“Will Never Stay Here Again” 1 of 5 stars

Kiva Hotel Amarillo
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   2501 IH-40 E, N. Frontage Rd, Amarillo, TX 79104   |
Ranked #60 of 69 Hotels in Amarillo
Oakland, Tennessee
“Will Never Stay Here Again”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2014

My wife and I have traveled extensively during our lives and have stayed in many, many motels. This one is the first one I have been compelled to write a review about. We checked into this motel after a very stressful trip from Memphis to Albuquerque to be with our daughter during her surgery. This is a very old, poorly maintained motel. Whatever was used for wall covering is peeling off, the bed is uncomfortable, and just the feeling of the room not being clean. But the worst thing was the pipe that was dripping water from the room above us into our bathtub. We learned later that this is the drain pipe for the air conditioner on the floor above. Who designes an air conditioning system like that? Would you take a bath in that tub? When we checked out the next morning, we discussed all of the problems with the room with the duty manager, and instead of admitting that his hotel has issues, he attempted to deflect all of the responsibility to various employees. We were never offered any compensation for our lack of sleep and shower. His excuse was that the clerk on duty should not have assigned that room to us. He is the worst excuse for a manager I have seen, and I would sleep in my car on the side of the road if my only choice was this motel.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Rockdale, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2014

We use to stay at La Kiva every time we visited family in Amarillo. It's been a while since we've gone. This last visit was not as good as times before. The cost was around $115 for two nights (cheaper if you book online thru booking.com). The a/c unit needs repairs, we were moved to another room. The beds were okay, not hard as a rock. The pool and spa area was well maintained. You get a free breakfast each morning - they actually have cooks who prepare your eggs to your liking with hash browns, toast, sausage. The location is very convenient & easy to get to (near the Quarterhorse Museum) lots of fast food restaurants near by. They have a nightclub/bar inside the hotel. The bartender did an excellent job! Overall, it was a good stay, just needs some maintaining - no upgrades have been done since our first trip years ago.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Tulsa, Oklahoma
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2014

I would never stay at this motel again! It was so dirty and broken, and it smelled! The pool had some film over the top of it! I actually had a panick attack when my husband and I got to our room! I guess you get what you pay for, or in this case not even that! Save youeself the trouble and stay somewhere else!

• Stayed March 2014
Amarillo, Texas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2013 via mobile

The iced over parking lot and blasting Latin music should have been an indicator to turn around and sleep at a rest stop. The lobby is outdated, but seemed like it would just be an outdated hotel, what else would you get for $60? I looked at one room, which wasn't too terrible, except for the dead moldy thing in the broken fridge. The next room at least smelled a little better, and the fridge was working- no shelves though. The smell turns out to be a cover for the massive amounts of urine on the floors and moldy water stains poorly covered on the walls. The carpet was tearing up all around the walls and in multiple other places. While inspecting the first bed, I found what looks like blood stains from, what could only be, a death. Upon looking under the mattress, bad idea, I found a mouse nest. The bathroom comes complete with your own grungy towels, that may or may not be completely clean, and plenty of rust and who knows what stains in the tub.The only thing I can say, is the second bed had a mattress pad and minimal visible stains, and the sheets smelled overwhelmingly of bleach. Luckily I travel with my own blanket and pillow, even then I'm sleeping fully clothed and brushing my teeth with a bottle of water. If I had been able to get my money back and it werent 15 degrees outside, I would've taken it and slept in my car. I'm not even going to look at breakfast.

• Stayed November 2013
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2013

A sense of dread came over me as our college group walked into the hotel. What was once a decent hotel and conference center, now was a decent hotel and conference center for rats and roaches. In fact, I think I even saw a sign pointing to where the local support group for rodents and other critters who narrowly escaped the exterminator met... "Ok, I can do this! I can do this!" I said to myself. When I walked into the room, I never took off my clothing or shoes. I maybe slept one or two hours on top of the bedding (which was very holey from cigarette burns). I tried very hard not to let any of my belongings touch the floor, for fear of toxic mold and that the members of the insect/rodent party would transfer to a new location, via my luggage. My roommate, who happened to be my Mom, was also dismayed at the accommodations.

The next morning, I opted out of breakfast (nauseated - wonder why?). Mom went on ahead to join our group. She soon came up again, shaking and pale with wide eyes. "Mom! What's wrong?" Don't go down to breakfast. "Why?" Oh, you really don't want to know... I didn't. But, now I know and you will too...

The line for breakfast wasn't long at the moment. As she went through looking at the 'hot breakfast' options, she had made her choice. The sweaty, big man in the wife beater shirt and hair all over, turned to face her with a frown on his face, as she said, I would just like hashbrowns, please. With a grunt, his bare hand, scraped the scrambled eggs off of the plate back into the warmer. (Gulp.) Ummm, thank you? Already quite grossed out she decided she would not eat the breakfast, but instead get some orange juice. How can you ruin orange juice, right? A different man was serving the drinks. He, like the other man was all sweaty and hairy. She said, I'd like some juice, please. The man turned and stuck his whole arm in the large container of orange juice to give it a stir and presented her with a glass... With extra pulp. As she turned to leave the line, (and dispose of the juice and food) she noticed most of our group members scarfing down their breakfast, unaware of the extra ingredients in their food and juice.

Stay away from La Kiva!!

• Stayed August 2012
Montgomery, Alabama, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2013

Our room was hideous. Ancient nonfunctional air conditioner dripping in the ceiling, peeling paint and wallpaper, every surface covered in dust and/or scum. Instant asthma attack. Interior common areas are not handicap accessible including the lobby! Desk clerk refused to even talk about discounting the $80 charge because "there are no other rooms in town tonight. It not like you have a lot of options." Will never stay here again!

• Stayed June 2013
Dallas, Texas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2013

AVOID STAYING AT THE LA KIVA! This was my first and last time staying at this hotel! Soon as saw the outside I knew it was "ghetto". They charged us $69 + tax. *No Deals* If you wanted a "cheap rate" you got to stay on the wing. Which is run down, smells like wet carpet, pets, beer cigarettes. The bed was broke. We chose to pay a little more for a "better" room. It wasn't much better. There was a kings side bed & a full size bed, which were literally on the floor.. The full size bed was like a foot away from the king bed and the entrance door! The pillows were paper thin, carpet was wet and smelled. We called to front desk to request dry sheets since the ones on the king bed were dirty and had a wet spot. NASTY! We wait till almost midnight to call them back since they didn't bring clean sheets. The front desk guy was rude. And even hung up on my husband! When my husband called back down there he told my husband he didn't hang up on him and to quit drinking so much! RUDE! My husband does not drink at all! Also the lady who checked us in was rude as well. We took a traveler guide in the hotel with a discount coupon. Well the weekend we stayed they weren't honoring coupons due to a rodeo in town. Ok. Fine.. We pay for 2 rooms. My husband goes to the front desk to get swim towels, when he noticed the front desk lady honoring a coupon and gives the family 2 rooms for $40 each. We felt totally ripped off! All night long we heard drunks fighting, cops banging on doors, beer cans/boxes left every where through out the hotel. This happened all night through breakfast! The pool was filthy, the hot tub did not work. I will NOT stay at this hotel again! And I DO NOT recommend anyone staying at this hotel!

Room Tip: There are no "good" rooms.