“La Kiva, not your average Dump!!!” 1 of 5 stars

Kiva Hotel Amarillo
2501 IH-40 E, N. Frontage Rd, Amarillo, TX 79104   |
Ranked #60 of 69 Hotels in Amarillo
San Pedro
“La Kiva, not your average Dump!!!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2008

This place is a [--]! They set me up in the so-called recently upgraded wing. If it was upgraded in the 70's I would've believed them. For a newly remodeled room it was amazing that all the blinds were bent, some broken and none of them had the rod to adjust them. The curtains' rods were also broken. The bed frame is a make shift 2 X4 wooden crate. The fridge in my room had 4 legs, none of them the same height. It tilted downwards and the only way to open it was to tilt it back. The fridge was unplugged when I arrived. Not enough outlets; Fridge, Microwave and lamp all next to main desk, with only one outlet. If you want to plug in your desktop you have to sacrifice either light or your drinks staying cold. The noise was awful, they set me up right next to an elevator that dinged. Also there were a million rugrats yelling and running around. This place is great if you are Mexican with 10 kids. La Kiva is definitely not worth the $75 I paid.

• Liked — Checking Out
  • Disliked — Checking In
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Amarillo, Texas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2008

We went to Texas for a family reunion in July of 2007. Since we live in Colorado, we decided to stop in Amarillo, which was the 1/2 way point. I had stayed at the Kiva about 5 years earlier and decided to try it again. What a nightmare! My daughter and I both have asthma, and my 7 year old son and pregnant older daughter were with us. My daughter and I immediately had a hard time breathing. Our room had no air conditioner and the balcony door would not open. We contacted the front desk and they moved us down the hall.

My asthmatic daughter and I were so sick that evening from the lack of ventilation that we had to call our doctor in Colorado. He told us that we were both having severe asthma attacks and that we needed to go to the hospital. At this point we were afraid to go to a hospital in Amarillo for fear that this hotel was a representation of the city. We stayed on the balcony all night long and left at sunrise to drive home.

Never Again Kiva Hotel!

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — Everything - Filthy!
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled with family
New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2008

I stayed at this property in 2004. I needed a laugh so, just out of curiosity, I checked to see comments from those who have stayed at this place since. Incredible! Someone could write a country song just using travelers' comments! How can this place continue to do business? Unless you are broke and/or homeless, find another place to lay your head!

Stayed August 2004
muyflaca
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2008

Our first choice of a hotel was booked so we tried to use a coupon for this hotel. The coupon was for the unrenovated part of the hotel. Instead we paid extra for a renovated room. If the room we stayed in was renovated I don't want to see one that wasn't! It was dirty, there were burnt holes in the bedspread, the bathroom fan was old, smelled, and was dangerous. I would rather sleep in my car than stay there. They must have spent all their renovation money on the lobby and common area. I feel like it was a bait and switch.

The boy at the front desk the first night was nice but when we left a pillow there and tried to go back for it a couple of hours later we were left waiting for 20-30 minutes. We were told to call back the next day. We did but they still had no info and were told to call back again another day. We did again and this time the same woman we had been dealing with was more rude. We gave up and chalked it up to a horrible experience.

In addition, I don't appreciate being hit up for tips when getting breakfast. The man cooking the food reminded guests about his tip jar when asked a question. In addition, my husband was not able to get me breakfast and bring it to me (I was getting ready to leave the hotel). The man cooking told him that if I wanted it I would have to get it myself even though he had my "breakfast ticket." Yes, they regulate how much you can eat. I'd rather pay the $5 at Denny's and get 10 times better food.

• Liked — The young man at the front desk at 2am.
  • Disliked — Everything else.
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Portland, Tennessee
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2008

"La Kiva" means "The Kiva"

A Kiva is a subterranean room dug out of the dirt and rock which is used for religious rituals.

While I am not sure about the religious rituals, the subterranean dirt room is certainly an acurate description.

I went in with my wife for a room inspection, and we were not impressed. We then asked the desk clerk to see another room, and, you guessed it, We Were Still Not Impressed.
I am not sure which room was worse, and if you combined the good points of both rooms, you still would have a real filthy run-down hole.
I could not begin to tell you how run-down this place is, and the housekeeping staff should all be fired and deported. They should be forced to spend one night in their "cleaned" rooms for a punishment first. This "hotel" does not belong in the United States. I don't even think this hole would be considered "posh" in Bolivia.
Let me give you just one example: When we turned on the bathroom light/fan in the second room we checked out, the bearings in the (open-bladed, yup no covering over the blades) fan started to squeal so loudly that I ducked for cover, and it gave off a burning smell when I turned it off.
Needless to say, we returned to the lobby and gave the desk clerk back the key, then making our escape to the truck. Cheap Room? Yes, it is. But you couldn't pay me 32.95 to stay in this trap.
One more thing, Don't let the mural in the lobby fool you. I think they spent all their renovation money in the lobby. The lobby looks pretty good, a little old, but good. The rooms are TERRIBLE!!!!! I am not exaggerating here. I don't exaggerate in my reviews.
The sad part is this. There is a foundation for an excellent hotel here. The layout was designed for an beautiful and amazing property. It would probably cost over $1-$2 million for such renovations, but it definately has the potential for greatness. It would need lighting, cleaning, modernization of some fundamental points while salvaging the "cowboy" southwest feel of it. It would also need a MAJOR overhaul of all the rooms, but like I said, it has a fantastic foundation.
Very sad to see a nice hotel go bad!

• Liked — The foundation for a potentially great hotel
  • Disliked — They really let it go down the tubes
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled as a couple
Lucerne, Switzerland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2007

My wife and me stayed here during a trip through the USA. This place was a really good find.

Firstly, it's easy to get there...just take one of the close Highway exits.
Then there's the price...we got it for 40$ (had a coupon...coupon books you get at many Fast Food places and Gas Stations).

The inside of the Hotel is kinda Old-School...but it has something.....something cool. There is even a big fountain indoors.

Let's take a look at the rooms:
- BIG
- clean, ours was renovated
- good beds
- clean bathroom

It's a really great place...and safe...it's busy and safely located. And the Big Texan is not far away too.

And then there is the free breakfast...a real breakfast w/ toast, eggs, bacon...

A real nice place...we would definetly stay here again!!!

If you wanna know more about travel in the US or Route 66, visit my (non-commercial) website:

[-]

• Liked — setting, price, rooms, breakfast
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Amarillo
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2007

Married on the 11th of August, arrived at Hotel exhausted and ready to rest before leaving town the next day. 1st thoughts were parking lot did not look safe. Desk clerk then gave poor directions to room 605 on the 3rd floor, all the way back down to ask again, different person better directions. Loaded ALL of our things up to the 3rd floor, to find a smoke detector hanging about 5 inches from the ceiling, real tacky like. Tired and exhausted thought oh well let's just get some ice and relax. No ice bucket, called the desk, "Well come get one" says the desk person, "No, you send one says I" after some words I stormed all the way down to the desk to get the "If you don't like it you don't have to stay here attitude" Then he said he was asking me to leave, so we did! Went to the Comfort Inn across town and had a wonderful time, even got a discount after telling the deskman there about our troubles. I can only hope La Kiva goes out of business.

Stayed August 2007

Been to Kiva Hotel Amarillo? Share your experiences!