“It wasn't the worst Holiday Inn Express or the best..” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #3 of 5 hotels in Alvarado
Macomb, Michigan
“It wasn't the worst Holiday Inn Express or the best..”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2013

Check in wasn't overly friendly and my priority membershp wasn't acknowledged.
Wifi was spotty and slow.
Loud and disruptive party staying on our floor made sleep difficult. Called down to the front desk and the problem was not resolved, if anything their party became louder.
Property was clean but breakfast wasn't available until I believe after 7am weekends, ended up having to drive through McDonalds which was inconvenient.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Alvarado, responded to this review, March 13, 2013
Dear xTraveLoverx,

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments. I would like to apologize for the service you received that did not live up to your expectations and the noise which affected your stay negatively. We are also sorry for the issues you had with our WiFi and our breakfast options. The feedback we receive from our valued guests, like you, enables us to target problem areas and take the necessary actions to ensure similar situations can be avoided in the future. Thank you for staying and we hope you give us another chance to make your stay as best as it can be.

Anthony M

35 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2013 via mobile

The staff and management at this location are awful!
We asked for towels for the pool and got bath mats!!! We were told the indoor pool was heated and it wasn't. They even told us it was fixed and it wasn't. It was freezing!!!We had our kids w/ us so this was the major draw..
There is something that just feels completely wrong about this place. There was a cop making a round around the hallways as well...
Friends of the staff were in the lobby every time we walked thru.
The manager was supposed to call me and never did...

• Stayed January 2013
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Alvarado, responded to this review, January 26, 2013
Dear Travelinghotelguest,

First of all, we like to thank you for having chosen our hotel and we also like to thank you for having taken the time to share your valuable comment with us. I am sorry you were not satisfied with the service you received from our staff. We take all reviews positive and negative very seriously, and your feedback will help us improve for our next guest or your next visit.

Ferdinand G.
San Antonio, Texas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013

My family stayed here on Jan 4, 2013 in two rooms on second floor. Clerk said hotel was not full. We could not sleep due to loud barking dog a few rooms down hallway. Called desk clerk at midnight and asked for dog to be removed, noisy guests moved, or worst case move us. Clerk went up to room, guests did not answer. No other help given, my request to move ignored. Called clerk again at 4:00 a.m. as no one could sleep. Clerk said he'd gotten several complaints on the dog, but could not help us. We checked out at 7:00 am, exhausted, and now having to drive in heavy fog--Thanks. Left several messages for mananger--all unanswered. Manager answered phone once, said let me get back to you in five minutes, never called me back. Asst manager told me she would speak to manager and call be back by noon--never called me back. Finally pinned down asst mgr again, and she offerred to take $25 off our bill--no thanks. I will never stay at this hotel again--I'll try the Comfort Suites next door. Can't believe a hotel does not have a plan to deal with unruly or noisy guests/pets impacting the rest of other guests, at least I didn't see any indication of a plan--or sleep!

Room Tip: If you stay in Alvarado Texas, you may want to look at the Comfort Suites next door, or bring a nois...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Alvarado, responded to this review, January 24, 2013
Dear Douglas G,

Thank you for your feedback. Guest comfort and satisfaction are of the utmost concern to us and our hotel is committed to making every possible effort to provide comfortable, clean and friendly accommodations. Please accept my sincere apology for the noise challenges you experienced during your stay. We rely on you, our guest, to let us know how we are doing and how we can better meet your needs. I have taken note and wish to thank you for all your comments. These are of great importance to us and allow us to monitor and improve our service continually.

Joel B
Cleveland, Texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2012

There are so many things wrong with this hotel. I've stayed at other Holiday Inn Expresses and they've been great but the managers of this site are letting their guests down. They are apparently family oriented and allow all their employees to bring their children to work with them. We booked five rooms for four nights and I saw the front desk staff sit in the common area all day watching TV, one staff member has a baby she lets crawl around on the front reception desk, and this same employee stand behind the front desk straightening her hair. While the staff was fixing their hair and watching cartoons with their children on the morning we were to check out the elevator broke down. We called the front desk twice asking for assistance and were ignored both times and left standing in the hall for 20 minutes just waiting - of course they couldn't be inconvenienced by the guests they were watching cartoons and straightening their hair.

