“Weekend wedding party” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #33 of 69 Hotels in Amarillo
Amarillo, Texas
“Weekend wedding party”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2014

We spent last weekend at this hotel. Usually when i stay at a hotel located on an interstate highway, i ask for a room on the back side. Our room was located on the West side of the hotel (away from I-27 on the East Side). We were near the North end of the hotel. The traffic on Hollywood / Loop Road was worse than I-27. The A/C unit was loud enough to drown out some of the traffic noise, but then you could not hear the television and certainly not sleep. Very little noise abatement in the hotel from the ourtside or inside. We were getting ready for the wedding on Saturday morning and did not leave the room until just before noon. We did not get room service that day and overheard the housekeepers say that they were not staying for one room. Disappointed.

Room Tip: Stay in a South / West room to avoid as much noise as possible.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Vanessa F, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Amarillo South, responded to this review, June 30, 2014
Thank you for writing a review regarding your recent stay. I greatly appreciate your taking the time to bring this matter to my attention and I apologize for any inconvenience you may have experienced due to the issues you encountered.

It is our goal to provide consistent, superior service and accommodations. Your comments are very important to us. The feedback we receive from our valued guests, like you, enables us to target problem areas and take the necessary actions to ensure similar situations can be avoided in the future. I appreciate the candid feedback we receive and welcome any opportunity to improve.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Epsom, Surrey, England
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2013

We approached Amarillo from the South up I.27 near the junction with Hwy 337, which seems to form the City's Orbital By-pass (or Beltway, but this was not big enough to be called as such)having made a visit to the Palo Duro Canyon, inbound from Atoka, OK.

Right next to that Junction, so dead easy to find, if in a rather exposed no man's land site. Nothing by way of Restaurants or Bars etc within walking distance.

Clean, large modern rooms, new construction (or so it seemed), swimming pool, gym (compact room), so all mod cons.

Internet Issues showed just how good this place's staff actually were. Tried and tried to fix the connection issue, before contacting their ISP and insisting that he spoke to me personally to solve the issue - which he did. Impressed.

Reception were also very helpful and knowledgeable about local Dining Options and recommended having listened to what we liked and were looking for - revolutionary.

In the morning, after a simple breakfast (it is the formula for HIExpresses), we were accurately directed to the point where we could find and join Route 66 heading West.

In summary - Very Good. The Hotel is part of the Chain and in keeping with the Formula. The Staff here, made all the difference.

Oooops - Giving us Room 304 was a joke, right .... ? That view is just unbelievable. Roof of the Porch over the Front Door/Reception cuts horizontally across the middle of the main window. When I get around to it - I'll add that picture

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Vanessa F, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Amarillo South, responded to this review, December 10, 2013
Thank you for our four star review! We do thank you for informing us on some of our problem areas and we do pride ourselves on our staff service. We are always pleased to receive praise and acknowledgement of such a positive nature. We will share this with our staff and look forward to seeing you in the future!
San Antonio, Texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2013

My husband and I stayed here because of an ice storm and we needed to get off of the highway thanks to a flat tire. The front desk clerk was very polite but I noticed there was a kids party in the lobby when we checked in. She said there was a birthday party being held there which didn't register in my mind that it would impact our stay.

We stayed on the second floor. Our room was clean and comfortable. But, the walls and ceiling are thin. The people/children above us were running around and making loud thumping noises late through the night. I did call the front desk to complain and they did apologize and said they would take care of it.

Nothing happened and the herd of elephants kept up with their loud noises until about 2 am. I realize it is some what out of managements control when people decide to be jerks. I do think this hotel is a bad choice based on the thin walls and ceiling. When we were walking down the hallway, we could hear people walking on the third flood. I like sleep and even with my white noise generator and my ipod, I couldn't get any sleep.

The breakfast was ok but the milk was curdled and sour. I would not stay here again if given a choice. If I did, I would make sure I was on the third floor. I do not blame management for the poor construction of this hotel. It at least kept us safe for the night.

Room Tip: Third floor only! Lower floors are too loud
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to make us aware of some of our problem areas. The feedback we receive from our valued guests, like you, enables us to target problem areas and take the necessary actions to ensure similar situations can be avoided in the future. We hope to see you again in the future and give us the opportunity to improve.
Canyon, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2013

We love staying at this hotel! We always get great service and are recognized as choice members with our goody bags and prompt service through our stay. Anytime we needed something it was brought to us and room service/housekeeping was very pleasant and polite through all of our stays so far! Front desk is always helpful and always lets me check in when the fiance is going to be here late so I can have the room ready for him. I love this hotel and it's the perfect distance to get out of Canyon but still enjoy the sights.

