“A real find out in West Texas” 5 of 5 stars

The Maverick Inn
2.5 of 5 Small Hotel   |   1200 E. Holland Ave., Alpine, TX 79830   |
Ranked #1 of 4 Alpine B&B and Inns
Austin Tx
“A real find out in West Texas”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2013

I had zipped out to West Texas from Austin to catch some pictures that night over by McDonald Observatory after the snowstorm that had just passed. Alpine was the easiest spot to get a spot for the night. The Maverick Inn was a great find, I was welcomed in a warm and friendly manner on a cold winter night. He recommended the Holland Hotel for dinner (another amazing place - great food in an unexpected place). The room was quaint in a good way. Small, comfortable, clean, great ambiance of a warm West Texas Inn - a very nice difference from the hotel chains where everything is cookie-cutter. I will gently observe that the walls were not exactly sound-proof, but it wasn't an issue for me. I did chuckle at the ear plugs they provide for the trains that must cross near-by.. I did hear the train whistles that evening and sometime in the morning.. but it wasn't prolonged or a real issue. I guess that's part of the charm. I would most definitely stop by again next time! I did not get a chance to try the food or breakfast - I was out early to catch the sunrise in the local mountains for more pictures.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
TheMaverickInn, Manager at The Maverick Inn, responded to this review, January 7, 2013
Bill,
Thank you for a wonderful review, more importantly that you had a pleasurable stay and made a good find! We'd love any pictures: manager@themaverickinn.com. Thanks, Mark

190 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (64)
Austin, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2012

I really struggled to write this review or not. The plain reason is if I blab about what a great place this is and how fantastic the staff treated us then everyone will want to stay there! We checked in on 12/21/12 for a two night stay and were greeted by the nicest folks (staff) that I've experienced. Check in was quick and painless and they were quick to give expert advice on local attractions, places to eat and all things visitors would want to know about. The facility is a 1930's Motor Court ala Adobe Huts, the rooms have been redone with modern touches such as flatscreen TV, microwaves and fridges. Our room was very clean and featured a West Texas Chic that was at once very homey and comfortable. The walls were plastered (adobe style), hard wood floors, Satillo tiled floors and wooden high ceilings capped it all off. The room was quiet despite being very close to the main drag (Holland Ave). The pool and outdoor seating areas looked nice and inviting, however we never got to use these facilities because we were too busy. Breakfast is included and is served (self service) in the main lobby area. A nice variety of breakfast food, drink sure to please the pickiest of eaters. As we were checking in the Manager stopped us from unpacking and upgraded our room just for the heck of it! How is that for West Texas hospitality! We'll be back again and again! Now do you see why I was hesitant to say anything? I don't want the secret getting out!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
TheMaverickInn, Manager at The Maverick Inn, responded to this review, December 27, 2012
Doc,
Thank you! I can't begin to tell you what a review like yours does for the morale of my wonderful staff, but for myself it gave me "excitement(chill) bumps". It is such a pleasure to share our hotel and "Our Alpine" with others. So, despite your hesitancy to write the review we truly THANK YOU...Mark
ABBOTSFORD
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2012

This motel is one of those rare finds where everything feels just right. The general manager, Mark, made us feel as though we were long time close friends with the assistant, Debbie, also incredibly friendly, bubbly and outgoing. Even the room cleaners where also personable and friendly. The atmosphere of the rooms and lobby, with its eclectic western style motif, along with extremely clean and tidy rooms makes this a must-stay place if you are travelling to Alpine, Texas. I simply can't say enough about how comfortable and at home my wife and I felt staying there and as a world-wide traveller I can honestly say it was probably in the top five places I have stayed at for the total experience. The breakfests and open fridge during the day was also above average.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
TheMaverickInn, Manager at The Maverick Inn, responded to this review, December 14, 2012
Herb,
You have certainly spread the Christmas cheer here with that review, thank you! It was such a pleasure to have y'all here and as much as I would have loved to have gotten to know you better I am also pleased that your visit was cut short, which I hope means we will see you again in the future.
Sincerely, Mark
PS. It was also a pleasure to have you join me Sunday morning in fellowship!
Plano, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2012

Myself , a friend and my dog Lucy recently had the pleaure of staying two nights at the Maverick Inn in Alpine while enroute to Big Bend. It was a great experience! As many other reviewers have already stated, the staff we encountered were outstanding ... friendly, knowledable and professional. And they all seemed like friends we'd known for years (especially Mark and Debby).

Our room was spacious and nicely appointed and the beds/linens were top notch. My dog appreciated the dog bed and treats Mark provided for her at check in.

We enjoyed talking with other guests one night when we built a fire in the firepit in the courtyard and learning more about the area. PS - Mark seems to be the official source of information on the area ... if you have any questions about the locale, he'll probably know the answer!

This is a great place to stay, with loads of character and super friendly West Texas hospitality and I would highly recommend it.

Bob Channell

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
TheMaverickInn, Manager at The Maverick Inn, responded to this review, December 12, 2012
Bob,
Thank you again and Happy Holidays! It really does all of our hearts good to know that we made your trip and West Texas adventure(Lucy too) complete. My staff comes in and looks for new reviews almost first thing everyday, it's kind of a competition to see it first, and a stellar review like yours creates smiles all around. Wishing you and Lucy a very Merry Christmas, Mark
Rockport, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2012

The management was exceedingly nice and professional. The room was very clean, great decor and all the amenities; soaps, shampoos, blow dryer, coffee machine. The complimentry breakfast was wonderful with fresh scones and muffins, also fresh coffee and choices of juices, milk, etc. Dog friendly! Would certainly go back again!!

Room Tip: We had the room directly behind the office. Get it if you can! You get the yard with sitting area an...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
TheMaverickInn, Manager at The Maverick Inn, responded to this review, December 3, 2012
I'm so glad you were pleased with our newest room, and even more so with you taking the time to review it, especially the "room hint". Thank you again and I wish you the best in all your travels, Mark
Hempstead, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2012

I held a photo workshop in Alpine, TX and this is the hotel I selected to be our host hotel.

The staff went way beyond normal help. They were extremely courteous and helpful to everyone. Setup meeting room and meet / greet party. Held equipment in safe place until I arrived. Guests left some items in their room and they called and held for pick up.

Breakfast was good with lots of choices (continental style). The grounds are nice with a nice pool and fire pit area for people to gather and visit in a pretty courtyard.

Will stay again.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Vicki,
Thank you very much for your review and support. I believe congratulations are also in order for your photos in the "Shooting Alpine Contest"!
We hope to see you again in the very near future.
Mark
Austin, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012

The Maverick Inn is an adorable little motor court. There are very nice touches such as the swimming pool and sitting area, the back patio with the fire pit, and a very nice breakfast. They should have played up the breakfast more because it was really delicious and offered yummy coffee, homemade granola, scones, a variety of cereals, oatmeal, yogurts, bagels, and juices. The room was very cozy and nicely decorated. The only reason I wouldn't give it 5 stars is because the bathroom could use updating and the rooms closest to the road can be pretty loud (especially when the trains come through in the middle of the night). Otherwise, it is a great little inn and the staff is friendly and very helpful. I would definitely recommend staying here and will stay here again in the future.

Room Tip: Request a room that is not right next to the road. There are several groups of rooms and the ones aw...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
TheMaverickInn, Manager at The Maverick Inn, responded to this review, November 26, 2012
Thank you so much for the review. I especially appreciate your compliments on our breakfast and coffee. It was good to visit with you both during your stay and hope to see you in the not to distant future, the Big Bend is great in the springtime. Thanks again, Mark

Been to The Maverick Inn? Share your experiences!