The security camera in the swimming pool area had been tampered with and moved so it only viewed a wall and not the pool. There is no driveway for the hotel and it is hard to get to. You have to turn into the same driveway as another hotel and beer store and drive through one of their parking lots to get to the hotel. They are located right on the freeway access lane and the traffic noise in the morning is excessive. Three of the rooms key-cards kept going out and we kept having to go back to reception everyday and get cards replaced. One of my family members went to reception and asked for a key-card to a room that was another family members room and was handed it without answering any questions or showing any i.d. just given a card to someone elses room.

The hotel was clean and the staff was relatively friendly. But I will never stay at this facility again and would never recommend it to anyone.

Room Tip: the front side away from the highway
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Alvarado, responded to this review, July 25, 2012
Dear loves2laugh29,

Thank you for leaving a comprehensive review of our property during your stay. Your comments are highly valuable to us and will assist us in our continuous efforts to maintain and improve the service level we aim for. I'm happy you liked the cleanliness of the hotel. However, please accept our apologies for any inconvenience the hotel staff may have caused. We will follow up with the staff to ensure that similar incidents won't happen again. We appreciate your feedback as this is our best resource for improving guest services.

Zelyn N.
IHG Care
PHILA PA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2012

Stayed 6/12-6/13/12.

My first trip for business travel to Texas landed me in Holiday Inn- Alvarado. Building is practically new, must be within the last few years. The Staff member was super nice. Checkin and Checkout was fast and easy. Try and get a room away from 35W, can be very loud with trucks all night. Hotel met all of my needs and then some. Used the business center and the fitness center. A great hotel for a business traveler. Should I return to the area, will reconsider staying here. The rates were reasonable and there is plenty of parking. My only complaint, the sink was leaky and dripped most of the night. Cant complain much more. Shame my meeting got me out of there before breakfast was served..

Room Tip: try and get a room NOT facing 35W, very loud road.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
minneapolis
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2012

I was recently here for a one night stay. Check in was welcoming, accurate, and fast. I am not even sure if the front desk agent had clocked in yet as we both came in at the same time. She recognized my Priority Club Status. This front desk agent was Marissa and she truly cares about her guests and making them feel like part of the family at this property. She was a joy to chat with and really enhanced my stay at this property. She is another front desk agent that all hotel properties need that would result in the elimination of that complaint file. Professional but at the same time down-to-earth.

My room was very large, spotless, and the bed was very comfortable. I enjoyed the sofa sleeper in the room and all furniture was of top quality. My room was on the back side of this hotel which is the interstate side but the noise really did not bother me and certainly was never awaken by any noise. I needed a safe deposit box and Marissa assisted with this request. There were a few glitches in the beginning but Marissa did not give up and kept me informed as to what was going on. The box was finally opened and my materials deposited. She followed protocol exactly as should be done--the problem was with the box itself.

The pool area was spotless and very relaxing. It was nice to enjoy after a long drive. The two computers and printer offered was a nice addition to utilize. The breakfast room was a very nice and relaxing place to sit and have breakfast. Items available were both hot and cold and well maintained. The food itself was good, filling and hot. I really could not ask for more.

Location of this property was very convenient to a travellers needs.

It is evident that management and staff care about their property, guests, and making your stay a most pleasant one. I would highly recommend staying at this property in needing overnight accommodations or for even a longer stay. You cannot go wrong here.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
KY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2012

Pros:

- Great rate ($69.00 rate including tax) at holidayinn.com
- Free parking
- Free internet
- Business center
- Complimentary breakfast
- Indoor pool
- Very clean throughout
- Close to Southwestern Adventist University (6 miles - 10 minute drive)
- Across the street from Texas Conference of Seventh-day Adventists
- Very near restaurants (McDonald's, Subway, China Buffet, Pizza Hut Gas stations)
- Less than a mile from a Brookshire's Grocery store

Cons:

- Could not get a late checkout even though I am a Priority Club member

Summary:

If traveling to Alvarado/Keene area, this is one of the three great places to stay in Alvarado with the best rate!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business

Been to Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Alvarado? Share your experiences!