas
“Clean, convenient, nice amenities”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2012

We had never tried a Sleep Inn but did so based on TripAdvisor reviews and wasn't disappointed. This is a nice hotel, clean, convenient to I-40, and well appointed. For an overnight stop while on a driving trip, being close to some good places to eat is a plus for us. The Amarillo Sleep Inn is across the parking lot from both a Hoffbrau steakhouse and an Outback restaurant. We ate at the Outback and it was excellent. The Sleep Inn has a well equipped fitness center, a decent breakfast, and unusually good in-room lighting. Virtually all mid- and budget-priced hotels now use environmentally friendly, but terribly dim light bulbs. The Sleep Inn folks managed to find some of those bulbs that actually provide nice bright light. That may not be important to everyone, but I particularly like good lighting. The only negative about our Sleep Inn room was that the air conditioning wouldn't get very cool. It wasn't unbearable, but we like to sleep in a cold room and we just couldn't get this to a temperature to our liking. I'm fairly sure that the very accommodating staff would have switched rooms had we asked, but we were tired and ready for bed and decided not to go through the minor hassle. That said, we liked the Sleep Inn and would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Trevor R, General Manager at Sleep Inn & Suites, responded to this review, August 23, 2012
Thank you so much for staying with us. I am so glad that you enjoyed your stay but I do wish you would have allowed us the chance to get your Air Conditioning working better for you. We do work hard each day to make sure everthing is working in our rooms and it sounds like it was but just not as well as it should have. I will make sure we check that room. Again, thank you for your comments and we hope that you will give us another chance to serve you in the future.

332 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (55)
Las Vegas, Nevada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2012

This hotel was SUPER nice! We were traveling in a group of 4 families (with a total of 11 kids!!) and everyone/everything was great! We would stay here again for sure...the only reason I didn't rate it higher is honestly the tiles surrounding the pool are DANGEROUS!! It is pretty to look at but honestly I am surprised the hotel has never had a cracked head on their hands...it is THAT SLIPPERY! When it was time to go we actually made the kids slide on their hands and knees over to the door when we left because they had already slipped so many times during the time we spent at the pool. Other than that...which its a big one safety wise...this hotel is WONDERFUL!!! Beautiful inside and out. ...and it doesn't hurt that there is an Outback Steakhouse in the parking lot. Their blue cheese dressing ROCKS!! (;

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Thank you so much for your kind comments about our hotel. To address your issue with our pool deck. We have ordered a coating to be put on the floor that will solve the issue. I look forward to having you stay with us again in the future!
asheville, north carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2012

This hotel was everything one could want in a budget stop along the interstate. The room was very clean and well designed, albeit a bit small. The service was excellent. There were several good restaurant choices nearby. The equipment in the fitness center actually worked, a rare occurrence in my experience. The breakfast was OK, but quite crowded and a bit hectic. Things were running out quicker than they could be replaced.

Room Tip: Try for a room on the side away from I 40.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Trevor R, General Manager at Sleep Inn & Suites, responded to this review, August 17, 2012
Thank you so much for your kind comments about our hotel. We are always very aware of our guest experience and are always looking for points where we can improve. Thank you for being our guest and I hope that we will have the chance to serve you again.
Fort Worth, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2012 via mobile

Stayed here recently. Hotel was full so I was put in 301, a handicapped accessible room. Everything was great except the bathroom, but it was bad enough to negate everything else. Small sink area with no counter space. The shower is designed to allow a roll in wheelchair. To accomplish that they hang a shower curtain with no other water retention device. This results in water flowing over the ENTIRE bathroom floor. There was no way to avoid this. Fortunately they provided 4 bath towels, 4 hand towels and a bath mat that could be used for cleanup.

Stay at this hotel unless they assign you a handicap room. If they do, sleep in your car!

Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
I am so sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your stay with us. Thank you so much for your comments about your stay. Without your comments we cannot hope to improve on every aspect of our hotel. I hope that you will give us the chance to serve you again.
Las Vegas, Nevada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2012

Check in was quick, efficient and friendly. Room was clean and comfortable. Refrigerator was larger than normal. Restaurants were close. No train noise. The value was great. But the best thing was the large walk in shower. This is the first hotel I have stayed in with a walk in shower. Not having to navigate climbing in a tub was great! We will definitely stay here again our next time in Amarillo.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
I am so happy to see that you enjoyed your stay! Thank you so much for taking the time to tell everyone on trip advisor as well. We always want our guests to leave not just satisfied but Raving Fans! I hope that we have the chance to serve you again.
Richmond, Indiana, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2012

We visited several hotels in the area and after seeing the rooms and prices decided that this was the best pick. Check-in was easy, breakfast was great, rooms were clean. Pool was a little crowded, so we didn't make it down to swim. Overall, I was happy with my choice. :)

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Trevor R, General Manager at Sleep Inn & Suites, responded to this review, August 7, 2012
Thank you for staying with us. I am so glad that you enjoyed your stay and that you would take the time to write a review. I look forward to having a chance to have you with us again in the future!
Saginaw, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2012

The rooms were nice and comfortable and passed my wife's Bed Bug Registry qualifications, but there were alot of small issues that would probably prevent me from staying there again if I were traveling with my family.

#1 There was a indoor pool, but it was so cold to the point that it was unbearable for me to stay in it for more than about 5 minutes. After about 2 minutes, my 2 y.o.'s lips were turning blue because he was so cold. My BIGGEST complaint about the pool was that it was completely surrounded with ceramic tile from water's edge to the entry door....and it was slick, very slick to the point the it made me uncomfortable to walk on it for fear of falling. I wouldn't even dare let my child walk on it either because he would fall for sure. I would have to rate this as a big fat failing grade.

#2 The morning breakfast was so, so. This hotel is suppose to have a 3 diamond rating by AAA, but the plates were styrofoam and all the utensils were plastic. I have stayed in lesser priced places where you at least got a real plate, cup, knife, fork and spoon.

Don't get me wrong...the hotel was clean, everybody was very nice and helpful and if I was traveling without my family, all of the above probably wouldn't have been a big deal, but after 10 hours in the car with my wife and two kids...I just wish the issue of the pool wasnt an issue. I work at a hospital and we treat alot of people who slip and fall and walk out of the ER with a cast, and this in my opinion is definately a hazzard, so at least take precautions by wearing aqua shoes or something.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
I am so sorry that we were not able to meet all your needs. We strive with each guest to have you completely satisfied. Our hotel pool is heated so I do not know why it would have been cold. I am sorry that you were not satisfied with that aspect of your that stay. It is unfortunate our foam plates and plastic utensils would affect your positive view of your hotel. We just do not have the room to properly take care of real plates etc. If we did we would have them. I hope that you will give us another try if you are ever back in Amarillo. We would love to have a second chance to impress you more! Thank you for staying with us.

Been to Sleep Inn & Suites? Share your experiences!