Room Tip: Rooms on the west are brighter, but have a better view!
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your five star review! We are always pleased to receive praise and acknowledgement of such a positive nature. We will share this with our staff and look forward to seeing you in the future!
Talmage, Utah
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2013

We checked in around 6 pm on June 13, 2013 and the female clerk on duty at the front desk had a real attitude. I got the feeling that she did not care if we were there or not. When we got there and walked in she was on the phone and I could tell it was a personal call from what was being said. Instead of checking us in she continued talking and I finally asked if she could check us in. A BIG mistake on my part. She was actually rude in her manner, gave me the incorrect price for our reservation and then told me to change the charge on the paper she gave me. I had to pull any information out of her about nearby eateries. If ever a desk clerk needs retraining, this gal does. The room was fine and breakfast was good. But, when you are treated like I was at check in, it leave a bitter taste in you mouth and I would not stay there again because of this clerk. Shame on Holiday Inn for not giving her the correct training.

Room Tip: Front desk training needed. Hotel was fine except for attitude of check in clerk.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Amarillo South, responded to this review, September 24, 2013
Dear lloydroy1960,

Thank you for taking the time to convey your comments regarding your experience with us. We highly value views, opinions and feedback from our guests, as this allows us to constantly improve the service we provide.

I sincerely apologize for the dissatisfaction and poor customer care you had with one of our staff. This is definitely not up to our standards as we always strive to provide the best customer service to each and every guest. We deeply regret the negative experience and impressions you may have had during your visit.

Dhan M
Case Manager
IHGCare
Jackson, Michigan
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2013

Wow, if I wasn't checking out in the morning I would go to a different hotel. The property is very nice, but the cleaning staff is just terrible. There has been old food on my rug from who knows when and about all the cleaning staff does is make the bed and put fresh towels in the bathroom. I wasn't even thanked for being a platinum member of IHG. I travel a lot and tend to spend weeks to months in Amarillo. I can promise I wont spend another dollar at this hotel. About the only plus the place has going for it is some of the front desk staff are polite, but that doesn't come close to making up for the other short comings.

Room Tip: Go to the Holiday inn on the west end of town on Amarillo BLVD. That is the nicest hotel in the city...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Amarillo South, responded to this review, September 21, 2013
Dear gregw357,

Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent visit at our hotel. I truly apologize for for any inconvenience the housekeeping services may have caused you. This is definitely not up to our standards and we are constantly working on improving the quality of service provided. I have taken note and wish to thank you for all your valuable comments. These are of great importance to us and allow us to monitor and improve our service continually.

Janice A
Case Manager
IHGCare
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2013

I can give you a list of reasons not to stay here:

1. Walked in and asked for two nights and was only reserved for one night instead. Had to go back to desk to have room keys re-scanned.
2. Get to the room and the toilet won't flush! My mother had to work on it in order to get it to flush (10:00 at night!)
3. Internet SUCKS! After so many minutes it kept timing out and kicking you off. Slower than molasses...tried multiple times to connect in our room. NEVER did work!
4. Went to the pool and room key wouldn't work. Went to desk and she re-scanned it again. I went back to pool entry and still it didn't work. Go back to desk a second time and get brand new key before it finally works. Desk clerk says to me, "I'm sorry Y'ALL are having so many problems." Excuse me?
5. Finally get to pool and their are no clean towels on shelf. All of the dirty ones are strewn all over the floor? Felt like a sauna too!
6. My biggest problem was the fact that someone had brilliantly (not) put down slick/smooth tile all over the area around the pool! SERIOUSLY??? Our kids must have slipped and fell 20-30 times, literally! Thank goodness they didn't break a bone. HUGE SAFETY ISSUE!!!!
7. Oh, and there was enough hair on floor behind bathroom door to make a wig!! Wasn't ours either...

We had stayed in numerous hotels throughout our trip and this one was by far the worst. One of those where you wake up every few hours to see if its daylight yet! Beds were not comfortable! Tossed, turned, flipped, flopped....UGH!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Vanessa F, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Amarillo South, responded to this review, August 2, 2013
Dear Jill A,
Thank you for taking the time to write a review and tell about your experience during your recent stay. I greatly appreciate you taking the time to bring this matter to my attention and I apologize for any inconvenience you may have experienced due to the issues you described.

It is our goal to consistently provide superior service and accommodations and your comments are very important to us! The feedback we receive from our valued guests, like you, enables us to target problem areas and take the necessary actions to ensure similar situations can be avoided in the future. We appreciate the candid feedback we receive and welcome any opportunity to improve, and I can assure you I will be looking into this matter.

Once again, we appreciate you taking the time to share your comments with us. We know you have many choices when it comes to lodging and we hope you will continue to choose Holiday Inn Express for your future travel needs.

Been to Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Amarillo South? Share your experiences!