“I'd try someplace else until they get cleaned up” 1 of 5 stars

Cuisines: American, Diner
Dining options: Late Night
Dining options: Late Night
San Antonio, Texas
“I'd try someplace else until they get cleaned up”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2010

I was not very fond of this place and think it could use a very thorough cleaning. This could be a nice place, but it is run down. It's a diner and the waffle iron doesn't work??? With a little & much needed fix up, this could be a cool place.

• 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

San Angelo, TX
“Great diner food!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2009

We had breakfast at Penny's Diner...everything was cooked perfectly and was delicious! Although they were very busy, one of the cooks came and brought us coffee right away. As someone who cooks, I was impressed by the quality of everything...bacon, cooked perfectly and not too fatty. Gravy for biscuits, creamy and smooth. Eggs, delicious! I will definitely try their lunchtime burgers and Blue Plate Special whenever I return to Alpine. As for price, we found it very reasonable.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Spicewood, TX
“Worth a stop . . .”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2009

My husband and I ate a good breakfast at Penny's Diner in Alpine July 5, 2009. It's a shiny diner in a parking lot between two motels. College-student waitress was friendly and prompt. She kept my husband's coffee cup filled, and I was able to get some fruit for my breakfast, which is often hard to do on the road. He said his pancakes were good. The diner is open 24 hrs./day, a big plus in a small town. I don't know about the rest of the menu but the breakfast was definitely better than we'd had downtown the day before. For hikers, they offer a Brown Bag Special with two sandwiches to go at a fair price.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Tyler, TX
“There are much better restaurants in Alpine.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2009

Not a big menu. Everything seems to have been previously frozen and then fried, grilled or microwaved. The mashed potatoes are instant. My wife and I both had side salads as part of our dinners. Her italian dressing was a packet, like you would get at McDonald's. My ranch was brought to the table in a large condiment bottle, marker Ranch in permanent ink.

Now that we have been to other retaurants in town we realize that not only was the food sub standard for Alpine, it is also expensive for Alpine. We should have know what to expect when we walked in at 6:00 and only one other table was taken.

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere